The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tall skinny chutes, sometimes are easy, some times more work:bang: At least u have that Porta wrap, may be handy on those ones:msp_thumbsup:

Hopefully tooooommorrow my MS201T will be here:msp_w00t: I sold my other one (200T)to a friend. This one is coming from Bsnelling:clap:

At least it shows it should be here tomorrow.

Hopefully tooooommorrow my MS201T will be here:msp_w00t: I sold my other one (200T)to a friend. This one is coming from Bsnelling:clap:

At least it shows it should be here tomorrow.

I keep putting up with my 201T... I've been wanting to send it to Brad for a while now just haven't had the extra cash. I'm sure you will love it! Can't wait to hear how it performs! :cheers: ... and be careful up there! :msp_thumbup:

Thanks Randy, everybody is finally feeling better. I do have a Zubat, and I didnt need stitches. Just smacked my finger but didnt slice. I didnt feel good and was exhausted, new I had my hand in a bad spot, but didnt care. Just wanted to be done so I could get down LOL. So exactly what I thought was going to happen, happened. As I finished the cut the momentum carried the saw right down into my finger. Looked worse than it was though. Got a question for you though? My boss is getting interested in the srt thing and we have been talking about it a bit. How are you ascending when not using spikes? Be careful if you get that job with all the power lines, that will be no easy task for sure. Make sure you get some ground help, at least for the extra eyes. I am still afraid of heights Norm LOL. I hate roofs, always feel like I am going to fall off. Feel a whole lot better working with rope though, can get a lot higher in a tree and feel a whole lot safer LOL. And believe me I know you have a lot of bs to deal with on the gun issue. Hope you guys out there can make some changes out there. Shane, if you havnt already get the working climber dvds. They will explain a lot and give you a visual to go with. "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work" is a great book that goes with "The Working Climber" dvds. Another good book is the "ISA study guide, will give you a good basis for good pruning practices. Most of my climbing is without spikes, its very rare I get to use spikes. It can a lot of fun, but it can be a bear too on some larger canopies. The hardest part when I was learning on my own was trusting that I was setting things up correctly, or setting my line in a crotch that would not fail. If you ever get down here to Florida, give me a shout. I would be happy to show you what I know.

Thanks Randy, everybody is finally feeling better. I do have a Zubat, and I didnt need stitches. Just smacked my finger but didnt slice. I didnt feel good and was exhausted, new I had my hand in a bad spot, but didnt care. Just wanted to be done so I could get down LOL.
Been There! Amazing how sharp those Silkys are! They'll go straight to the bone in an instant!

Make sure you get some ground help, at least for the extra eyes. I am still afraid of heights Norm LOL. I hate roofs, always feel like I am going to fall off. Feel a whole lot better working with rope though, can get a lot higher in a tree and feel a whole lot safer LOL.
With ya here too! I'm nervous as hell spiking up a tree... Getting tied in is such a great feeling! ...No roofs or ladders for me either! I've even thought about tying in to the neighbor's oak to clean my gutters! :redface:

Thanks Randy, everybody is finally feeling better. I do have a Zubat, and I didnt need stitches. Just smacked my finger but didnt slice. I didnt feel good and was exhausted, new I had my hand in a bad spot, but didnt care. Just wanted to be done so I could get down LOL. So exactly what I thought was going to happen, happened. As I finished the cut the momentum carried the saw right down into my finger. Looked worse than it was though. Got a question for you though? My boss is getting interested in the srt thing and we have been talking about it a bit. How are you ascending when not using spikes? Be careful if you get that job with all the power lines, that will be no easy task for sure. Make sure you get some ground help, at least for the extra eyes. I am still afraid of heights Norm LOL. I hate roofs, always feel like I am going to fall off. Feel a whole lot better working with rope though, can get a lot higher in a tree and feel a whole lot safer LOL. And believe me I know you have a lot of bs to deal with on the gun issue. Hope you guys out there can make some changes out there. Shane, if you havnt already get the working climber dvds. They will explain a lot and give you a visual to go with. "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work" is a great book that goes with "The Working Climber" dvds. Another good book is the "ISA study guide, will give you a good basis for good pruning practices. Most of my climbing is without spikes, its very rare I get to use spikes. It can a lot of fun, but it can be a bear too on some larger canopies. The hardest part when I was learning on my own was trusting that I was setting things up correctly, or setting my line in a crotch that would not fail. If you ever get down here to Florida, give me a shout. I would be happy to show you what I know.

