The worth of a BRAND NEW 066 MAG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beats me? I think the crooked sticker exaggerates it a bit.

Yep. New piston. The previous owner straight gassed it very, very early in life. There wasnt even a scratch on it when I got it...well other than the piston. LOL

Actually, I was thinking that it might have had the "Gypo treatment".......:givebeer:

I for one am enjoying the thread. And the lovely 066! A little argueing never hurt no one.

Every great plan that has ever came together in the history of the world had to be argued.:)

I bought a mid 90's 066 for 300 bucks. Runs great good compression and cylinder wall. I spent about 160 bucks on new clutch drum, bearing, 28" bar and chain, new side cover and an outside spike. Is this a good deal?

Yep.

Welcome to the site! :) :)

I bought a mid 90's 066 for 300 bucks. Runs great good compression and cylinder wall. I spent about 160 bucks on new clutch drum, bearing, 28" bar and chain, new side cover and an outside spike. Is this a good deal?

Lol, this guy here just joined in. I bet he thinks were all looney.:buttkick:

Sounds like you did pretty good on it bud, if it's in decent shape and all.:)

But as you know now from reading this thread, opinions will vary!:)

I know exactly what you're saying. I collect antique clocks, one day bought a ####ty ol' 1800's clock for 30 bucks, loved it and wanted to keep it.....but it sold for 1800 on ebay, so just gotta figure the dollar sense, I was much happier with the $1800, than I would ever be with it sitting on my shelf, guess that means I am not a true collector....hhmmmnnnnn.

Ah, I know what you mean. I couldnt keep this saw sitting on the shelf if it were going to stay with me, and I consider myself a collector. Sometimes I just let some go so other people can enjoy them too, and make room for others.
Thankfully my wife trusts my judgement, because its a little hard to convince someone who isnt into saws why you would drop big money on one, when you could buy one at Walmart for 100 bones.

I guess that depends on what kind of 066 it is.......:givebeer:

yeah its pretty cleaned up now it has obviously been used by a logger. But the guy I bought from had no mechanical skills, wore out the drum bearing and thus the drum flopped around so the oiler didnt oil the bar and wore out a perfectly good bar. I am just trying to learn this stuff I have had an ms250 for about a year but only fell 4 trees with it....... this new one is a whole diff game.. We are all nuts some just cant accept it

66Mag.jpg

Best picture that I could come up with...

No use beetn around the bush. How much you want for the saw. I kinda like
the 066's

stuff.jpg

Hey, there's a crisp unused old-school $100 bill tucked in with those newer choked-down EPA bills. Will you take $130 for it? :D :D

LOL, had to look a few times to find it. All I see is $$$$$$$$.:jawdrop:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this new 066 won't be new for long.:cry:

Yeah, ebay has always been a seller's market when it comes to prices. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen contemporary used items sell for the same price (not even including shipping) as you'd pay for the same item new on sale at a big box store. Tools, fishing/hunting gear, etc.

I know the 'bay's policies are slanted toward buyer protection rather than seller protection, but it's well known that you really have to watch carefully, set a ceiling price in advance and play a canny game to get a popular item for a decent price.

By and large, chainsaw sellers do much better on the 'bay than they do in venues where the populace is clued up. :)

Yeah, ebay has always been a seller's market when it comes to prices. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen contemporary used items sell for the same price (not even including shipping) as you'd pay for the same item new on sale at a big box store. Tools, fishing/hunting gear, etc.

I know the 'bay's policies are slanted toward buyer protection rather than seller protection, but it's well known that you really have to watch carefully, set a ceiling price in advance and play a canny game to get a popular item for a decent price.

By and large, chainsaw sellers do much better on the 'bay than they do in venues where the populace is clued up. :)

You're right on my friend!

I see 362 stihls selling for 650 on there new, and I can get them new with the warranty for about 675!

It amazes me sometimes. I think people just sit there and druel over the saws to the point that they have to have them.

I bought this 361 wrap handle the other day for 511 bux(got the shipping free). Looks brand new..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...57425&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1
I think I did OK, considering the extras it has and the shape it's in.

Sometimes you can catch the deal, but it takes alot of looking and making early offers. How I got the 660 for 700 on the Bay.

Last edited:
It's the auction mentality. Ebay's creators were mighty savvy about human nature. :)

Exactly. That saw I bought was 400 bucks till the last few hours. I thought, dang, if it goes over 500 I can't afford it now. Well it got for 485 with a minute or two left and here I go throwing down a 575.00 snipe bid!:buttkick:

Glad no one else tried to go high on it. But there's your point. I sit there and looked at it so long and was wanting it so bad, that I HAD to have it!

So bad that I was willing to throw down 575 at the time, though looking back I know I could'nt justify it or afford it. Lucky I got it cheaper!:)

Now the mint 660 was another story. I caught it early, made an early offer, and picked it up local. I think I stole it for 700!

Back