Think I Want to Try a Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Through the encouragement of the excellent participants on this forum, I felt compelled to grab a Stihl to be enlightened to the wonderments of that fine piece of machinery. I was "old school" preferring to remain with my old Homelites (they are still great saws and work well). The Stihl MS-460 has been a delight and I am not done with Stihl. There will be more in the stable (looking for one to put a bow on) in the future, but in the meantime, it may be time for a Husky. Danged Huskies used to give me fits on the motocross and scrambles tracks in District Six, so maybe I should pay attention to their saws. My question is which Husky. I currently run the Stihl 460 25" b&c, an Echo 670 20" b&c, a Poulan 3700 (bow), a Homelite Super Wiz 66 (bow), a Homelite XL-12 16" b&c, a Homelite Super Mini VI 16" b&c, and an Echo 300 for trimming the old fruit trees. What Husky model would fit in with this pack of mongrels. I would not use it for felling. It would wear a 18 to 20" b&c of 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge. I am not fond of .325 chain. Primarily, I would grab the saw for limbing fallen stuff and bucking-up stuff (instead of grabbing the bow mounted saws). I always take two saws with me, but I am thinking that a Husky should be one of the two, at least some times. I have absolutely no experience with Husky. I ran most brands of saws, but Husky was never at my disposal. I am crawling out of my skin being curious. I am thinking "I have got to have one". I think it is beyond a want. It's bordering on a "need". What has happened to me?

What are the virtues of the 359 over, say, the 357XP? The size of the 357, 359 in displacement seem to be about the size I should be looking for. Guess I want to get the most bang for my buck.

It's not a Husky, but you may want to consider the Dolmar 5100.
I has the the nice anti-vibe like the Husky along with the inboard clutch of the Stihl.
Just a thought...as you drive youself nuts over a new toy decision.:)

I would say a 359 also. It seems you are used to torwue with your current lineup and the 359 has a little more torque and a little less speed than the 357. We just got a 357 in a few months ago. Its a peppy little saw with a 18" b&c.

If it doesn't say XP after the number it just isn't the real deal. 61 vs 266xp, 365 vs 372XP, and so on, the XP saws seem to always have more balls. I say 357XP, I used one with an 18" bar, screamer.

Well, I have an ehp 357XP, which is one sweet machine. In a test, against this brand new ehp Dolmar 5100 S, it was a tad faster.....
ehp5100.jpg

I'd say, get the 5100, stock it is 4.0 hp versus the 3.9 of the 359, and it is a pound lighter and a few bucks cheaper. Either way, have Ed mod what ever you get into a real dynamo!!

458_lott said:
What are the virtues of the 359 over, say, the 357XP? The size of the 357, 359 in displacement seem to be about the size I should be looking for. Guess I want to get the most bang for my buck.
I don't have any of those saws, but I don't think there is any doubt that the 357xp is the better/faster saw of those when both are stock.

Hired Gun said:
...., save the money over the 357, and send the 359 to Ed and get it ported.
When both are fully woods modified, at least if done by ehp, the 359 has been reported to be at least as fast as the 357xp. I suspect it has something to do with differences in available space in the crank, due to the "full circle" crank of the 357xp, but I am not sure.

Both saws weight more than advertised by Husky.:angry:

Both saws also has outboard clutch/inboard sprocket, which bothers some people, and not others.

Last edited:
rbtree
Cool pic of the saw over the woodburner. That's' a heck of a place to keep the saw tough...wouldn't it be better off in the shed?
heh,heh,heh.....nice pic!

I appreciate all of the input. Never having owned or operated a Husky, I am in complete ignorance of their saw products except their excellent reputation that is inescapeable on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. Some people have suggested Dolmar. I never owned any Dolmars, but have been around them for many, many years. I know they are good saws. I just would like to add a Husky next. There seems to be some disagreement about the 357XP and the 359. Everyone hear has endorsed both as being good saws. I don't have to have the absolute fastest, etc. but I do want reliable and a hard working saw. Probably, both models discussed with fit-the-bill. I will have to ruminate a bit more. Ruminating seems to be what I do best. It took me considerable time to come to the decision to buy the MS-460. I have learned by taking my time (and ruminating), I end up having fewer disappointments once I make my mind up and make the purchase. I wanted to poll you guys as I know nothing about Husky saws. The new Stihl really feels good. Easy to run and easy to handle. The Huskies I have handled feel really good in my hands. From what I can gather, they hold-up very well also. They seem to have some "tinkertoy" type parts on them (choke, master control or whatever Husky calls it), but apparently it is durable. I kinda like the metal spring antivibe stuff. Well, I guess the models to consider would be the 357XP or the 359. From what you guys have said, I really couldn't go wrong with either. I suppose the next step is to search for a Husky dealer that will offer support should some be needed. As usual, thanks again. Michael

458_lott said:
..... I kinda like the metal spring antivibe stuff. Well, I guess the models to consider would be the 357XP or the 359. From what you guys have said, I really couldn't go wrong with either. I suppose the next step is to search for a Husky dealer that will offer support should some be needed. As usual, thanks again. Michael
If your new saw does not have to be a Husky, I think you should consider the Stihl MS361 as well. That model offer both the "metal spring antivibe stuff" and an outboard sprocket.
It also has the same controls as your new 460, which may or may not be an issue for you (I have to admit that I like the Husky controls you refer to better).:taped:

Not to hijack the thread, but I've never had a husky either and have always wondered about them. I love my Stihls but the only problem I have with them is the parts are dealer only, so if something breaks I have to wait to do my weekly run and then wait a few days or whatever to get it. It would be nice to be able to order an oil pump, for example, on a saturday evening and have it monday or tuesday.

Anyway, I have no idea about sizes. I'd be looking for something about the size of a Stihl 39. What would people recommend?

Thanks!

Wood Butcher said:
.... Anyway, I have no idea about sizes. I'd be looking for something about the size of a Stihl 39. What would people recommend?
That would be the Husky 365, if still availiable.
It is a much much nicer saw than the 039/MS390, and it has a bit more power too.
Displacement and weight is about the same.

sawtroll,

You and I are thinking alike. After posting my thread, I again started ruminating. Cripes, I do that alot. Anyway, I was thinking if a don't jump on a Husky, the MS-361 is looking awful good. You guys tout that as being the "nuts". I just kinda wanted a Husky, but I do love my Stihl. I think I could be comfortable with a Dolmar also. Having said that, is there any drawback to getting a Husky from Baileys? Seem to have about as good of a price as anyone. A 359 is $429 with 20" b&c. I know Baileys is a reputable place.

Wood Butcher said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I've never had a husky either and have always wondered about them. I love my Stihls but the only problem I have with them is the parts are dealer only, so if something breaks I have to wait to do my weekly run and then wait a few days or whatever to get it. It would be nice to be able to order an oil pump, for example, on a saturday evening and have it monday or tuesday.

Anyway, I have no idea about sizes. I'd be looking for something about the size of a Stihl 39. What would people recommend?

Thanks!
I just bought the Husky 365 special. I love the thing, can't stop cutting. I already have all of next years firewood cut, now what am I going to do?

Back