The worth of a BRAND NEW 066 MAG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Wiggs, Im not sending you this saw.. but I will have those decals out in the mail tomorrow morning. I SWEAR! I havent forgot about ya!

No worries :cheers:

Trade ya this mint 044 for that 066....:)

picture.php

Last edited:
Whats it worth is mostly self explanatory. Collector or no collector, this saw wont be rapidly different. As Ive told other members on the site... you get good feedback, from guys who know the business inside and out. And you get responses that dont have much merit, or experience behind their opinion. Ya gotta take it all in stride.
Im pretty sure of what this saw is worth, and is why I bought it. Why did I ask? Because I like to hear from the guys here, different ideas, different opinions. Same thing as asking a bunch of guys you dont know from Adam as to why a Kubota engine aint runnin' haha.

Ha! That was a good one, and bravo for looking up my prior threads to see who I am. I got the Kubota running on my own BTW without spending $2800 as some suggested, but I think it needs new pistons and or rings $499, oh well.

That is one SWEET saw. It would last about 2 seconds at my house before she was filled up and throwing chips.

Exactly what I was thinking Wiggs, hell I'll start the bid...give ya $800. :rock:
Personally if it were me I'd keep it. Money gained vs. money lost...you're ahead, so keep her.
Never find a lost bargain like a current bargain.

Ha, just another quality thread.......someone posts a question/new thread, while the whole time he has answer already (or an answer he would like to hear). So when someone states another opinion, the guy gets cut down. The cheer leading threads can turn ugly quickly....so take everything in stride and keep it positive.

Anyways, that is one bad saw. I really enjoy the flat top 066's, they really run well but the new saws aren't as far behind as most act like. Prices are all over the place, both new and used. Pay whatever amount you feel comfortable giving and don't worry about the rest. I've bought running 066's for $250 before and have sold a few as cheap as $350, while some sold north of $500. And nobody has had any remote interest in my 066 for $500. So the market can never be guaranteed or completely predictable.

Exactly what I was thinking Wiggs, hell I'll start the bid...give ya $800. :rock:
Personally if it were me I'd keep it. Money gained vs. money lost...you're ahead, so keep her.
Never find a lost bargain like a current bargain.

Yeah I know what you mean... I go through this everytime I sell something. I have a New Holland loader tractor that I plan on selling within a couple weeks- and without a doubt, I will NEVER find another one for the price that I have in it. But at the same time, I try to keep stuff turning- and something else always pops up.
If I kept this one, I would have to turn over the 090. Couldnt stand the thought, even though it is the least practical saw that I own haha!

Why isn't the filter cover sitting streight vs. the top cover?

Something is fishy with that saw.......:)

Beats me? I think the crooked sticker exaggerates it a bit.

I think it's been rebuilt.......:popcorn:

Yep. New piston. The previous owner straight gassed it very, very early in life. There wasnt even a scratch on it when I got it...well other than the piston. LOL

Why isn't the filter cover sitting streight vs. the top cover?

The torque on those Stihl saws is so overpowering that it twists the air filter cover mount. This clearly is a Northern Hemisphere saw. Down under, they twist in the other direction. :D :D

Both the 066 and 044 pictured are wonderful to look at. Wish I had them both in my stable, Mabel. Well, I'd have to send them both to Wiggs for porting. No point owning a saw that doesn't get used, IMO. But that's just MO. :) :)

Keep fighting over nothing, guys. It's great cinema! :popcorn:

Yeah I know what you mean... I go through this everytime I sell something. I have a New Holland loader tractor that I plan on selling within a couple weeks- and without a doubt, I will NEVER find another one for the price that I have in it. But at the same time, I try to keep stuff turning- and something else always pops up.
If I kept this one, I would have to turn over the 090. Couldnt stand the thought, even though it is the least practical saw that I own haha!

I know exactly what you're saying. I collect antique clocks, one day bought a ####ty ol' 1800's clock for 30 bucks, loved it and wanted to keep it.....but it sold for 1800 on ebay, so just gotta figure the dollar sense, I was much happier with the $1800, than I would ever be with it sitting on my shelf, guess that means I am not a true collector....hhmmmnnnnn.

I know exactly what you're saying. I collect antique clocks, one day bought a ####ty ol' 1800's clock for 30 bucks, loved it and wanted to keep it.....but it sold for 1800 on ebay, so just gotta figure the dollar sense, I was much happier with the $1800, than I would ever be with it sitting on my shelf, guess that means I am not a true collector....hhmmmnnnnn.

Even collectors need income. :) :)

Ha, just another quality thread.......someone posts a question/new thread, while the whole time he has answer already (or an answer he would like to hear). So when someone states another opinion, the guy gets cut down. The cheer leading threads can turn ugly quickly....so take everything in stride and keep it positive.

Anyways, that is one bad saw. I really enjoy the flat top 066's, they really run well but the new saws aren't as far behind as most act like. Prices are all over the place, both new and used. Pay whatever amount you feel comfortable giving and don't worry about the rest. I've bought running 066's for $250 before and have sold a few as cheap as $350, while some sold north of $500. And nobody has had any remote interest in my 066 for $500. So the market can never be guaranteed or completely predictable.

Ah, I may have come off a little wrong Epic.. I dont want to be misunderstood, but its going to happen. Not a cheerleading thread here, just thought most of the guys here would like to see a new 066.
BTW, have you threw your 066 on ebay? If it runs and looks good, I would have a hard time believing you couldnt get 500 bones for it. PM me a link if its on there.

I bought a mid 90's 066 for 300 bucks. Runs great good compression and cylinder wall. I spent about 160 bucks on new clutch drum, bearing, 28" bar and chain, new side cover and an outside spike. Is this a good deal?

Back