Think I got Screwed Today, Husky Guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there.
A couple weeks ago I pulled the pull cord out of my little Husky 55. I asked my dad to take it to the dealer and get it fixed as well as get the carb set up. The saw is about 2.5 years old and has cut about 15 bush cord tops. Last fall I did a small muffler mod maybe a 5/8 hole with a piece of screen, nothing special.
Is 5/8 to big on a 55?
Got the bill today and it was $165.
He replaced the muffler said he couldn't tune it like that.Does that make sense?
He also did a carb kit new plug fuel filter.
He also charged me for a used rewind cover when there was nothing wrong with the original one, just needed rope.

I tried calling him tonight but he was closed.
Should he give me back the parts he took off?

Of course he couldn't tune it like that. He already had put the muffler on his own 55.....

You are entitled to all of your old parts. You owned them when you took the saw in. Unless he bought them from you, they're still yours.

I can understand the idea of shops not wanting to work on anything that has been modded for liability sake, but he should have warned you before throwing parts at it. Probably time to find another dealer after you get your parts back.

if it was me,,i would go get my muffler back and your money for the new one,,,,,,seems like when they get told to do what ever they think it needs,,they go way over board,,,,,1 question,,,,did you get a tub of vasoline

Doesnt suprise me at all that he wouldnt tune it with the muff mod. Chainsaw dealers are just like car dealers you alter it from stock they wont touch it. Trust me i have a 04 lifted rubicon tried to take it back to the dealer with 350 miles on it for them to replace a pinion seal they wouldnt touch it because it was lifted.

No, no, no...the "I got screwed by a dealer" stories are supposed to be about Stihl dealers. Then the Husky guys jump in until THall sets us straight.

Newbies...sheesh.

Hahaha, I was surprized the OP wasn't talking about a Stihl dealer,LOL

He shouldn't fret. This morning a man brought me a 372 sprocket cover and chain adjuster kit. He had broken off the screw that holds the small plastic piece the stops the adjuster from sliding back too far. I refused to mess with it but gave him a drill to try and drill out the small broken off screw. I asked him what did that chain adjuster kit cost, ya ready, he had the invoice, $60.00. I was floored. When I showed him the price of a adjuster kit for a 460, $18.95 he about died,LOLOLOL

My dads exact words were set her up and fix the pull cord.
The carb kit plug and filter don't bother me. Its the muffler and rewind.

He has no problem with epa because he set up my 395 with muffler modd with no problem at all.

Is a 5/8 hole to big in a 55?

No, a 5/8 hole is fine , get your parts back and look for a new dealer.

He shouldn't fret. This morning a man brought me a 372 sprocket cover and chain adjuster kit. He had broken off the screw that holds the small plastic piece the stops the adjuster from sliding back too far. I refused to mess with it but gave him a drill to try and drill out the small broken off screw. I asked him what did that chain adjuster kit cost, ya ready, he had the invoice, $60.00. I was floored. When I showed him the price of a adjuster kit for a 460, $18.95 he about died,LOLOLOL

how much did you charge him to use the drill?

:)

how much did you charge him to use the drill?

:)

Let me think, oh, I hit him for 60.00 for the use of the drill,LOL

Naaaaaaaaaa, I even gave him a good drill bit. He screwed up the cover like I knew he would and I would too. Thats why I wouldn't fool with it. He will wind up getting a new sprocket cover time he gets done messing that one up..

I'd go kick that guy's ass then tell him to use that $165 he screwed me out of to pay the cost of taking me to court for kicking his ass...

but then again, just exactly what does "set her up" mean, could be totally different opinions on that...

Holy smokes I bought the clutch cover with chain adjuster inc. for $65 for my 2165 J-red and that's Canadian! The chain adjuster only retails for $28 cnd. He got taken.

Last edited:

Only a moron would pay $60 for a chain adjuster kit.

Have a old timer that comes in the shop all the time. He has one of those small Echo saws. He was talking about how the chain was running "ruff" on it. I looked at it and the sprocket is worn fairly bad with deep grooves. I told him a new sprocket would resolve his issue but that I didn't stock any Echo parts. He took the saw back up to a JD dealer where he bought it. He asked them to order him a new sprocket. They, according to him, looked up the parts and quoted him $165.00 because the sprocket comes with the entire clutch as an assembly. He called me and asked did that sound right. I said no, you don't need the clutch, only the sprocket. The JD dealer wouldn't budge, take it as an assembly or don't take it. I personally find it hard to beleive the entire assembly can cost that much for a 299.00 saw.

Sunday I went over to his place to do some prunning for him and while there I ran his new MS180 for abit. He told that dealer where he could stick that assembly, good for him I say and another sale for me.....

Have a old timer that comes in the shop all the time. He has one of those small Echo saws. He was talking about how the chain was running "ruff" on it. I looked at it and the sprocket is worn fairly bad with deep grooves. I told him a new sprocket would resolve his issue but that I didn't stock any Echo parts. He took the saw back up to a JD dealer where he bought it. He asked them to order him a new sprocket. They, according to him, looked up the parts and quoted him $165.00 because the sprocket comes with the entire clutch as an assembly. He called me and asked did that sound right. I said no, you don't need the clutch, only the sprocket. The JD dealer wouldn't budge, take it as an assembly or don't take it. I personally find it hard to beleive the entire assembly can cost that much for a 299.00 saw.

Sunday I went over to his place to do some prunning for him and while there I ran his new MS180 for abit. He told that dealer where he could stick that assembly, good for him I say and another sale for me.....

:jawdrop: That's roasting the customer! I don't care what they say I'm sure that guy could have just bought the sprocket. You don't keep customers treating them like that!

PS. I find all JD dealers Pricks!

:jawdrop: That's roasting the customer! I don't care what they say I'm sure that guy could have just bought the sprocket. You don't keep customers treating them like that!

Exactly. He called me from the JD dealer when they were arguing over it and I told him that was non-sense. They won't be seeing him anymore, he's a Stihl user now. He and me worked 3 hours at his place Sunday. His new 180 runs great. I sell those things but never really got out in the woods with one. That little thing runs and cuts pretty good. He was very pleased with it...

Latest posts

Back