The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like they changed the bottom half of the fuel tank as the carburetor bolts right up.

Here is a shot inside the 5-10 I received with more home spun adapter to fit the cube carburetor to a saw originally fit with a flat back type carburetor.

Mark

I got the original bullfrog carb with the saw. It was changed at the Mac dealer at the time with original parts. Seems indeed like a direct bolt up.

Pro Mac 10- 10 Rebuild

anyone interested in doing a rebuild? I will pay top dollar, the guy i usually go to is retiring next week and I have nothing. let me know. thanks

anyone interested in doing a rebuild? I will pay top dollar, the guy i usually go to is retiring next week and I have nothing. let me know. thanks

I can't remember (from your other posts) what exactly your saw needs as far as a 'rebuild' goes. PM me the details regarding the condition of the saw and what it needs. You'll have to factor in shipping across the country (both ways), so that may or may not put things beyond what you want to spend.

Stopped by the local saw shop on a whim and found an example of the king of the 10 series saws there for 15 bucks. No bar cover or bar and chain, but it is a solid start to my first 82cc Mac. If I can figure how to post pics from my phone I will, otherwise a pic will have to wait till I get on my computer:). I am so happy I cannot standit!!:rock:

Stopped by the local saw shop on a whim and found an example of the king of the 10 series saws there for 15 bucks. No bar cover or bar and chain, but it is a solid start to my first 82cc Mac. If I can figure how to post pics from my phone I will, otherwise a pic will have to wait till I get on my computer:). I am so happy I cannot standit!!:rock:
Here is a pic
attachment.php

Restoration time

Hey everyone!

First off I would like to thank everyone for the info on this site. I think that I have read all the pages of this thread 3 times. I am 30 years old and have been messing around with saws the last 8 yrs or so. I just had my husky 450 crap out on me and picked up a stihl 290. I really like the power of the 290 but definitely liked the weight and feel of the 450 better. Anyway.... About 8 years back, my dad handed my grandpas Mac 10-10 down to me. I really didn't think much about it at first - it ran good but was well used. I decided that newer meant better and bought the 450. I am not sure if it is age or what, but I am really starting to appreciate the heritage behind the "family" saw. That and the fact that I am more secure now on the funding front has made me to decide to restore the saw so that my sons have it to use some day. I was able to find a replacement break handle but still need a brake band and muffler (anyone got one to sell?). Also, I think that I have found a decal set, but am still looking for the paint code if anyone has it. Sorry for the winded reply and thread hijack but I wanted to say thanks to all of you true "Mac Doctors" out there, I am sure that you will be hearing more from me! Thanks again!

Hey everyone!

First off I would like to thank everyone for the info on this site. I think that I have read all the pages of this thread 3 times. I am 30 years old and have been messing around with saws the last 8 yrs or so. I just had my husky 450 crap out on me and picked up a stihl 290. I really like the power of the 290 but definitely liked the weight and feel of the 450 better. Anyway.... About 8 years back, my dad handed my grandpas Mac 10-10 down to me. I really didn't think much about it at first - it ran good but was well used. I decided that newer meant better and bought the 450. I am not sure if it is age or what, but I am really starting to appreciate the heritage behind the "family" saw. That and the fact that I am more secure now on the funding front has made me to decide to restore the saw so that my sons have it to use some day. I was able to find a replacement break handle but still need a brake band and muffler (anyone got one to sell?). Also, I think that I have found a decal set, but am still looking for the paint code if anyone has it. Sorry for the winded reply and thread hijack but I wanted to say thanks to all of you true "Mac Doctors" out there, I am sure that you will be hearing more from me! Thanks again!

Welcome to AS!

Based on your description, you have a Pro Mac 10-10 or similar variant.

PM me if you are interested in a good muffler. Cannot help on the brake band.

Don't have a paint code as such, but have used 'Sunshine' somethingorother from TSC over metal-etching primer with good results. Went over that with clear engine enamel and baked on the dashboard of the pickup.

Good luck!

Thanks warped. I am going to cross reference the SN tomorrow to find the exact model number. I will see if I can figure out how to get pictures posted on here. I will send you a pm.

Not to take away from Aaron, but If you guys dont work something out, I only live 40 mins from you and just picked up a decent looking 10-10 and may be interested in doing a rebuild.

Hey everyone!

Welcome to AS and the wonderful world of real saws! You will not be disappointed I the 10-10. With the 10 series, it only gets better the more you learn!:rock:

attachment.php

My buddy's 10-10 cover, showcasing the new commishioned decals he had done by a local sign shop. Even with setup and all they were under 40 bucks. He is building this saw up for his padre for Father's Day.

So I finally got back around to working on my Mac 10-10 A that I got from a buddy. Looking to replace the fuel filter and it's some kind of felt filter that the local store doesn't have. The fuel line also has a cavity that the filter goes into. Is there a filter for sale for this? Would a stone filter do it. If so do I need to cut off the large rubber part that holds the old filter style.

My other question is, if I take off the fuel tank to clean it out to I need to replace the gasket. If I do is there a good source for these? Fuel tank is full of brown nastiness.

Thanks for any help on this.

Picture
sunutu4u.jpg

meqy8ery.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally got back around to working on my Mac 10-10 A that I got from a buddy. Looking to replace the fuel filter and it's some kind of felt filter that the local store doesn't have. The fuel line also has a cavity that the filter goes into. Is there a filter for sale for this? Would a stone filter do it. If so do I need to cut off the large rubber part that holds the old filter style.

My other question is, if I take off the fuel tank to clean it out to I need to replace the gasket. If I do is there a good source for these? Fuel tank is full of brown nastiness.

Thanks for any help on this.

Funny you should post the filter .... I was working on my Super 550 yesterday and just cut off the felt/cup thingy and replaced with the filter you have shown. Works fine.

Sealing the tank on a 10-10A is a topic with different solutions that have worked for different people. The one I currently endorse is sealing it off with 3M tape made for auto body trim items. Cut/place/trim excess/ install cover .... easy peasy. Joey had some posts here some time ago, he perfected the method; I have a PM700 that has had that done about 3 years now .. no leaks.

I'm pretty sure those fuel filters are still available. I bought one a month or so ago. Replacement fuel lines use the type of filter in your picture.

Funny you should post the filter .... I was working on my Super 550 yesterday and just cut off the felt/cup thingy and replaced with the filter you have shown. Works fine.

Sealing the tank on a 10-10A is a topic with different solutions that have worked for different people. The one I currently endorse is sealing it off with 3M tape made for auto body trim items. Cut/place/trim excess/ install cover .... easy peasy. Joey had some posts here some time ago, he perfected the method; I have a PM700 that has had that done about 3 years now .. no leaks.

Sealing it this way would be perfect. I know exactly the tape you're talking about. I work at a body shop. This makes me a lot more comfortable taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly like it needs.

Thanks for the great answer!

I just split the tank, clean it out, leave the gasket on the top half and apply permatex motoseal to the halves. Leak free!

I just split the tank, clean it out, leave the gasket on the top half and apply permatex motoseal to the halves. Leak free!

Not sure what the halves are but I'm sure it will make sense once it's apart. Thanks for the tip!

Back