Think I got Screwed Today, Husky Guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBUCK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there.
A couple weeks ago I pulled the pull cord out of my little Husky 55. I asked my dad to take it to the dealer and get it fixed as well as get the carb set up. The saw is about 2.5 years old and has cut about 15 bush cord tops. Last fall I did a small muffler mod maybe a 5/8 hole with a piece of screen, nothing special.
Is 5/8 to big on a 55?
Got the bill today and it was $165.
He replaced the muffler said he couldn't tune it like that.
Does that make sense?
He also did a carb kit new plug fuel filter.
He also charged me for a used rewind cover when there was nothing wrong with the original one, just needed rope.

I tried calling him tonight but he was closed.
Should he give me back the parts he took off?

Hi there.
A couple weeks ago I pulled the pull cord out of my little Husky 55. I asked my dad to take it to the dealer and get it fixed as well as get the carb set up. The saw is about 2.5 years old and has cut about 15 bush cord tops. Last fall I did a small muffler mod maybe a 5/8 hole with a piece of screen, nothing special.
Is 5/8 to big on a 55?
Got the bill today and it was $165.
He replaced the muffler said he couldn't tune it like that.
Does that make sense?
He also did a carb kit new plug fuel filter.
He also charged me for a used rewind cover when there was nothing wrong with the original one, just needed rope.

I tried calling him tonight but he was closed.
Should he give me back the parts he took off?

if all i said was 'fix the cord' i'd be a raging bull in that guys shop tomorrow.

i suppose it is all in how you/dad asked them to work on it.

Man that sucks!
I would get the cover and modded muff back at least.
He probably didn't want to tune it modded. I can only guess EPA silliness.
-br

Definitely get your parts back.....you got reamed, IMO. Why can't you tune it with a muffler mod, we all do it.???????

I'd be in there raising a BIG OL' stink! Sounds like he did a lot of stuff you didn't even ask to be done.
And I'd be finding a different dealer PRONTO!!! If they can't tune a saw with a muffler mod, then there's NO WAY I'd even want them working on my saws.
As far as the starter housing, I'd betcha he either screwed yours up trying to fix it, or was just really lazy and had a parts saw sitting around and swapped it out to save time hoping you'd never notice, or say anything about it.

Bottom Line, I'd definitely demand my starter housing and muffler back, pay the man for his filter, plug and carb kit, and little if any labor, then run like the wind to a different (Read:BETTER) dealer.

Or better yet, learn to do it yourself!

Good luck!

Murf

Doing it myself

Ya, I can't seem to get out of any local saw shops for less than $100 my self for tune-ups. How hard is it to tune the saws I have myself?:confused:

That crook has some explaining to do.

The muffler should not have been replaced without your consent. (And the "I can't tune it" line is BS.) I really don't understand why dealers don't call when they feel that something else may be needed. Customers almost always agree with the recomendation, and they will almost always be disappointed if they are not called and the bill is way higher than what was discussed. Calling is a no brainer.

A rope is about the simplest job a guy can do. Unless there was something else wrong with the starter, such as a broken post that holds the spring or whatever, then there is no valid reason to put on a new starter.

Plug and fuel filter with the carb kit is legit however. Should have drained and cleaned the tank while he was at it.

No wonder some of you guys don't like dealers. BTW, dealers like this are the guys who stand up at meetings and whine about how they are getting screwed by everybody and everything else. They should try looking in the mirror.

Not to take sides here, but the factual info that is missing here is what your Dad said to the dealer. It is still rediculous that they would take off your muffler, and say that they can't tune it that way, but maybe it is an EPA thing. I would definitely get my parts back, and see if I couldn't meet him somewhere in the middle for his filter, plug, and labor.

Ya, I can't seem to get out of any local saw shops for less than $100 my self for tune-ups. How hard is it to tune the saws I have myself?:confused:

It really ain't that tough. Muffler mods, just about any neanderthal can punch a hole in a muffler. Making it look good though, that takes some skill and patience.
Carb tuning is somewhat trickier, but you can get good at it by reading up on it here. There's literally hundreds of threads on the subject, as well as limit caps too! If you wanna be on the safer side and spring for a Tach you can go that route too.

It can be done, just gotta have some common sense and the faith in yourself to comprehend what you're doing!

Good Luck!

Murf

I have some experience with dealers and modded saws, they will not work on or tune saws with modded mufflers period. Once a muffler is altered from stock the settings on the carb need to be readjusted, the dealers go strictly by the book and feel they have to provide some sort of warranty if the work on a saw. Therefore every thing must be stock, as it comes from the factory for them to tune a saws. This dealer should just have replaced the starter cord for the OP but what did his dad actually ask the dealer to do. If he said do what it takes to get it running properly then that is what this deal sounds like to me.
Pioneerguy600

doesn't sound outrageously expensive, but I don't like work being done that doesn't need done. If it ran ok before, why need a carb kit or muffler in the first place.....

he probly has no idea how to tune a saw or chane the rop so he just found a new recoil and replaced the hole thing. i bet that carb is not tuned he just set it to 1 turn out or whatever husky recomends in theyre manual.

i would go back return all parts and ask for all your money back and find a lawnmower/saw service shop that isnt much of a dealer they will fix you up for much cheaper and will no how to tune your saw.

my train of thinking is to always stay away from dealers if they have more then 5 new saws for sale.

i agree to a point. the starter cord was the kicker that pushed me over the edge. that one simple fact alone makes me think this dealer either didnt want to take the time to install a 2 dollar rope or didnt know how so just put a new recoil on. or maybe they dont have rope instock wich probly also bends towards me thinking they dont know how to change a rope.

Last edited:
My dads exact words were set her up and fix the pull cord.
The carb kit plug and filter don't bother me. Its the muffler and rewind.

He has no problem with epa because he set up my 395 with muffler modd with no problem at all.

Is a 5/8 hole to big in a 55?

That dealer is just :censored: wrong Sir. I would have to take the saw and go back and see him soon to explain this to you face to face. :angry2::angry2:

No, no, no...the "I got screwed by a dealer" stories are supposed to be about Stihl dealers. Then the Husky guys jump in until THall sets us straight.

Newbies...sheesh.

Last edited:
I will go saturday morning

Never hurts to be calm and unflappable. Lots of possible reasons the dealer did what he did, and none of us knows everything about why other people do things.

Especially when we read about and comment on them on Internet forums.

Were it my saw, the dealer would definitely have some explaining to do, but I'd let him explain it, and I'd listen to him and watch his eyes and manner. Could be he's a crook. Could be he's incompetent. Could be he's neither of those things, and you won't know until you know. :) :) :)

And bring your Dad if you can. If he's there, the dealer can't quite snow you if that's what he would try to do, since Dad can give him the lie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back