The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello gents. Been getting saws ready to go for some big tree work in the morning, bout 4' diameter poplars. Wife's uncle is letting me keep all the logs for my mill. Going to be building a new shop so the wood will be welcome. Poplar is not ideal for building but it is what i have for free and it is fairly strong if quarter sawn. Those are some good looking old saws up above.:clap:
Purple poplar in Ohio when it really dried out would get hard as a rock. They use it for house siding out there. I had a cherry '65 Ford truck I used for firewood that had a poplar bed. Rolled down the hill in my back yard with a big load of ash on it. Smashed to hell. Yelled like a banshee. My poplar story.

Here's what I did today. Took the smaller one down all the way to the ground, it was 4' diameter and solid all the way to the ground. Quarter sawed the trunk on this one so I can get it on the mill. There's a bunch of pics in this one.
Gordiestrees001.jpg
Gordiestrees003.jpg
Gordiestrees004.jpg
Gordiestrees002.jpg

Here's some of the limb logs that I took home on a hay wagon and a pic of my wife's uncle and I on the stump of the smaller tree.
Gordiestrees012.jpg
Gordiestrees013.jpg
Gordiestrees011.jpg

Bravo:clap: Very nice Jim glad youre back safe brother, awesome picture's. I love the one with you guy's standing on the stump, you should frame that, great picture. Who was that with you?

Bravo:clap: Very nice Jim glad youre back safe brother, awesome picture's. I love the one with you guy's standing on the stump, you should frame that, great picture. Who was that with you?

That's my wife's uncle. Pretty good guy. He is letting me take all of the logs for my mill so I can build my new shop. There is enough wood between those two trees to do it too. I am very happy about it. Those are the biggest trees I have ever taken down.

Not doin this for money just for the firewood but here is a little tree I'm workin on right now.
DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

like that toy. miss my 83 .

Good eye on the year. It is a great runner, and has a lot of torque for a 4cyl. It will still run 70+ miles an hour with this kinda load on it. I'm never in that big of hurry so it doesn't see much over 55mph anytime. I had to sacrifice some wood room for the little toolbox but it was worth it to have a place to lock up my saws.

A place where we can all share real job's, stories, pic's. Working saw, and cutting tales. The woods or suburbs. Tree jobs logging, working men, and saws!

Nice photos.

I have a question: Why do they top those tall trees in the woods, when they are logging?

To lower the chance of splintering the top log?

Cowroy, nice toyata, miss mine to Pac. I like youre fiskar splitting mall I have the fiskars axe. Love it! Jim climbing is an art for sure, my buddy John impresses me on every job. Eat a peach good stuff dude! Nice pics, and a beautifull house. Rvalue in our case we top em if we dont have ebough layout, in the woods or on a lot. Even in tight quarters at a tree job, we can get the tops out, and chunk it out, or fall the stems, or whats left. Never seen any really topped for logging, just on tv really. Unless maybe it will snag in another tree.

Latest posts

Back