The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably explains why it faded away. I've never run a big saw, but those I've run, vibration has never been an issue.

I don't consider a 33 year production run to be fading away.

Yep. I have to laugh when I see people parrot the old line about a 10-10 (or a Homelite SXL) shaking so bad your fingers fall off after a couple tanks of fuel. They're not that bad. Not by a LONG stretch....

With all due respect to my MAC brethern, now that I have a little age on me I can't run my PM700 beyond the first tank without a substantial break for my left hand. Then again, thirty years ago I couldn't ride my Yamaha 650 over 60 mph for more than a half an hour before the numbness in my rear creeped down my legs.

No problem with the AV MACs.

Ron

Yep. I have to laugh when I see people parrot the old line about a 10-10 (or a Homelite SXL) shaking so bad your fingers fall off after a couple tanks of fuel. They're not that bad. Not by a LONG stretch....

No one would ever notice any shaking if someone didn't mention it first. I used to use the Homies and Macs all the time and never noticed any shaking, but that was back then when we never had av.

With all due respect to my MAC brethern, now that I have a little age on me I can't run my PM700 beyond the first tank without a substantial break for my left hand. Then again, thirty years ago I couldn't ride my Yamaha 650 over 60 mph for more than a half an hour before the numbness in my rear creeped down my legs.

No problem with the AV MACs.

Ron

Well, Ron, I can say with certainty that a Yamaha XS650 shakes more than a 10 series. I mean, you can have an XS on the side stand idling, and watch the front wheel jump off the ground. Now, I'm not saying a 10-10 is as smooth as a Husky, but it never gets too bad for me, and I have Carpal Tunnel.

Well, Ron, I can say with certainty that a Yamaha XS650 shakes more than a 10 series. I mean, you can have an XS on the side stand idling, and watch the front wheel jump off the ground. Now, I'm not saying a 10-10 is as smooth as a Husky, but it never gets too bad for me, and I have Carpal Tunnel.

You can always put some foam wrap on the handle if it gets too bad.

I slipped some 3/4" heater hose over the handle on a 10-10S, seems to provide a nice grip, some cushion, and is pretty durable stuff as well.

Mark

Both of my 10-10S saws already have a padded handle bar, I think they came out that way. I do have some older 10-10 saws without any padding, might be worth trying on them. I noticed my local lawnmower shop had some ready made padding that looks a little like pipe insulation only without the slit, looked like it was for either mower handles or chainsaws.

Got this as part of a deal yesterday ..

... a very nice Pro Mac 10-10. Has original 16" bar on it. I might flip it or keep it; got a Pro Mac 20" bar for it so it'll go well with my plans for my PM700 & PM800.

GEDC0499.jpg

GEDC0502.jpg

... a very nice Pro Mac 10-10. Has original 16" bar on it. I might flip it or keep it; got a Pro Mac 20" bar for it so it'll go well with my plans for my PM700 & PM800.

GEDC0499.jpg

GEDC0502.jpg

I don't believe I would flip that one...it seems like a very good example of a 10-10, clean, complete. I think I'd even leave that bar and chain on it, they're kinda fun to run that way.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped me with the date and IPL a couple pages back for my 10-10. Decided to follow a members suggestion and just run it and not do a full restore on it since it is in such nice shape. Got the carb rebuilt and the thing runs liked a raped ape now. My son helped me with it and it was his first carb rebuild (he's 16) and you should have seen his eyes when it it turned over and started up after we were done! He was just as proud as he could be. A good day in the shop all around!

Regards,
Tom

I like my mcculloch 10-10 the only thing is it has a lot of power and a small gas tank so it seems it runs out of gas right away unlike the homelite zip full tank gas can go a long away.

I like my mcculloch 10-10 the only thing is it has a lot of power and a small gas tank so it seems it runs out of gas right away unlike the homelite zip full tank gas can go a long away.

That is one failing with the 10-series. It gets worse with increased displacement. My 70cc PM700 runs out faster than a 54cc 10-10A............and my 82cc SP-81 really empties that little tank fast. The tradeoff is relatively light weight for the displacement, power, and age of the design. I haven't put it on the scale yet, but my SP-81 with a 32" B/C 'feels' lighter to me than a 372XP with a 32" bar. Outcuts the Husky in bigger wood too. Has to be gassed up at least twice as often though. That's not so bad when you're outa shape and cutting in 100deg+ weather however. In those conditions I tend to run out of gas before the saws anyways.....:D

Might not hold as much gas as the newer saws, one of the things I like is the major simplicity of design, and the balance of a 10-10. Nothing feels better IMO, and I have swung quite a few different saws in my day.

I don't see any problem with fueling it up more frequently, gives you time to take a break. The only time it would become a problem to me would be if I was doing production work, which I won't be.

Actually, before it was mentioned here about the small tanks I hadn't really noticed...

Latest posts

Back