They are all gone now.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda bummed, got a message from my cuz MacKnothead, the last of the old guys I worked with, passed on to the great landing. Fred was born to run a Cat, a fine hand on the controls, never quick turned in the middle of a landing, always took care of his chokersetters. I'll bet he saw more big timber felled than anyone I know/knew. he was the go to guy for layouts, they were perfect. Fred could push an uphill switchback, without whoop-di-dos and I never saw him tear stuff up for the hell of it. Fred was one hell of a good man too.

It was an honor and a privledge to have worked with the oldtimers, I have been blessed. I am the same age as most of them were, when I worked with them, they shaped who I am today. They passed knowledge freely, they genuinely wanted their "lads" to progress into men. I could always tell when they were pleased with my work, instead of "Listen here boy" I got "It's better this way son" You really had them when you heard them call you "son".

Anyway, when you tip back a shot of cheap brown liquor, think of all the old guys that got you where you are today and will be in the future.

I only wish that I could have been a learned old man to some lad.

It was probably for the better Randy, for his old aching body to go to the great landing. I'm sure he was not afraid. I worked with my great uncle for a couple of weeks years ago, and it was a trip in time, all they way to his old Allison Cat. I can see the lad thing your talking about.

They must have needed a good cat operator in heaven.

I'm kinda bummed, got a message from my cuz MacKnothead, the last of the old guys I worked with, passed on to the great landing. Fred was born to run a Cat, a fine hand on the controls, never quick turned in the middle of a landing, always took care of his chokersetters. I'll bet he saw more big timber felled than anyone I know/knew. he was the go to guy for layouts, they were perfect. Fred could push an uphill switchback, without whoop-di-dos and I never saw him tear stuff up for the hell of it. Fred was one hell of a good man too.

It was an honor and a privledge to have worked with the oldtimers, I have been blessed. I am the same age as most of them were, when I worked with them, they shaped who I am today. They passed knowledge freely, they genuinely wanted their "lads" to progress into men. I could always tell when they were pleased with my work, instead of "Listen here boy" I got "It's better this way son" You really had them when you heard them call you "son".

Anyway, when you tip back a shot of cheap brown liquor, think of all the old guys that got you where you are today and will be in the future.

I only wish that I could have been a learned old man to some lad.

You might be surprised. Keep sharing you experiences like you do and you touch some in an age that has never had a chance to work and be around "old-timers". Myself, I've been lucky, i would not at all be who I am without having been brought up and working with the "old" guard! At times when your in it, you don't give it a thought. But every day a story a time, something plays back in my head like an old movie. In your own way, by sharing you experiences , you might help that young, or old, lad see more in himself. Thanks for always a good read!!

Gosh, thanks guys. Yep, they needed a Cat skinner, and got a great one. Fred had "mud lung" and compressed spine problems, pnumonia got him.
We were cutting right of way, Fred was bumping logs out of our way and draggin' turns. He caught me in a rare moment with nothing to do, I was chuckin' rocks at a paper wasp nest, he waved me over and gave me a bull choker, two 1 inchers. I never got caught standing around again. I learned to trust him, alot, if there wasn't a hole under the log, he would put the corner of the blade into the log, and picked it up while I wrapped cable on it.

Cody, maybe I'll put that Sticks and Ticks story up for the lads.

Gosh, thanks guys. Yep, they needed a Cat skinner, and got a great one. Fred had "mud lung" and compressed spine problems, pnumonia got him.
We were cutting right of way, Fred was bumping logs out of our way and draggin' turns. He caught me in a rare moment with nothing to do, I was chuckin' rocks at a paper wasp nest, he waved me over and gave me a bull choker, two 1 inchers. I never got caught standing around again. I learned to trust him, alot, if there wasn't a hole under the log, he would put the corner of the blade into the log, and picked it up while I wrapped cable on it.

Cody, maybe I'll put that Sticks and Ticks story up for the lads.

Keep the stories coming. As the old timers die out a lot of our history is lost forever.

Our work, our language, our customs, and our unique way of life deserve a voice...and a historical perspective.

The stories we tell, and the experiences that we share, are the tracks we leave for the younger generation to follow.

Randy- in some ways here, you're the learned old man to us young lads...

I'm sorry to hear about Fred, he must have been a real character, and a good old boy for sure.

You wood grubbs git to business!!!

