The urge to fiddle . . . . . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MM. I've had bad carpal tunnel about 30 years ago (when PCs first came out) and this condition is quite different. I only experienced a numbness and tingling at the precise pressure points being applied to the trigger with the pointing finger, and the opposing face of the thumb used to brace against the top of thehandle. Nowhere else. The tingling felt worse during and immediately after milling and faded slowly over the week when I'm not milling but by next Saturday I was milling again and it was getting worse every time. A guy at work said it was the beginning of white finger condition which is partly why I decided to make a hand throttle. Since I've set up the hand throttle the condition has slowly faded and it was only yesterday that I noticed it was gone.

Last edited:
When I mill, I always use both those little squeezable ear inserts AND my Peltor earmuffs built into my hardhat. Even so, often after a long day milling, I still get slight ringing in the ears, I think due to being subjected to that level of noise that close to the saw (when I mill, my head is closer to the saw and thus the noise than when bucking or limbing).

I have a hard hat / earmuff set but these muffs are only 25db noise reducing and that is why I bought the Peltor H10A which are at least 30db. The hard hat/muff combo is what I wear when bucking etc but I used a full face mask and the 10As when milling since I don't think a hard hat is as essential when milling. I think the handthrottle on the wrap also allows me to stand that little bit further back from the saw and when working so close every little bit helps. I must get myself some ear plugs as well. I don't get any ear ringing but the fact that I am legally deaf might have something to do with it. I am surprised that I am legally deaf because I think my hearing is OK but my wife and I are always arguing about how loud I have the volume on the TV, especially with fast conversation. Not that I watch a lot of TV - maybe half an hour per week. I much prefer fiddling about in the shed.

...but my wife and I are always arguing about how loud I have the volume on the TV, especially with fast conversation. Not that I watch a lot of TV - maybe half an hour per week. I much prefer fiddling about in the shed.
interesting... ditto... ditto... ditto... I too watch little TV, as I too am usually in the shop fiddling or working wood (or jumping on the computer to check mail etc)... but when I do have the tube on, I too get told to turn down the #$&$ TV. Last hearing test I had said some loss but not enough for hearing aid yet. Again, this is why I wear as much hearing protection as I can get.

Did somebody say something?

:D

Reminds me of something that happened 20 years ago when I was cutting up firewood in the driveway [inner city housing - houses right next to each other etc] not using any ear muffs. I was using a very loud Mac-10 (the same one I blew up earlier this year) and after about half an hour of using it my ears were ringing so I stopped for a break and and elderly neighbor came outside and said something. I replied "sorry I can't hear you", which was true, so she said it again and I replied in the same way. The neighbor shook her head and went away and never spoke to me again. After she died her husband said she never liked me because I was once rude to her. I think she was saying something like "have you finished yet"?

I was a machine gunner when I was in the Marine Corps so I know how frustrating hearing loss is. I learned the hard way that plugs alone aren't enough and that they can be pulled out by helmet straps (that REALLY hurts during a live fire exercise with 4 or 5 M2 50 cals going off). Areas with a lot of background noise aggravate the hell out of me because voices sound like the teacher on Charlie Brown to me. Could be worse I guess.

I picked up a new basic MC throttle from a bargain bin several months ago with the intention of fitting it to my 076 in the same way as I have done for my 880.

Here was my previous 076 remote throttle.
attachment.php

It used a bicycle brake handle connected via a brake cable to a series of linkages made from a bike brake caliper and brake pad which pushed on the trigger.

Even though it worked very well one of the problems was the cable coming in from underneath like it was mean the saw could not be placed on its base without crushing the cable so that always meant working on the saw with the rear handle hanging off the side of the bench.

The other issue was the linkage was rather klutzy and produced quite a bit of brake pad or trigger wear.
attachment.php

I tried padding the brake pad with a variety of stuff but it was all worn away quickly by the trigger if the padding was too soft or the trigger was worn if the padding was too hard. The best padding was some moderately hard hydraulic hose but it was still wearing away the trigger and after milling about 40 logs I had to replace the trigger.

Here is the new arrangement which links directly onto the carby linkage.
attachment.php

It starts with replacing the exhaust cover screw (EC)with one that is half an inch longer.
Then bending up and adding bracket (B) I made my bracket out of stainless steel strap but you could pretty well use any metal.

Here's another view.
attachment.php

The MC throttle cable comes thru from the front top of the saw and the cable sheath stops at the bracket B while the cable passes through a half width full lengthwise slotted screw screw (cut slot with dremel) to meet up with and is locked to the carby linkage by locking bolt (B) which also has has a half length full width slot cut in it.

Final outcome is a much tidier arrangement and the saw can now put the saw down on its base.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Bob, thats "slicker'n a frogs butt"...

If I had one that fancy, I'd go ahead and install satellite radio and a DVD for the kids...

(course moonshine might play a part in the hillbilly engineering)

Bob,

This is just what the the doctor ordered. Little pun there...

I used my mini mill this weekend and plan on making a remoter trigger assembly for my Husky saw that I used. I'll bet there is no kids bicycles safe in your neighborhood. Thanks for the pictures.

jerry-

Last edited:
I like this...my sawmill has a crappy throttle on it, and a bike brake would work well for that...go idea, think I'll borrow it! :monkey:

Cheers guys - hope to see your version soon.

. . . . .I'll bet there is no kids bicycles safe in your neighborhood.

There's no need to nick stuff from the kids. Twice a year our city has a bulk garbage collection. You put it out on the verge and the council picks it up. About very 10th house there's an old bike. The ones I go for at the ones with ally parts because they are a bit lighter and don't corrode like the chrome covered steel ones do.

ANyways - I have a big box of bike parts I work out of - always heaps of socket screws and useful nuts and bolts on bikes as well that I use.

Cheers guys - hope to see your version soon.

There's no need to nick stuff from the kids. Twice a year our city has a bulk garbage collection. You put it out on the verge and the council picks it up. About very 10th house there's an old bike. The ones I go for at the ones with ally parts because they are a bit lighter and don't corrode like the chrome covered steel ones do.

ANyways - I have a big box of bike parts I work out of - always heaps of socket screws and useful nuts and bolts on bikes as well that I use.

That's cool that you can get extra bike parts. We have kids in our neighborhood that go through bikes like crazy. I still have parts from my son's BMX bike days.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back