The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This splicin' stuff is WAY better than sittin' in front of the TV! :hmm3grin2orange:
Just finished up my rope lanyard, 13 feet eye to eye. I wanted it "a bit" longer but forgot to figure in how much length the splice would eat up..... :dunno: :bang:
I did already know about it, I just forgot..... :msp_tongue:
The tapers and the buries came out great again! 16 strand ain't all that bad to splice. ;)

attachment.php

This splicin' stuff is WAY better than sittin' in front of the TV! :hmm3grin2orange:
Just finished up my rope lanyard, 13 feet eye to eye. I wanted it "a bit" longer but forgot to figure in how much length the splice would eat up..... :dunno: :bang:
I did already know about it, I just forgot..... :msp_tongue:
The tapers and the buries came out great again! 16 strand ain't all that bad to splice. ;)

attachment.php

Man NHlocal that's impressive. What did it take you to learn that, and what did you have to purchase, how much, ect to do an eye splice? share the secrets man!

:popcorn:

Man NHlocal that's impressive. What did it take you to learn that, and what did you have to purchase, how much, ect to do an eye splice? share the secrets man!

:popcorn:

Thanks,
I was encouraged to learn it by one of the guys over on the Tree House site. He suggested
a couple videos. What's really impressive is all the information available for anyone who wants
to learn how. This one video in particular got me started down "the road to splicing rope"..... :hmm3grin2orange:
This video shows Double Braid rope. When I watched it I was thinking, "I know I can do that", so I did.
I'm hooked for sure now. :clap:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UghIS9xdiDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now the splices in the pics I just posted are on 16 strand rope. I was told it was a "difficult" rope to splice.
It wasn't easy that's for sure but, I followed the video and it came out just like the video showed(of course
the video showed a 5" eye and mine are both "tight eyes"). My first fids were made out of (believe it or not :confused:)
knitting needles. A good friend from Tree House sent me some good wire and I made a couple different
length wire fids which have been a huge help. I'm starting to ramble so, here's the 16 strand video.....
Come on over to Tree House or search splicing threads here, there's loads of great information to be had. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HLTPZe2i8BA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now the whipping/lock stitching is another whole part of it, but if you're going to splice you need to learn that also.
Search/Google for the tools you need, if I try to list 'em I'll miss some for sure. Watch those videos, but I warn you,
once you start there's no stopping..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Nhlocal that eye splicing is going to pay for itself. If you were around here I'd take some stuff to you and maybe you can give me half off the price those other guys charge ;)

View attachment 312211View attachment 312212

I finished taking down a bunch of limbs today then went to Vermeer to look at tree gear again. Probably shouldn't have went because I always spend 500 bucks or something like that. But this is what I brought home with me. That new red and green tree motion climbing saddle that came out, some dmm o rings, a new eye and eye prusic cord for my hitch climber, and a friction saver.

The dmm oval carabiners go great on my hitch climber and plus with that new ocean eye & eye prusic cord I've got one upgraded system, the same as the guys in competition. The saddle was a pretty penny too, but with its light weight and comfortable design, its for me; also, its being used by Scott Forest - a world champ climber himself. Also forgot to mention my new silk hand saw, that too.

I've got a vid uploading but it seems to be taking its sweet time.

Last edited:
Randy that splicing looks professional. I would love to learn, but I am not sure I would trust it after I was done LOL. Looks really good. CJ, that is pretty much the same setup I am using. I have the older Treemotion saddle with the same sillky saw and the same pully and friction saver. I love the saddle, had been really comfortable. I just recently switched from True Blue to Blue moon. With the friction saver and the smaller rope going up and down is a whole lot easier.

Nhlocal that eye splicing is going to pay for itself. If you were around here I'd take some stuff to you and maybe you can give me half off the price those other guys charge ;)

View attachment 312211View attachment 312212

I finished taking down a bunch of limbs today then went to Vermeer to look at tree gear again. Probably shouldn't have went because I always spend 500 bucks or something like that. But this is what I brought home with me. That new red and green tree motion climbing saddle that came out, some dmm o rings, a new eye and eye prusic cord for my hitch climber, and a friction saver.