"Sticks and Ticks" or "How to kill the romantic ideas about logging"

I stood there in that never-ending motherlovin' rain, watchin' the wood ticks climb up my boots, thinkin' what in the hell is soo fun about this. I attempted to light another Lucky off the last one, it wasn't happening. When I leaned over, a minor deluge poured from the hardhat, soaking them both and my Zippo was still full of mud from this morning's mishap. MacNaughton wandered over to find out why he wasn't hearing McCulloch noise, I almost smacked him in the head. I let him live another day, he had a lighter that worked. When I let my dear cousin MacKnothead talk me into this, it was a nice sunny day, it stayed that way for about ten minutes, three weeks later, the rain hadn't let up long enough to drain the Cat tracks. The first week was a scene from Hell, fresh burnt second growth Redwood timber, an inch of rain a day, the ash and mud made a slimy paste, we won't even discuss the smell. When we got to the green timber, it was even worse, the sticks, the ticks, Christ All Mighty!!! Second growth Redwoods are nothing but a pole covered with sticks, with the sticks covered with ticks. Sticks!!!, every night I dreamt of sticks, heaps of sticks, windrows of sticks, sticks covered in ticks. Insanity was close by, I used bits of it to power my way through the sticks. Oh, but the sticks knew this, they used everything they had to impede my progress, I was beaten red, black and blue, from the elbows down by the time I called it quits. Did I mention the ticks? After work, MacKnothead and I went to a dive logger bar off Broadway in Eureka, we sat in one of the back rooms and picked off ticks, tossing them with ill-concealed glee, onto a hot stove. The older gal that brought our beer and dinner laughed at us, saying we looked like monkeys picking bugs off each other. Sometimes the little bastards made their way down in my boots. The next morning, we were back at it, sticks be damned, we had a mission to pull the shade off the ground. This stand was old as far as second growth went, it had been logged in the late 1800s, regrowth was vigorous to say the least. Average DBH was around 42" with a few closing in on five feet. Scattered around were leftovers, mostly half dead burnt out snags, some of those were pretty big, we taped one out at 19 feet dia. we left most of the snags alone, but took a few, a couple were very nasty, one of the first times I saw MacKnothead sweat from performance anxiety. One snag we felled had already been partly undercut by the old hand loggers, why they quit remains a mystery. I finished what they started with a 797, wondering what the oldtimers would have thought about putting their tree on the ground in a tenth of the time. It was shortly after that when I switched to the Super 250, having done in the sprocket tip on the 850, I swear the sticks did it. I stole a set of spikes off a CP125 to put on the Super, the bark was thick, very soft and loose. Besides, jabbing the long spikes into those stick covered poles was therapeutic. The fourth week found both of us tired and beat-up, we had been doing the seven day work week, with a half day on Saturday, we started at first light, stopped when it was near dark and it was still raining. We did have a good pattern down, I mowed them down, MacKnothead bucked and played in the sticks. He was using a new Stihl 045, the sob cut crooked with it, must have been the color scheme. By Wednesday I had enough of wet, ticky sticks, I thought MacNaughton was going to start weeping with relief, he had been clinging to the last of his sanity. He had only stuck with it, because he didn't want to quit first. We retired to the bar at 10 AM, by noon we were warm, dry, tick free and an hour away from being asked to leave, something about the noise level and a bullet hole in the floor. We dragged our sorry asses to his folks house for dinner, Aunt Nancy was a fine lookin' woman, I forgave her for havin' a Campbell in her family. Mac Knothead begged me to trade him the Super, even offered his sister Di-Di as part trade. I took pity on him, did a straight across trade for the 045, besides Deirdre was a redheaded spitfire and had kept me intimidated since I was 16. Nearly 30 years later, I got the Super back from him, looked like he didn't use it much. Oh yeah, Di-Di still has me cornered.

Lol Great story!

The old timer who got me started in the woods appears to be on his way out.
Several weeks ago he was putting a flat car across a creek for a log truck bridge.
The next time I saw him he was in a wheel chair and could not even talk well.
He has advanced Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Randy, you ought to write a book about your experiences. And those of your pals. I have read books by people who logged here in B.C., and they are fascinating. Some from way back, some from the last fifty years.

Sorry about your buddy.
My father in law told me "when your numbers up, your numbers up, and I don't worry about it" He was a good guy, logged when he was a boy, before WW2, which he was in. I try to live by that, good advice.

Keep the stories coming. When you get that book together let us all know.

I never saw this story, untill tonight. Randy I wasn't the logger you were, but we are from similar thread. I can relate, and this one kinda hit home. Because the old timer's you spoke of it's like I was there with you. I was lucky to have known a few in my time. I learned alot, and since have learne'd alot more, and become a better man. I like to think though they weren't easy to please, they might be proud.

Latest posts

Back