The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the gas tank size mentioned earlier, when felling trees I had never noticed fuel consumption, bucking a 70 foot fir is a different story, seems I was fueling up every 20 feet or so, I do have a saw that will fell and buck all day on a tank of gas, but I won't mention it because it is not yellow.

on the gas tank size mentioned earlier, when felling trees I had never noticed fuel consumption, bucking a 70 foot fir is a different story, seems I was fueling up every 20 feet or so, I do have a saw that will fell and buck all day on a tank of gas, but I won't mention it because it is not yellow.

Yeah my SP-81 is mighty thirsty when bucking big wood. Ran through two tanks when we were doing this lot, and mine wasn't the only saw running. After our GTG was done, we still had some big log sections to buck into firewood length. The bigger stuff here was about 3-6" beyond the tip of my 32" bar.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00002-1.jpg

Last edited:
Older Mac 10-10A bucking spikes?

Hi all, thanks for a great and informative thread! I've been working on my grandfather's old Mac 10-10a (1970 LH pull model). My grandfather and dad used to cut firewood with it in the 70's and 80's then it sat for probably 10 years before my older brother got it and used it for a few years in the woods of Maine before sending it my way about a year ago. He had lost the oil tank cap, but once i got that and put fresh gas in it, the saw came to life. Seems this saw just won't quit! I'm picking up a new air filter and fly wheel guard and carb kit to freshen it up but other than that it runs (and sounds!) like a beast. I was wondering does anyone know you can get bucking spikes for it? I've seen a few online and it seems like the mounting holes wouldn't line up on the saw...am I missing something?

I'll take a few pics this weekend to add to the post.

Thanks!

There are two basic spike designs, one fits the short clutch covers and the other fits the long clutch covers. The same one fits long clutch covers on both 10 Series and 600 Series saws and are the most common ones on e-bay. The ones for the short covers have an offset bend in them and a different hole pattern than the flat ones that fit the late model saws.

Marketing

I've got a 10-10 from about 1980 I think is the year. A couple of weekends ago I dragged the family out to help me cut some fire wood. I usually take a couple of chainsaws in case I hit a rock, pinch a saw or some other stupid trick. After sawing with one of my fine Stihl chainsaws, I put the ear plugs-in and cranked the McCulloch. My wife and kids had never heard that saw run before and it was a blast seeing their reaction to it. It cut GREAT, but you are right - pound for pound, it's got to be the loudest chainsaw out there. On our day out, there was no question it was a chainsaw in the woods, not a weedeater.

BTW, saw has an 18 inch bar, spikes and I was bucking up an old dead oak that was about 22 inches in diameter. I'd bury the saw and it would lug right through the wood.

Great saw!

Bill

Some of the old Homelites will give them a run for their money as far as sound goes. I have three of them, Zip, Buz, C5. Some of my older Macs are loud too, 1-40 and 1-42. These saws may not have quite the ear piercings that the 10-10 has because they are run at a lower rpm but they definitely have less of a muffler.

Did the 10-10s come from the factory with a screen in the muffler? I have a perforated piece of metal in mine, but no S/A screen. Pics if you need them.

My saw is Black & Decker vintage.

Thanks

My dad had one. I think it was new in 72. It was the first saw i ever ran i was 9 the first time i ran it. We started burning wood in the early 80s i cut a lot of wood with it. In 83 my buddy that i cut with got a Partner to try out and the next day i got a new 500 partner it was a gift from god geting away from the 10-10. It was a good saw but was loud and had no AV. brought back a lot of good memories.

I ran a few 10-10s back in the late '70s early '80s.

They worked as good as anything else back then.

When it came to buying for myself, I opted for the 7-10s.

Negligible weight difference, 13-16 more cc, I like my 7-10s.

I ran a few 10-10s back in the late '70s early '80s.

They worked as good as anything else back then.

When it came to buying for myself, I opted for the 7-10s.

Negligible weight difference, 13-16 more cc, I like my 7-10s.

I never did see one of them around here when they were new, saw lots of homelites and poulans, even pioneers, but don't know of any stores that carried any of the 10 series Macs. They must have come from somewhere because there's tons of them used around here, I have 5 or 6 of them.

That old roller nose is way cool! I have never seen one on a bar that size. Mostly see them on 36" and longer. Nice looking saw!

I never did see one of them around here when they were new, saw lots of homelites and poulans, even pioneers, but don't know of any stores that carried any of the 10 series Macs. They must have come from somewhere because there's tons of them used around here, I have 5 or 6 of them.

Talked to the old Amish Chap down at the Stihl shop.

He said they sold tons of Macs back in the day.

His personal saw back then was a 7-10, old Dave has never steered me wrong!

He uses a 460 now.

Too bad his boss is such a arsewhole (English)

I have a 10-10 and a 10 10e i want to get rid of. going to post in the classified section. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message.

Ran my fixed jet SP81 a week or two ago in a 22 inch frozen chunk of sugar pine.

[video=youtube;Ozw_VNeZwWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozw_VNeZwWY[/video]

played with a few yellow saws that day

Photo0700_zpseafb7391.jpg

I always loved these old saws. The first time I went cutting as a kid it was to the sound of a mac 10-10 and once you have herd that sound you never forget it. I also have a late 1960ies early 1970ies 10-10 non auto with a yellow air filter cover and hard nose bar for sale it runs great if any one is interested shot me a PM. I will be posting a picture of it on here soon.

Back