The wild trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whens the logging start? Whats the holdup? Git at 'er. Log it or lose it, log it, burn it, pave it.

Whens the logging start? Whats the holdup? Git at 'er. Log it or lose it, log it, burn it, pave it.

Hey... there are some saw-smooth stump tops in that park, not much smaller.

Someone was busy once.

But maybe just to clear for the road and trails. Every now and then while hiking, I see initials and dates carved in ends of logs by chainsaws, signatures of the maintenance sawmen

(Just letting us remember they are still there)

attachment.php

Last edited:

hey clearance i heard the Del Norte Titan was a cull. lol

on a more dead serious note, i need to see these redwoods before i die man. touch them feel them smell them. i neeeed to see one in person. they dont have to be the ones in the book mind you but any of these monsters you guys have out on the more northern west coast.

i want to know what it feels like to be 200+ feet up and nowhere near the top. that would be quite the moment i think. at the very least it would be nice to find out if i had the intestinal fortitude to get to the top.

at the risks of sounding like i am in tune my harmonial being, how insignificant do these trees make you feel when you stand next to them and look up?

i got to find this out.

Olddirty Im with ya, Ive been planning on seeing these marvels for along time, just that renovating a house can be very expensive & take along time!!!
Not to mention putting the kid through college.......whew..im broke. LOL

Me & the Mrs have three places we wish to go, Greece, Alaska(to see the brown bears, another wonder) & to yellowstone(grand canyon & the redwoods). I hope I make it before building this house kills me!!!

LXT...............

Olddirty

Not to mention putting the kid through college.......whew..im broke. LOL

LXT...............

it oldirty.

and about you putting your kid through college. your a tree guy. get a maul and collect firewood from your jobs. point at the maul and say "there is your scholarship".

lol

whens the house all done? make sure you dont take anything else on after that house until you do that redwood trip. that way you can make sure it happens.

stay safe

sorry about the misspell.....Oldirty!! didnt mean to offend!

I would point to the maul & tell "Her" to get busy!! But somehow I dont think Daddy`s Lil girl is gonna do it & she would be the one LOL!!

House should be 90% done this year, depending on the economy & ability to make, $$$$ been at it since 9-03, the hard part isnt making the money to pay for things but getting certain key contractors to start what they bid!!!!! I when possible do most the work, Prep, demo, materials delivered, etc... its the Hvac, Plumbing & electrical you really wait on!! oops forgot the Stone mason been waiting on him for 6 months.

When done or close me & the wife are goin on a well deserved vacation, Im gonna try to talk her into the Redwoods/ grandcanyon trip 1st, her pick is Greece & we both wanna see the Brown Bears of Alaska.

Take care Be safe.......all I can do right now is read about the big trees!!

LXT..........

I went thru the avenue of the giants . The pictures Vaden posted are wonderful but if he posted 100k of them it still wont be like when You actualy see them in person. I recomend anyone who does tree work to one day go and see them. You will #### your pants when you do.

sorry about the misspell.....Oldirty!! didnt mean to offend!

I would point to the maul & tell "Her" to get busy!! But somehow I dont think Daddy`s Lil girl is gonna do it & she would be the one LOL!!

House should be 90% done this year, depending on the economy & ability to make, $$$$ been at it since 9-03, the hard part isnt making the money to pay for things but getting certain key contractors to start what they bid!!!!! I when possible do most the work, Prep, demo, materials delivered, etc... its the Hvac, Plumbing & electrical you really wait on!! oops forgot the Stone mason been waiting on him for 6 months.

When done or close me & the wife are goin on a well deserved vacation, Im gonna try to talk her into the Redwoods/ grandcanyon trip 1st, her pick is Greece & we both wanna see the Brown Bears of Alaska.

Take care Be safe.......all I can do right now is read about the big trees!!

