Think i want a 60cc saw, which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss my old 346. I ran the 550 and it seems like a nice saw, but I like the 346 better. I want another one. My 261 is a very solid saw and someday will get a burr put to it by one of a few builders on here, TBD. I would buy another 346 in a heartbeat (given the opportunity and the). I like my 562 very well. It doesn't cure cancer, of make tree tremble in it's presence, but it's light, smooth and cuts very well. The power as mentioned earlier is a bit deceiving however. There are times I like to run Huskies and times I like to run cream sickles... There are exceptions on both sides, BUT, if you want high-rpm easy-load cutting, get the 562. If you want torque and the ability to lean on it, get the 362 or equivalent... My old 039 had more torque than my 562 does. It wouldn't cut as fast letting the chain do the work, but the Stihl could be leaned on a lot more w/o stalling. I agree with Sunfish though. I like big toys, but when it's time to work, I want the smallest, easiest to use tool for the task at hand. It's less taxing and I'm more productive, especially in mid-western trees which have short trunks and large canopies...

Let the flaming commence.

60cc is such a dead class now (or was it always?). 50cc is the new 60cc. If you were going for a one saw plan it'd be 70cc for sure. If it's a two saw plan then it's going to be 50cc/70cc, or 70cc/90cc. 60cc saws are not really any more powerful than a good 50cc (especially if the 50cc is ported!) but they also aren't really much lighter an a 70cc saw and in no way measure up to that class.

A Ported 50cc saw is a great smaller saw and perfect for limbing. I have both the 550xp and the stihl 261 ported. The 550xp wears a 16" 3/8 .050 pro lite bar and RS chain. The Stihl 261 currently has an 18"
3/8 .050 light bar and RS chain. I keep the 261 as backup and use the 550xp for limbing. The 60cc ported Jonsered 2260 with the small bar mount, 20" pro lite bar and RS is a whole different animal and chews up and spits out a 50cc saw. When it's time to get serious and cut bigger wood it's time for the Ported 2260 Jonsered. Way more power than the 50cc and almost feels the same weight as the Stihl 261.
I have compared the ported 50cc saw with a 20" bar and the 2260 and it's just not in the same league.

I love my 50cc, 60cc and 70cc ported saws but they have different uses and power depending on the task at hand. I have a ported 70cc saw but it's heavier than the 2260 and no reason to use it over the
2260 unless it's much bigger wood. The ported 2260 60cc saw with 20" bar is one incredible cutting machine and could be the perfect all round single saw.

Ported 550xp With 16" Pro Lite 3/8 .050 Bar and Stihl RS Chain
IMG_1646.jpg

Ported 2260 With 20" Pro Lite 3/8 .050 Bar and Stihl RS Chain
IMG_1603.jpg

Ported Jonsered 70cc With 28" techlite 3/8 .050 Bar And Stihl RS Chain - Waiting For a Lightweight 24" Sugihara Bar
IMG_1630_zpsa7900f9f.jpg

60cc is such a dead class now (or was it always?). 50cc is the new 60cc. If you were going for a one saw plan it'd be 70cc for sure. If it's a two saw plan then it's going to be 50cc/70cc, or 70cc/90cc. 60cc saws are not really any more powerful than a good 50cc (especially if the 50cc is ported!) but they also aren't really much lighter an a 70cc saw and in no way measure up to that class.

That is basically just hot air - if you have the 60cc saw ported as well, the difference opens up again - there isn't any "magic" with any particular cc class(es). :givebeer:

I was hesitant to post on this thread because of my limited experience with different saws. After years of cutting with a 50cc saw I bought a Husky 359 and can't tell you what a difference it makes. There may be better 60cc saws out there but I'm really impressed with it. So you see an old dog can learn new tricks.

That is basically just hot air - if you have the 60cc saw ported as well, the difference opens up again - there isn't any "magic" with any particular cc class(es). :givebeer:

No amount of porting skill is going to make a 60cc saw much lighter than a 70cc, and the 70cc class is so hot right now. 50cc saws have come a long way in the last few years, and the gap has really been bridged. The 346 especially, when ported is just about as good as any 60cc saw and is a pleasure to run and handle. It's really all that's needed for falling, limbing and bucking trees up to about 20" in softwoods. Of course, I can't really talk because i make my living from taking trees out and run these saws every day ;-)

I have no favoratism, we run both husky and stihl. I've owned most saws in the stihl range, and ran most huskys available. I don't give a damn about the colour, we've just got to get the job done with the least amount of fuss in the least amount of time. Used to have 60cc saws in the truck, but found nobody ever grabbed them. 50cc saws are so nice to run, and when they're out of steam stepping up to a 60 really doesn't get you much. Used to use 60cc saws as light to medium falling/bucking saws but the 50cc saws now handle all that quite easily.

Shaun

No amount of porting skill is going to make a 60cc saw much lighter than a 70cc, and the 70cc class is so hot right now. .....

That's exactly where you go wrong in your reasoning, as there is a large weight difference between the light er 60cc saws and the 70cc saws. Also, the 70cc class isn't really "hot" at all at the moment - rather somewhat "underdeveloped". Something needs to be done in that class ASAP, and it is going to be (but I don't know how soon).....

