The wild trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I built a house for an author and I knew that he was a climber but have any of you guys read this book.

I just got my copy and he apparently climbs the tallest trees in the world and wrote about it. I will let you know if it is any good.

Kevin

The Wild Trees- Richard Preston.

yup

It has been discussed here before. The illustrator of that book posts here often. It is a great book I have a copy autographed by both the author and illustrator.

Richard and I had been speaking about trees and the such-then he sent me a copy to my office. I thought it was a really nice gesture. I am just starting to read it today.

I am sure that I could get some authgraph copies for folks if they want. PM me and I will ask. I see the author on a daily basis.

kevin

I'll let you know, it was very good. This Preston guy can really write well. Several years ago before going on a road trip I picked up "The New Yorker", much to my surprise it had an article about the redwoods in it by Preston. It was quite long but I could not put the magazine down until I finished it. I found this the same with his book, "The Wild Trees".
Is he working on anything now?

I built a house for an author and I knew that he was a climber but have any of you guys read this book.

I just got my copy and he apparently climbs the tallest trees in the world and wrote about it. I will let you know if it is any good.

Kevin

The Wild Trees- Richard Preston.

Yes, I've read his book.

My story of discovering the SECRET location is on this page:

M. Vaden locates Secret Titan Redwood Grove

Let Mr. Preston know his book enabled me to find the secret grove.

I had read one chapter already, posted online, before I bought the book. If you Google this:

Orion Day of Discovery Redwoods

You should notice the Orion article.

Preston the author freely disclosed too many details in the book about tree locations. Not THE locations, but descriptive information including the nature of the trek through the rainforest. Certainly unintentionally. I just emailed Dr. Sillett, the main character, this month, about how I was able to use the book's clues to find the trees. The book in itself, will not get you to the trees. It will just get you lost. But what's in the book, coupled with other leaks, can get someone to the trees if they know the park well enough. The sense of time and progress in the book won't mean anything, unless someone first tries to get through that forest - the dense part. If someone penetrates the forest for a few hours, they would be a step closer to doing something with clues.

I found the Grove of Titans last week, and am going back there next weekend. I was primarily interested in the challenge, like a treasure hunt. We did a 6 hour deep exploration of the dense rainforest last week, and located them as we proceeded on the return leg of our small expedition.

The reason I could find them, was due to my hiking experience in Jed Smith Redwoods, plus a few missing clues found elsewhere online. Some of the extra clues are seemingly insignificant, as small as 3 words among 15,000 words of text in a document.

Odds are, the extra online clues are either gone, or a matter of days from vanishing from the internet. I sent the few URLs to Dr. Sillett, so he could arrange for text edits.

Anyhow, about Preston's book, it's choppy reading, due to the subject transition occuring so abruptly. But his descriptions are excellent. And for the more part, it's a book that can be read without putting it down much at all. The abrupt transitions may be intentional. But other reviews online have noted the same thing. It may be an effect the author added to keep readers on their toes.

My mother is from the same place in Ontario where Sillett's wife is from, so I gave her the book to read - she's 90 years old. And she enjoyed reading it.

I've written my full review in the Forest section of my own Bulletin Board already.

In short, I think the book would be a good one for the average person to read and enjoy.

If anyone plans to explore for these trees, be sure to carry an emergency kit, food and compass. In the book, you can see how the discoverers may have been a few hours shy of getting stuck in there and getting hypothermia. They were as unprepared to enter the woods as someone could be. Maybe that's one good part of the book, is it does not conceal some of the bad choices these people made over the years.

The forest is loaded with poison oak from shrubs, to monster steroid poison oak with trunks over 3" DBH and stems up to 180' high. You must know winter and summer ID for poison-oak to enter the rainforest on a quest. Sillett wrote to me that he has seen poison-oak over 200' tall / high.

We got as many welts, bruises and swollen joints as they probably did in 6 hours worth of exploring. And it is true, that you can fall among debris where you can't get out. Single logs on their sides can be 12' tall or higher - let alone piles of this stuff. We found dead-ends, just like they did, although different ones I'm sure. We had a rope with us, and I don't think they did. How far into the redwoods the bears go, I'm not sure. We carry a sidearm and pepper spray, so we were preparted. And we moved slow too, to avoid startling animals by surprising them.