LXT..........

no offense taken lxt.

i forgot that you mentioned you had a daughter. lol. i'm thinking she would frown upon the callouses and permanent dirt ground into her hands.

and about knowing plumbers and hvac guys and the rest of the tradesmen. thats why you need buzzards in your life man. all the dudes i hang with do that stuff.

cant wait to buy my own place. i'll be trading work left and right. lol.
i got a trade in the works for pipes on my truck from lou's coming soon. thats the barter system at its finest!

to be dead honest i dont know too many suit wearing people. i dont think i would be able to have a conversation last to long with em. some how some way i usually end up near the chipper in a conversation. IE f bomb here and there...

my ol' lady loves it. she comes from a family of suits. i think thats the only reason she likes me, she has never met anyone as "out of line" as me.
i dont know what she's talking about though. i think i'm normal, its everyone else who needs some help. lol

anyway, LXT let me know if you want a third wheel on any one of those trip you are planning. dont worry about me bud, i travel light. lol

Last edited:
hey clearance i heard the Del Norte Titan was a cull. lol

on a more dead serious note, i need to see these redwoods before i die man. touch them feel them smell them. i neeeed to see one in person. they dont have to be the ones in the book mind you but any of these monsters you guys have out on the more northern west coast.

i want to know what it feels like to be 200+ feet up and nowhere near the top. that would be quite the moment i think. at the very least it would be nice to find out if i had the intestinal fortitude to get to the top.

at the risks of sounding like i am in tune my harmonial being, how insignificant do these trees make you feel when you stand next to them and look up?

i got to find this out.

See what B-Ewards wrote in post 27. And I think you will find that these trees may affect you much differently that expected. In many ways, I enjoy the variety in there as much as the size. It's the "entire forest" experience that's so much fun. Sometimes, I go on parts of two trails on the same day.

One relatively easy to walk on trail - 2.8 miles each way - that you may enjoy in Jed Smith Redwoods is the Boyscout Tree Trail. It has all kinds of big single, double and multiple trunks and a lot of greenery and ferns.

People who really like trees, or work with them, may want to plan several days so they can explore several trails in several parks - especially if they may not return to the area.

attachment.php

I went thru the avenue of the giants . The pictures Vaden posted are wonderful but if he posted 100k of them it still wont be like when You actualy see them in person. I recomend anyone who does tree work to one day go and see them. You will #### your pants when you do.

Everytime I go into the redwoods, which seems to be every 3 weeks on average, I always find something new and unusual too. Yesterday, we found this burl / canker on the side of a tree along Boyscout Tree Trail, that vaguely resembled an alligator head. But we nicknamed it the Tree Scrotum.

Wish this one has focused more clear.

attachment.php

Lmao, great picture but again my point exactly is guys who havent seen these trees in person could not/cant imagine how big that thing is until you stand beside it. Keep posting Vaden, I go west everytime you do atleast in my mind. And thanks for the pictures btw.

I'll take back what I said back there if you keep posting pics of these forest. :buttkick: Thanks, MD, cool pics. :clap:

A couple were not crystal clear focused, but I still saved them. This is our daughter standing in the tree / tree cluster. I took a photo of this tree hiking in, but figured the tree image would look better with a person, and took a second image on the return.

attachment.php

This is one log I get a kick out of. About all I can guess, is that the log's bark vanished via decay. Because those long 25' to 30' long branch-looking things, are roots from a medium size hemlock behind our daughter. You can sort of tell where the trunk is in the background. This is along Mill Creek Trail.

attachment.php

This is one of my favorite logs in the park. It's a fallen log from a huge redwood. The top of the log is as high as the top of the image, but hidden behind the foliage. It's 3 times higher than my mother at the stump end. Even 50 feet from the stump end, the log is near 14' above the ground. Basically, a fully loaded garden.

attachment.php

Nice pic`s MD, WoW!! your little girl right in the middle of those monsters, in some ways it shows how small we really are, I hope to get my wife & daughter out there to take it all in......... one day anyhow!!

LXT............

Nice pic`s MD, WoW!! your little girl right in the middle of those monsters, in some ways it shows how small we really are, I hope to get my wife & daughter out there to take it all in......... one day anyhow!!

LXT............

"Little girl" in a figurative way - she's near 30 years old.

:)

Our youngest of 4 children is 14 years old.

Latest posts

Back