The dmm oval carabiners go great on my hitch climber and plus with that new ocean eye & eye prusic cord I've got one upgraded system, the same as the guys in competition. The saddle was a pretty penny too, but with its light weight and comfortable design, its for me; also, its being used by Scott Forest - a world champ climber himself. Also forgot to mention my new silk hand saw, that too.

I've got a vid uploading but it seems to be taking its sweet time.

CJ,
that is some nice lookin' gear you got there, lookin' forward to seeing that video. :msp_thumbup:

One thing about splicing rope, you need a lot of patience. These guys in the splicing videos are
literally showing you how they splice an eye when order one on your climb line. "All" you have to
do is follow the example they are giving, and pay REAL CLOSE ATTENTION!!! If it looks just like what
they just did, you're good to go. If you don't trust it, test it. Hang a few hundred pounds(or more) on
it and see if the splice moves. The bottom line is, the technique they are showing is tried and tested.
Now you just have to have faith in your own ability to learn and duplicate that technique. ;)

Randy that splicing looks professional. I would love to learn, but I am not sure I would trust it after I was done LOL. Looks really good. CJ, that is pretty much the same setup I am using. I have the older Treemotion saddle with the same sillky saw and the same pully and friction saver. I love the saddle, had been really comfortable. I just recently switched from True Blue to Blue moon. With the friction saver and the smaller rope going up and down is a whole lot easier.

Brian,
great to hear from you again, it's been quite a while. Are your boys still "runnin' you ragged".....? :dizzy:
Thanks for the props on the splicing, like I said to CJ, it's really just following what's being shown.
I'm sure you might've figured by now I can be "kinda anal" about some things, and with splicing
it's a really good thing to be anal about, especially when you're literally "laying your life on the line". :D
You must be pretty busy, haven't seen you post much.....?
Have a safe Labor Day Weekend. :msp_thumbsup:

Ok I've finally got another vid to put up here. Nothing too fancy . didn't get to film the part where i took the crown out of these tree but Its something. [video=youtube;z16y8gM__78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16y8gM__78&feature=youtu.be[/video]
I have another new contractor to sub me out on an oak tomorrow too. The guy say's he has a lot of contracts. So with that I usually charge these guys a bit less than a home owner; but, I don't do by the hour, heck no! INFACT. .. THE guy just called me now because he's other climber quit, so I'm off again. Don't like being on the ground anyway. Laters!

Last edited:
CJ,
hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I say it 'cause I sure don't like
hearing about/seeing people get hurt, never underestimate the value of PPE. :good:

I would've liked to have seen some of the rigging. That's one of my favorite
parts of tree work. :D

If I don't get rained out I should be cutting tomorrow. :biggrinbounce2:

Have a safe Labor Day weekend! :msp_thumbsup:

CJ,
hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I say it 'cause I sure don't like
hearing about/seeing people get hurt, never underestimate the value of PPE. :good:

I would've liked to have seen some of the rigging. That's one of my favorite
parts of tree work. :D

If I don't get rained out I should be cutting tomorrow. :biggrinbounce2:

Have a safe Labor Day weekend! :msp_thumbsup:

Nah, I ain't going to take it the wrong way. I've kept my hard hat on when I'm working in the crown. A lot of us are out
in the sticks making a living doing tree work everyday. I'll keep pushing for more safetey when I'm on a job of someone elses or mine. If I can afford to get some more hard hats and chaps for us soon next I'll do it.

Last edited:
We always had hard hats when falling, never used chaps till my youngest started using a saw about two years ago, getting to be more of a habit to have them then not. and always fully dressed. hope no offense, just dont like blood.

Good to see u my friends, been sidetracked. Working man is cutting wood tomorrow. And anyone have tips, how to make redwood log benches, and or tables, using just logs and saw? wanting to make some for Jeanne. Yep always got my hard hat on when doing tree work now. Last summer, a limb may have killed me otherwise.