Almost anyone who likes trees will like that book.

He may hear about it from Dr. Sillett, but since you talk to him, let him know that an outdoorsman arborist 2 hours from the Grove of Titans, found them within 2 weeks of reading his book, using it for about 1/2 of what was needed.

That may really help him learn to keep his "lock box" sealed in the future.

Last edited:
So you didnt understand a thing you read!!

LXT.........

Well, since I located a grove that only a handful of botanists and folks know about, via using the book, I'd say that if you plan to go in the woods, use wool.

I'll let you know, it was very good. This Preston guy can really write well. Several years ago before going on a road trip I picked up "The New Yorker", much to my surprise it had an article about the redwoods in it by Preston. It was quite long but I could not put the magazine down until I finished it. I found this the same with his book, "The Wild Trees".
Is he working on anything now?

Not sure if that's the same as in Orion, but I think I read that one too. Good reading.

Was it the one with B&W images?

Last edited:
Um, really. :clap:
Slight bit of pompous there MD. Phew!

Have you went to his poll thread? pompous is an understatement!!

You located a grove a handful know about......LOL, PA is a big state you should be able to locate it with no trouble, I mean a man of well versed intellect such as yourself, still waiting for you to man up!!

this guy talks in circles, now he`s a critic on what to read "average person" like you`re so far above?

Your felacious embellishments are like the flying fodder from the horses back side!!!

LXT................

good stuff MD

Info on the location of those giants could be worth alot of $$$$ if you were to start giving tours:) Maybe LXT could be your lead climber.....

Seriously though, I am told that Dr. Sillett is dead set against anyone else climbing these trees or even getting close to them. I understand his concerns but still call bs on it. I would gladly pay thousands of dollars to get a chance to climb one of the tallest trees in the world.

Info on the location of those giants could be worth alot of $$$$ if you were to start giving tours:) Maybe LXT could be your lead climber.....

Seriously though, I am told that Dr. Sillett is dead set against anyone else climbing these trees or even getting close to them. I understand his concerns but still call bs on it. I would gladly pay thousands of dollars to get a chance to climb one of the tallest trees in the world.

Id be your lead climber OTG, ohh heck......even MD`s.

I refrain on bustin his chops here, Ill see how he answers on his poll thread, oops I meant doesnt answer! LOL.

LXT.......

OTG BOSTON...

What you wrote is an exclamatory statement.

Very true indeed.

I sort of had a dilemna on this. I make at least $100 a month from Google for my web pages.

By the middle of next week - even tomorrow if I wanted - I could make a webpage GROVE OF TITANS showing the exact spot.

But it would not be the right choice, and I told (emailed) Dr. Sillett that I won't post the location of the trees, nor the complete method about how I found them.

So I'm passing on the opportunity to glean the potential Google Ad income from starting the first page of a kind.

For now, I plan to make a webpage about the Grove of Titans, but not with any information pin-pointing where they are at.

I'm just going to get an general page established and let it sit dormant until someone else possibly lets the cat out of the bag someday, whether it's a year, 5 years or 30 years. It's impossible to know. I think that Hyperion, the tallest, down south, may be the hardest to find, and the one most likely to remain undisclosed from what I've read about difficulty of access. The access sounds severely hard.

I don't think I'd even want to try to find Hyperion. One heavy duty bushwhack was tough enough, and within a two hour drive.

Last edited:
Earendil & Elwing........ring a bell MD?, so you have personally spoke to Steve? If what you say is true????? then you have surely seen one of Gods wonders & are blessed indeed.

LXT..........

does that mean you won't show a fellow arborist for a fee?

Unless I set up a guide service, I'd do it for free, if at all.

Although, it had crossed my mind to start a guide service. Not for hunting, but for taking people on hikes in parts of Oregon or north CA. Like people who are mainly tourists from overseas or the east coast, but are not packing day hike gear, nor regular hikers. That way they could hike nice trails, learn about native plants, and the lightweight ministoves and freeze dried meals would already be taken care of.