Brian,
good to hear everyone is feeling better. It's really rough when the whole family gets sick. Glad to hear the finger's not too bad, be very careful with the handsaw, SHARP! I'm climbing SRT using that new Hitch Hiker with a couple other "small" pieces of gear to ascend when hanging "mid-air". I found a video on YouTube, I'm using "almost" the same setup as in the video. Take a look, it might give you a few good ideas to use.
RopeTek Hitch Hiker - YouTube
Couldn't agree with you more on the Working Climber DVD's, wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing without 'em. :msp_thumbup: I've got the book("The Fundamentals of General Tree Work") too, great information for anyone/everyone. Been thinking about getting ISA study guide, good info huh? I'll have to take a look.
I don't have a helmet cam(yet)so it's hard for me to get "in tree" video, but I'll try to put something together to show you what I'm climbing with.....
Would love to come down and see what you're doing down there, don't think it'll happen though.....:(
Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Been There! Amazing how sharp those Silkys are! They'll go straight to the bone in an instant!

With ya here too! I'm nervous as hell spiking up a tree... Getting tied in is such a great feeling! ...No roofs or ladders for me either! I've even thought about tying in to the neighbor's oak to clean my gutters! :redface:

Yes those Silkys are sharp! They make me more nervous around my rope than my chain saw does. And I am still not comfortable on spikes. Rope and spikes and I am golden LOL. But spikes alone, I still get nervous about gaffing out.

Brian,
good to hear everyone is feeling better. It's really rough when the whole family gets sick. Glad to hear the finger's not too bad, be very careful with the handsaw, SHARP! I'm climbing SRT using that new Hitch Hiker with a couple other "small" pieces of gear to ascend when hanging "mid-air". I found a video on YouTube, I'm using "almost" the same setup as in the video. Take a look, it might give you a few good ideas to use.
RopeTek Hitch Hiker - YouTube
Couldn't agree with you more on the Working Climber DVD's, wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing without 'em. :msp_thumbup: I've got the book("The Fundamentals of General Tree Work") too, great information for anyone/everyone. Been thinking about getting ISA study guide, good info huh? I'll have to take a look.
I don't have a helmet cam(yet)so it's hard for me to get "in tree" video, but I'll try to put something together to show you what I'm climbing with.....
Would love to come down and see what you're doing down there, don't think it'll happen though.....:(
Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Would love to see a video of your set up. Most of what I climb down here is not tall enough to really justify srt. I would say I have not been above 50-55 ft. yet. Just not many trees that are taller. I would say 60-70 ft is max in my area. But both me and my boss would like to try it out and see how well it works. It seems like it has some good advantages. And definitely look into the ISA study. I am studying for the test and I am on at least my third time reading it. Goes into biology, fertilization, pruning, hazard assessment, as well as other things. Well worth reading I think.

Yes those Silkys are sharp! They make me more nervous around my rope than my chain saw does. And I am still not comfortable on spikes. Rope and spikes and I am golden LOL. But spikes alone, I still get nervous about gaffing out.

Every time I have to spike up a tree I'm nervous... especially the skinny ones. Too much tendency to twist around the little skinny thing with your spikes so close together. My two friends who taught me to climb have many more years experience than I and they make it look easy. I wish I would've gotten into climbing when I was a lot younger, more in shape, and a lot more fearless!

I do have the working climber (name?) DVD series one from baileys. I have to get through the other two DVDs:dizzy: It seems everytime I go to start it I run into some other thing that takes me away.

Have not run a 201t yet, but should start getting some in at work soon. I got cut with my hand pole saw once, and that was nasty, you can shave with that thing. Brian I am also a firm believer in J-berankes fundamentals of general tree work. Best tree book I have ever seen, like the holy bible. Yes heights everyone has there own issues and limits I think. Brain I think we will fair ok on the gun stuff, times are changing my friend, many on our side now, momentum and money. Also law enforcement and military in our corner.

Would love to see a video of your set up. Most of what I climb down here is not tall enough to really justify srt. I would say I have not been above 50-55 ft. yet. Just not many trees that are taller. I would say 60-70 ft is max in my area. But both me and my boss would like to try it out and see how well it works. It seems like it has some good advantages. And definitely look into the ISA study. I am studying for the test and I am on at least my third time reading it. Goes into biology, fertilization, pruning, hazard assessment, as well as other things. Well worth reading I think.

Brian,
I'll try to put something together on video and show you what I'm working with right now. It's a nice setup, and there really isn't a whole lot to it. Not that I was looking to start climbing SRT, but when I saw this setup it was obvious it would function far better than what I was using before. I was already looking for something that would make my tree work easier(and give me more options) and for me this is it. You know, you don't have to be climbing 100ft up a tree to justify using SRT. To me it makes sense just from the point of view of having more options. Not that I'm trying to convert you to SRT or anything.....:hmm3grin2orange: Another popular SRT setup is the Rope Wrench, haven't really looked into it, don't know much about it other than it is very popular with many climbers/tree workers. Just another option that seems to have been proven to work well.

