The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fwiw, silver maple lot of times has heart rot. 3/4 dia rot and 1/4 sapwood. Splinters easy like tulip and quick. good chance all those heal overs from topping are weak. test that stump for heart rot or being hollow before laying into the cut. Paccity's call of dropping it is better than climbing after those questionable leaders.

Nice heads up my friend:msp_thumbup: So proceeding with all caution Randy as these guys mentioned, and even if it is sound, and you are able too climb it. Sounds like you will have to tie alot of limbs off, as Ifnh mentioned brittle, the limbs wont swing or hang then, and will break off.

Missed ya Jacob! Randy definatally work there, and I know I said it before, but you need a good team mate. Maybe find a local kid fresh out of school who wants some work. Not all jobs can be done alone, especially disection. Having somebody who can pull rope, rig. Get a small tool or another you need, and tie it on the rope so you can pull it up instead of having to climb down for it. John and I also help each other with different angles. I can see things from the bottom looking up he may miss from the air, like a phone line or service line. And same goes with him getting a different angle looking down. No matter how big or small the job we partner up. Brian good call, and I will second it looks like it was pruned or topped, and yep watch the crotches! Pac good call too, we have been lucky to be able to fall some instead of having to piece out everything.

Completely agree with ya Norm!!! I know I have the least experience hear but I think a partner is one of the most important safety factors. A good partner is invaluable. Not only can they run lines and keep from shock loading lines, see things you might not, but they might be your first shot at rescue when things go south.

Completely agree with ya Norm!!! I know I have the least experience hear but I think a partner is one of the most important safety factors. A good partner is invaluable. Not only can they run lines and keep from shock loading lines, see things you might not, but they might be your first shot at rescue when things go south.

Couldn't agree more. Not enough of a Safety net working by yourself on a tree like that. That tree to me looks like it needs to be pieced out and I honestly don't know how you'd do it by yourself, I've heard of guys self lowering limbs, but I don't know how they do it. My personal preference is to work with someone that can also climb. Now I've done little jobs myself, but nothing that big.

Anyway, not harping on ya, its your call, and your there to see exactly how it is. Just saying is all.

Thanks Brian! And Randy I hope you don't think I am giving you a hard time or trying to tell ya your buiseness, but just hoping you can partner with somebody. Anyone you know show interest in Tree work?

fwiw, silver maple lot of times has heart rot. 3/4 dia rot and 1/4 sapwood. Splinters easy like tulip and quick. good chance all those heal overs from topping are weak. test that stump for heart rot or being hollow before laying into the cut. Paccity's call of dropping it is better than climbing after those questionable leaders.

Beat me to it watch those long leeders dont cut them fast they will jump and swing into you.

how much room do you have in the back? if you have the room i would just dump it strait back. is that deck attached to the trunk.
There is room in the back, BUT, my biggest concern of just dropping it is looks like the leader in the back(front?) has included bark that runs right down through the trunk(likely to split?)...:msp_ohmy:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I appreciate your help. :msp_thumbsup:
Work safe. ::thumbsup::

Couldn't agree more. Not enough of a Safety net working by yourself on a tree like that. That tree to me looks like it needs to be pieced out and I honestly don't know how you'd do it by yourself, I've heard of guys self lowering limbs, but I don't know how they do it. My personal preference is to work with someone that can also climb. Now I've done little jobs myself, but nothing that big.

Anyway, not harping on ya, its your call, and your there to see exactly how it is. Just saying is all.
I never take it as "harping", I always take it as constructive criticism, 'cause although I've got "some experience" I know I've got
a LOT MORE to learn. I'm always looking for some one to have as a steady work partner/groundie, it's always safer to have someone
there with you. :msp_thumbsup: Haven't found anyone yet...:frown: Thanks for the comments.

