The wild trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was lent a copy of this book.

kinda looking forward to reading it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Be sure to let us know your favorite parts.

For anyone who does not have a copy, they can share one chapter's worth of reading with you with this link...

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/234/

That's what I found and read first, then ordered the book a couple of days later for a more complete reading.

I can't believe how quick my mom got through it - in like 3 days or 4. Must not have put it down.

Seems that Wood Junky who started this thread might be ready for a review by now - if he started reading the already.

Last edited:
i was lent a copy of this book.

kinda looking forward to reading it.

and i have just finished it up.

a very gooooood book if you want to learn a little about those big dogs out west. while reading this i actually found myself getting as excited as the characters were in some of their discoveries. not too excited mind you but enough to keep turning pages.

sometimes i wish my ADD wasnt mine. i'm pretty sure i wouldve been one of the best natural scientist of all time. it wouldve been steve and i up in them trees!!!!! lol

anyway

an easy read with some drawings thrown in. perfect! (nice work moss!!!!!!)

i recommend this book to anyone who can read.

whats funny I am re-reading it, forgot all about that book untill I saw this thread, it does make you feel like you`re part of it in some way..uhh?

I got 2-3 chapters to go & Ill be finished too, any body have a favorite chapter?

LXT..............I dont know if I would have been able to sleep in a tree in a storm like they did!! only later to know it fell over!!!

not that they could hear the tree going over but more they could feel it. that is crazy. i think i wouldve prefered not knowing that it went over. i cant really say any one chapter was better than the other but i did like how the author helped you get to know the characters almost intimately.

now that i think about it i really enjoyed the author's family getting into it with him and their discoveries of the oldgrowth in scotland.

just a good book. dude i work with lent me that book. in a show of my appreciation i am going to lend him "high climbers and timber fallers".

i would offer him the tree work bible "fundamentals" but i read from that book almost everyday.

They sure liked greek names for trees, some of the names I had to read a couple times just to pronounce them!!

I agree that was pretty cool the author & family getting involved the way they did, I guess Im not the only sick person out there always looking up & when hiking if I see a big tree...I run over checking it out!! wife thinks im goofy, was a good enjoyable read!!

LXT..............

Even though I read the book in January, I've reread several chapters in the past few weeks. Probably 1/2 the book once more.

and i have just finished it up.

a very gooooood book if you want to learn a little about those big dogs out west. while reading this i actually found myself getting as excited as the characters were in some of their discoveries. not too excited mind you but enough to keep turning pages.

sometimes i wish my ADD wasnt mine. i'm pretty sure i wouldve been one of the best natural scientist of all time. it wouldve been steve and i up in them trees!!!!! lol

You might well be good at it. I'd probably jump on forest research myself, if I did not have a family to support while going to college. I tend to like the forest floor level as much as the canopy science part.

Is that profession something you still have time to squeeze into your life? You might make a fine asset.

So .... was camping several days again. Stayed at the beach 1/2 hour away, and explored the redwoods again. It takes hours and hours to explore, so that's why I decided to camp in the area. This one big redwood below provided a really cool panoramic photo stitch. The big leader on the left appears to grow out of a bigger version of what you called an "E. D." growth, in an earlier image I posted.

attachment.php

Below, is the bottom section to show size.

Its remarkable how long it takes to reach various trees, just to photograph them. Basically, in about 5 days of exploring and bushwhacking, I gathered a handful of images. Although every moment was enjoyable.

So one thing I learned from these excursions, is how much work the Taylor, Sillett, Atkins or Van Pelt must have invested to explore for and climb these trees. They have been at this for years. I suppose they could fill a small dumpster with worn clothes and boots. Seems that Atkins and Taylor may have endured the most amount of terrain.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Let Mr. Preston know his book enabled me to find the secret grove.

It seemed inevitable that people with local knowledge, enough persistence or both were going to find these trees even without Preston writing his book. Well before publication of 'The Wild Trees' Outside magazine sent a team to find and climb Hyperion. This was shortly after the announcement in September '06 that Hyperion had been located, climbed, measured and crowned "the world's tallest tree" by Sillett's team. The hired guns from Outside magazine failed. It's possible that they were actually standing under the tree but didn't have the skills to measure it and verify from the ground. Hopefully the difficult bushwhack will prevent these trees from being overrun by "Wild Trees" tourists. There have to be enough interesting big trees in northern California and the PNW to go discover without having to focus on the trees mentioned in the book.

Maybe it's just dumb pride but I really enjoy being the first person in a tree, it's not as much fun following someone else's footsteps in the woods. That sense of discovery is available for every climber in the woods in their own areas. Even if they're not the world's tallest trees there's something special about climbing up to the top of a big tree and not seeing the evidence of a climber before you.

2241325252_a6c091c569.jpg

-moss

The hired guns from Outside magazine failed. It's possible that they were actually standing under the tree but didn't have the skills to measure it and verify from the ground. Hopefully the difficult bushwhack will prevent these trees from being overrun by "Wild Trees" tourists. There have to be enough interesting big trees in northern California and the PNW to go discover without having to focus on the trees mentioned in the book.

-moss

I read an article online about that attempt, or another search by another writer. Whoever it was, the story mentioned that they got pretty beat up by bumps and bruises. In the end, it seems that they wrapped it up mentioning the beauty of the entire forest.

In one way, the book has me just as interested to see the Olympic National Forest now. Not any champion trees. Just the established forest. I've never been up that far northwest.

Hey... did someone say you did some drawings? Anyhow, very detailed.

ever try to cut 4'' ash limbs out of a fence at 25'?:chainsaw: :monkey:

You finished with that already? Vhat a pain in the $ss. Not exactly "wild trees" but interesting to watch you working on that earlier today. I was tempted to just climb up the chain link and take them out, but then again I'm not union, would've been free climbing, no helmet on etc. ...might have caused some trouble.

I like that trick where you were using the baseball nets above the fence to catch branches, oops! :)
-moss

Last edited:
You finished with that already? Vhat a pain in the $ss. Not exactly "wild trees" but interesting to watch you working on that earlier today. I was tempted to just climb up the chain link and take them out, but then again I'm not union, would've been free climbing, no helmet on etc. ...might have caused some trouble.

I like that trick where you were using the baseball nets above the fence to catch branches, oops! :)
-moss

Can't get any more wild than those! No cage can keep me in!

Haven't decided which days I like better for taking pictures - sunny, or cloudy. The cloudy days seem to illuminate the understory better for some trees. The sun is better in other places, but the lit and shady spots change every 30 minutes or so.

Here's one more titan, with a few feet of a second tree's trunk behind it.

attachment.php

Haven't decided which days I like better for taking pictures - sunny, or cloudy. The cloudy days seem to illuminate the understory better for some trees. The sun is better in other places, but the lit and shady spots change every 30 minutes or so.

Here's one more titan, with a few feet of a second tree's trunk behind it.

Great photo. One thing that strikes me is the lush ground cover around the tree. This is the definition of a wild tree. Often when you see photos posted of climbers at well known big redwoods the ground is bare around the base of the trunk. It might as well be a parking lot. I hope that these trees don't end up the same way.
-moss

Latest posts

Back