Those are some pretty red saws above. I recognize the 2166 in the above pics:). How does it pull the 28" since it is ported? I went to Terrys the last week dtermined to buy a 562 and put a 20" techlite on it for a small saw. Or Mick n60 since it is small mount.......but a 2188 kept calling my name! Still kicking around a small saw option since my i gave my new 346 to my brother for xmas.

I love my echo cs600p. It's really impressed me with the way it handles the hardwoods I'm after. Plus the & $450 price tag was unbeatable! It keeps right up with my 6400 dolmar which cost a mere $300 more! LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Saw troll....rumor is the new 70cc husky is nice but hope it gets here soon. The 372 torque is nice but I prefer the OE 372......now that is a saw:rock:...especially ported:). I think we would agree the 441c is flat awful.....it runs awesome and is smooth......but feels like a 2188 or 390xp:dizzy:. What was Stihl thinking?

That's exactly where you go wrong in your reasoning, as there is a large weight difference between the light er 60cc saws and the 70cc saws. Also, the 70cc class isn't really "hot" at all at the moment - rather somewhat "underdeveloped". Something needs to be done in that class ASAP, and it is going to be (but I don't know how soon).....

I have to disagree. I can't speak for makita, dolmar etc as the dealer support in aus is so poor that they aren't viable options for professional use, so it comes down to basically husky or stihl here. Under those two marquees, the 60cc saws are not particularly lighter than 70cc, and not particularly more powerful than 60cc. The paper specs are one thing, but running them every day is something else. When you actually have the saws in the truck, ready to use and workers still opt out of using them, that tells you something right there. There are in fact magic numbers and sweet spots with saws. Sometimes that little bit less weight or little bit more power makes a saw a whole lot sweeter to run. Comparing them on paper doesn't tell the whole story.

Those are some pretty red saws above. I recognize the 2166 in the above pics:). How does it pull the 28" since it is ported? I went to Terrys the last week dtermined to buy a 562 and put a 20" techlite on it for a small saw. Or Mick n60 since it is small mount.......but a 2188 kept calling my name! Still kicking around a small saw option since my i gave my new 346 to my brother for xmas.

The Ported 2166 pulls the 28" just fine but I think a 24" will be better. It has been a long drawn out battle to find a lightweight 24" bar and have finally decided to get a Lightweight Sugihara 3/8 .050 24" bar with stihl mount and use the adapter from homelite410. I have also been thinking of a ported 2188 from Terry but the use will probably be very limited.

If you are looking at a 60cc saw I would go with a ported 2260 Jonsered with small husky bar mount. With a 20" pro lite bar the 2260 feels almost the same weight as my ported stihl 261 and definitely lighter than the ported 70cc saw. The ported 60cc saw has a whole lot more power than both my ported 550xp and ported stihl 261 50cc saws and is a real pleasure to use with a 20" pro lite 3/8 .050 bar. Can't imagine that a ported 346 would much different than the ported 550xp and ported stihl 261.
For what I do the ported 2260 60cc saw with 20" pro lite bar is a real winner.

I've got a 550XP (.325/16 stock) and 2 562XP's (3/8-20" stock, 3/8-28" muffler mod) and love them all. There's no way the 550 is even close to the 562 performance wise. They're intended for different purposes and excel at what they're designed for. I ran a 562XP Wicked Work Saw back in October and was blown away by it.

In my case, I rarely have a need for anything larger, but am keeping both eyes open for the new Husqy. ;) If the price and or features don't impress me, I'll probably get one of my 562's ported instead.

I've got a 550XP (.325/16 stock) and 2 562XP's (3/8-20" stock, 3/8-28" muffler mod) and love them all. There's no way the 550 is even close to the 562 performance wise. They're intended for different purposes and excel at what they're designed for. I ran a 562XP Wicked Work Saw back in October and was blown away by it.

In my case, I rarely have a need for anything larger, but am keeping both eyes open for the new Husqy. ;) If the price and or features don't impress me, I'll probably get one of my 562's ported instead.

Have TLandrum port your 550xp and one of your 562's and you will be set. Once you run ported it's hard to go back. For where we are in western, NC a ported 550xp with 16" bar and a Ported 2260 with 20" bar would be all the saws you would ever need. Now the want is a different story.

I completely disagree! Have you ever handled or used a 562xp? 560xp, 2260?

Giving the choice between a new 372xp or a 562xp, I'd take the 562xp hands down!

One size doesn't fit all. I rarely cut anything over 30". So it really depends where ya live and what ya cut!

346xp is still my favorite! :D

Not many people realize that the OE 372 power head is 13.4 pounds and the 372xtorque is 14.1 pounds. The OE 372 balances perfect with a 20" and it takes a 24" to balance an xtorque. The 562 is 12.57 and most run a 20". That gets close to OE 372 weight. I have ran ported versions if both side by side and the OE 372 pulls away easily in 20" or bigger for less than a pound in weight.

Latest posts

Back