The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can anyone tell me the procedure for taking apart the fuel tank on an sp70? I got the 4 screws out (one of them barely, had to use a heat gun and some PB Blaster) but there appears to be a heavy-duty sealant under the paint between the 2 halves. do I just cut the sealant away and pry it apart? don't want to mess it up. I can feel some crud and maybe corrosion inside and want to take care of it. also, I have some POR 15 fuel tank coating. has anyone used that successfully? thanks!

The general consensus is not to split those tanks . Rather use bb's or nuts and rattle it clean inside and use a fuel tank sealant. I have used Red Coat successfully for mag tanks.

funny you say that. I have a bluebird dethacher and a bluebird over seeder and they both have great running old briggs motors. both of them have the big metal fuel tanks and had rust. recently I used a big handful of hardened stub nails and purple cleaner and shook the crap out of them, and they came out immaculate. used the POR15 and it worked great. kitted both carbs and they run like new.

have enough of the POR 15 to do the same with this tank. great advice. thanks!

I called POR to ask about using their product on cast magnesium and they were closed for the day. sent them an email. have read good things about Red Coat but I'd like to use what I have if it will work. stuff is fantastic on steel if you prep it right.

thanks again MS.

They are not intended to come apart as they are sealed with epoxy. I fill the tank about 1/2 way with BB's and put it in a fixture on the lathe them rotate it slowly for an hour or so in each direction. After cleaning it out with a final acetone wash I seal it again with Red Kote.

This happens to be a Poulan tank but you get the idea.

20180224_160435.jpg

DSC07111.JPG

I've done a couple of fuel tanks and a gearbox or two with POR 15 but I prefer the Red Kote. Just be sure to allow it to cure fully before adding fuel.

Mark

OEM on the left, 3D printed on the right.

View attachment 995187

OEM

View attachment 995188

3D printed

View attachment 995189

It was necessary to use a smaller grid to get these to print without putting supports in every grid opening. You can still see how the extruded filament sags a little on the first horizontal layers, but at arms lengths or with the saw running you don't really notice.

View attachment 995193

View attachment 995194

Mark
Mark will these fit a pro mac 10-10 if so what is the cost?

it's been a good last few days. I picked this up Saturday am in Clearwater, went over it with a fine-tooth comb sat afternoon and spent Sunday in the woods on it. it's a 2020 model with 25 hours on the digital dashboard.
8-28-22.jpg

it's been a good last few days. I picked this up Saturday am in Clearwater, went over it with a fine-tooth comb sat afternoon and spent Sunday in the woods on it. it's a 2020 model with 25 hours on the digital dashboard.
View attachment 1013626
Nice but too many valves n cam shafts hehe :)

Latest posts

Back