Thanks Brian! And Randy I hope you don't think I am giving you a hard time or trying to tell ya your buiseness, but just hoping you can partner with somebody. Anyone you know show interest in Tree work?
Hey Norm, I know you're not giving me a hard time, you are just recommending what I need to do to work safer and I really appreciate
that. :msp_thumbsup: I know I hate to hear about anyone getting hurt.:msp_thumbdn: To tell the truth, my son is a huge help. The problem with that is right now
he is away at college. When he is home for summer break(and not working to make money for college)he is my groundie/video/camera man/gopher,
and he is getting very good at knowing what I need for help before I need it.:D Other than that I've talked with a man who owns and runs a local tree
company a couple of times and I hope to work with him a little this spring/summer. I know I'll be able to learn a lot from that. :msp_thumbsup:
I really appreciate all the help from everyone, THANKS! :msp_thumbsup:

Cool Randy, and good deal I just feel bad for you having little help. If you think they may, or are worried of a split. Fall them seperate the front first, and then the back one even if you have to throw a bull rope in it, and pull it.

Quite in the working world, a little cutting today with the prison crews again. Nothing exciting but always love it when the captain shouts instructions. And the cutters are making the backcut, they get close and always pause a little over halfway WTF? Barbar chair anybody. I always yell don't stop cut! LOL! Been on facebook, and Change .org working on my dog petition. Trying to get signatures to legalize GPS In California. 351 so far!

Quite in the working world, a little cutting today with the prison crews again. Nothing exciting but always love it when the captain shouts instructions. And the cutters are making the backcut, they get close and always pause a little over halfway WTF? Barbar chair anybody. I always yell don't stop cut! LOL! Been on facebook, and Change .org working on my dog petition. Trying to get signatures to legalize GPS In California. 351 so far!

Right on Norm! Way to make a diffrence!

Im in the PNW right now. Sure is pretty here!!

hey norm, can't you put trachers on your dogs i your state, i think most use them here.
I don't own a pig dog but we do have a big black lab who is boss at home...

...you yelling and the captain shouting, doesn't sound too "quiet"...:hmm3grin2orange: How's the weather out there
for working outside? We're getting more snow tonight and tomorrow, shoveling and plowing...:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Thanks Jacob, Will that mill is awesome! Have a cool one not far from where I grew up. Sturgeons Mill goes way back. Neil no GPS here. Only telemetry I have one, but GPS is the way I think. That is the fight I am fighting with my petition. Tired of the anti american, anti hunter laws created by DFG. Randy weather has been crummy! Rain etc. Got a new scoop friends yesterday am, just about to head for work, and my Boss calls says kick it in overdrive, big tree down, and you got your whites on? Nope forgot em, wish I had em. BIG oak on a steep sloped hillside above the road. Had to make several cuts brought up the 46 mag, and the 660. I am hurting today it was a workout.

Thanks Jacob, Will that mill is awesome! Have a cool one not far from where I grew up. Sturgeons Mill goes way back. Neil no GPS here. Only telemetry I have one, but GPS is the way I think. That is the fight I am fighting with my petition. Tired of the anti american, anti hunter laws created by DFG. Randy weather has been crummy! Rain etc. Got a new scoop friends yesterday am, just about to head for work, and my Boss calls says kick it in overdrive, big tree down, and you got your whites on? Nope forgot em, wish I had em. BIG oak on a steep sloped hillside above the road. Had to make several cuts brought up the 46 mag, and the 660. I am hurting today it was a workout.

We can use GPS here, but its not quite the perfect system yet IMO. Low battery life and the hills and hollers you will lose signal sometimes, but when it works.. its sweet! I always ran a Johnson telemetry collar for a back up....and had to use it a few times. Right now hog hunting with dogs is illegal in Tennessee as of early last year, except for 1 Wildlife managment area and a couple County's where its still legal for ''expieremental purposes.:msp_confused:''

Photo0261.jpg

wd2.jpg

These are the pics from last weekend. We are on a 160 acre wooded lot removing beetle kill. The weather did not cooperate and only got 20 trees down.

hey jim, whats that white stuff, i only see that couple of times a year here in oz and i don't like it at all.
has that man ever ran roller nose bars on that 076, i have not seen a solid bar like that in many years. Looks like you guys are haveing fun.

Latest posts

Back