Some of the Hollywood folks who want to escape the Paparazzi, ought to call some of us outdoors folks, and find a few days of relaxation with a short 4 to 5 mile hike per day. I wonder how often some of them ever get a chance to enjoy some quiet and the forest.

Last edited:
Earendil & Elwing........ring a bell MD?, so you have personally spoke to Steve? If what you say is true????? then you have surely seen one of Gods wonders & are blessed indeed.

LXT..........

Not via phone. I found the earlier post and added "emailed" after "told" for clarity. We communicated via email several times over the period of a week. Once initially, when I wrote that I was sure I could find them, and why. Then later after I found them, a bunch of emails back and forth about how to remove leaked comments that popped-up online.

None of the leaks were really very foolish, and may not have amounted to much as single leaks. But the whole collection of leaks after a period of time let the cats head stick out of the bag. From what Dr. Sillett wrote, they started to discover the potential of the leaks, like a year ago. So I just emailed the ones I found for them to add to their list.

We found the trees when it was even darker than when Sillett and Taylor found them, so I've only clearly seen 2 trees. Until I could measure them, I'm not sure which will be which. Screaming Titans will be one of the easier ones to match a name to a size, and Lost Monarch, since the dimensions have been published and it's virtually the largest of the grove.

I think the trunk diameters of a few others were available, and that's about the only way I think I'd know which tree is which in the grove. Whether a tree in the area is a titan or not, could be figured out. But I don't recall if enough was published to know which ones belong to which names.

Although some clues were leaked, Sillett, Van Pelt, Preston, Taylor and others, were still quite effective about keeping a lot of stuff secret.

It's not exactly an easy thing to describe, but all I can say, is if anyone finds them and sees them in person, they would understand why so few images exist, and why someone would not really say which tree they saw first and why or how expansive the grove is. About the only way to convey learning the location, is to state that the "grove" has been located.

If anyone wants to find them, I say best wishes to them, as long as they keep it secret. If they want to find them, and bushwhack their way to the grove, they have sort of earned their recreation.

The book does not exaggerate the severity of what it's like to go through that forest.

Actually, it's the only forest I've ever been in, where landmarks where virtually useless. That's why I understood the comment from Sillett in The Wild Trees about not being able to return the way they came. They had no compass. But we did have one. So I returned via compass only.

We tried to lock images in mind of old dead stumps and stuff, but there are too many that are similar in some ways, to be able to use them for landmarks. Only two logs of all that we passed eased our passage rather than slowing us. One log enabled us to span over a deep chasm and then get over 100' more of broken debris. And one other log allowed us to bridge through about 200 feet heavy underbrush. I always went in the lead, because I know how to spot poison-oak in winter. Several times, we came up to logs so high we could not begin to climb over them, and had to go up steep hills for a couple of hundred feet to get around the stumps, providing merely 15' of directional progress once all the way around and back - or in other words 400 feet of hard work travel for 15 feet of progress.

That's why I figure, if someone can find them, go for it, and enjoy the forest.

It's still a very cool forest, and I think that most people who would go there and never find the trees, would still enjoy the adventure. It's definitely thicker than north Oregon coastal forest. And the person with me was expecting the forest density and bushwhack to be similar to what we went through in north Oregon - this exceeded their expectations. For me, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was thicker than what I would have imagined. Primarily the mixture of forest floor debris mixed with undergrowth. Legs punch through the debris into cavities, similar to walking in deep snow - that's about the only way I can describe it. But snowshoes won't work in the redwoods since it's not an even surface.

Last edited:
My roommates uncle wrote the book and I still haven't had a chance to read it.

Cool - the author has builders, nephews and readers. And kids !! I'll bet his kids sure enjoy that climbing he's got them started on.

Hey, here's the tree from today's exploration - a bit more bushwhacking. It was rainy and grey out, so this is as clear as it gets this week.

Our quick measurement was 23.55 feet diameter. So it should be the Del Norte Titan.

What I found listed for Del Norte Titan was 23.6 - so that sounds close enough.

attachment.php

Back