Every time I have to spike up a tree I'm nervous... especially the skinny ones. Too much tendency to twist around the little skinny thing with your spikes so close together. My two friends who taught me to climb have many more years experience than I and they make it look easy. I wish I would've gotten into climbing when I was a lot younger, more in shape, and a lot more fearless!

metalspec,
I always try to be careful using my spurs 'cause it seems like almost every time I climb I find a way to stick my spur through my climbline at least once. :bang: Just a suggestion, if you're not doing it already, wrap your flipline around the trunk/limb once so if you do slip out it will lock onto the trunk/limb and won't let you "fall" more than a couple feet. I'll do that a lot, helps me to be more confident spiking up a tree. I also would've liked to start when I was "younger", but I'm climbing now. :msp_w00t:

I do have the working climber (name?) DVD series one from baileys. I have to get through the other two DVDs:dizzy: It seems everytime I go to start it I run into some other thing that takes me away.

Shane,
if you have the series one DVD set and you're watching the first DVD that has about everything you want to know about the throwline. The second and third DVD get into entering the tree, spur and flipline, SRT, and using the climbline. Those are the ones you really want to watch. They are fully loaded with tons of great information. :bowdown:

Have not run a 201t yet, but should start getting some in at work soon. I got cut with my hand pole saw once, and that was nasty, you can shave with that thing. Brian I am also a firm believer in J-berankes fundamentals of general tree work. Best tree book I have ever seen, like the holy bible. Yes heights everyone has there own issues and limits I think. Brain I think we will fair ok on the gun stuff, times are changing my friend, many on our side now, momentum and money. Also law enforcement and military in our corner.

Norm,
I think you'll like the 201t, light and powerful. A great saw to use for tree work. :msp_thumbup: Ayuh, Beranek's fundamentals, a must have for tree workers.
Ayuh, I believe we still have enough "real" Americans who will stand up to those who want to shred our Constitution.

metalspec,
I always try to be careful using my spurs 'cause it seems like almost every time I climb I find a way to stick my spur through my climbline at least once. :bang: Just a suggestion, if you're not doing it already, wrap your flipline around the trunk/limb once so if you do slip out it will lock onto the trunk/limb and won't let you "fall" more than a couple feet. I'll do that a lot, helps me to be more confident spiking up a tree. I also would've liked to start when I was "younger", but I'm climbing now. :msp_w00t:

Yep, I have wrapped my flipline around the tree/branch before. :msp_thumbup: helps with some confidence! I also try to climb with two when I can... Although I'm back to one for now after loaning my older one to a buddy. Definitely safer when having to unclip to get around something! It is for sure easy to spike your line though! :angry:

Got the 201T today. Thanks Brad!

Here is the first things noticed right away.

Tool less air-filter removal
Captured bar nut, Really like this on my MS261
It looks to be bigger than the 200T but I think it is just slight overall taller on the body but its foot print is really close.
Spring on the front handle (lower mount)verse the rubber A/V mount.
Scabbard seems well thought out as it locks onto the side cover sort of so it will not fall off in transport.
On/off switch is protected were as with the 200t it is on the side this is in the center. Seems it would take more abuse. I haven't broke anything on my 200T but this seems like a good idea.

Only thing that I see being an issue with down the road at a glance is the oil tank fill is now on the bottom so if the flippy cap is dirty so will it be were you leave the saw when it leaks. PLus side of this would be spilling oil will go to the bottom of the saw though and not fill in behind the recoil cover. I was really surprised last night how much crap was in mine when I cleaned it.

I put fuel in it and started it and that is all. Throttle seems good. I only ran it for maybe ten seconds. No need to sit there and blip the throttle pointlessly.

I very happy so far initially. Once up in a tree real be the real test of course.

I'll also add the handle seems just a tad different in the sense it feels for me better as it might just be profiled slightly different (larger) which for me is a plus. I don't have massive hands but they aren't small ether.

All I have here to cut now is dry split firewood and that won't really do this saw justice, but I will cut a few pieces with it.
ezynuhab.jpg

8umy5ytu.jpg

Beautiful saw Shane:blob2::cool2: Yeah I like the new style scabbards, I have seen two or more different styles recently.

Shane,
I know you're gonna love that saw(I'm so jealous). Brad has a great reputation, as good as that 201t is, having him work on it will make it even better. :msp_thumbup: I love my 200t, no complaints whatsoever. I have yet to see a 201t in person, I've only seen pictures and video. Nice lookin' saw.

I agree with ya both times Randy. Bet I will love the saw, and yes I believe there are still some Patriots, and many!

Agreed my friend! Hey looks like the working men are cutting Saturday, Aaron a couple more friends, and me! Saturday, one of our hunting spots. And hope its a burn day!

Back