Norm,
good to hear from you again. From the the activity on facebook , you have been VERY busy. ;)
Not "real" sure on benches/tables, there's gotta be something on youtube I would think.....?
You're cutting tomorrow? That's great, be safe. And yes, always wear PPE! Your loved ones will thank you. :D

I've got a "pretty big" job lined up for tomorrow. Two medium Red Oaks, and six Large Pines. :msp_w00t:
The Oaks are at a co worker's house. Next to his house, garage, and of course drop service lines to his house. :msp_rolleyes:

The six Pines are at his neighbor's place. And yes, all six are lined up right alongside the main(uninsulated) power lines. :msp_scared:
With some careful climbing and cutting(and rigging)they all should go without "too much" trouble. :bringit:
Gonna be a "full" day for this working man and his chainsaw(s). Pics and video for sure!
NHlocal Productions right Norm..... :laugh:

Work safe. :msp_thumbsup:

Randy

Hey guys been around but not checking in here much or at all for the last month or so. Been busy with this and that stuff+plus some vacations and family crisis with my daughter (both hands got crushed under a rolling gate at school on the first day back to school) She is on the mend though which is good.

Hope everyone is staying safe. Ground out 500+ measured diameter of stumps today. Long day but always glad to get a check right away from happy new customer.

It was on a lot where a guy lived for 30 years and the new people took all the dead stuff down and left me with stumps

I really wished some of you guys were near me as I so would like to learn the proper technique for climbing like you do.

I'm really contemplating looking at bucket trucks. It will have to be address eventually so I need to keep my eyes open. Nothing right away but it is clear in the next two years I will have to make a choice to start turing work down or go bigger.
6y7yme2e.jpg

ajededu5.jpg

As I was finishing up my shift at the Fire dept. this morning I got a call from one of the superintendents at the golf coarse we do most of our work at. My boss has another job on another golf coarse going on right now with just over 1000 palm trees to trim, and I was supposed to go to that job today. He said he needed us there today for a tree that failed and was blocking the cart path. We have been having some nasty afternoon thunderstorms and a seemingly healthy oak spit at a large crotch. Was a pretty interesting job, a lot of weight still in the air and a lot of pressure on some of the branches. I wanted to climb it to get some of the stuff that was too high off the ground to get, and when I got back from dumping the first load I found my boss already up there:angry:. Oh well what are your going to do. Still got to log some time on my 044 so all is good. The saw is a 026 for size reference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shane and Brian,
great to hear from both of you guys again! :msp_thumbup:
Sorry to hear about your daughter Shane, glad to hear she's on the mend. :msp_smile:
Looks like you got some good work done on those stumps, well done.

Is that your boss in the tree Brian? A bit disappointing is was him and not you up there eh?
Ayuh, I can appreciate that, I love to climb too! :D I'll be doin' plenty of climbing tomorrow..... :popcorn:
Was it you that used to work on mountain bikes? My damping gave out on my fork. I can still ride it but
it bottoms out real easy even with more air in it. :bang: Any suggestions on an "affordable" fork that
will hold up over the long haul??? Thanks! :cool:

Have a safe weekend everyone! :msp_thumbsup:

Randy most forks are rebuildable. Not sure what level of fork you have though. I would ask a bicycle shop around you unless you are for an upgrade:msp_biggrin:

Ayuh,
I did look into a rebuild, my local shop told me that it would be minimum $150. :msp_scared:
Why not just go new, spend "a little" more and get something that will be all around better.....?
If I can afford it that is..... :dunno:
Just lookin' to find out what's a "good" replacement?

Ayuh,
I did look into a rebuild, my local shop told me that it would be minimum $150. :msp_scared:
Why not just go new, spend "a little" more and get something that will be all around better.....?
If I can afford it that is..... :dunno:
Just lookin' to find out what's a "good" replacement?

For sure look into one that has a lock out if you don't already have that. Had no idea so costly to rebuild ouch:taped:

Back