thinking about a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Assassin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
current working line up

mak 6401 soon to up grade to 85cc
sthil 041
echo cs400
echo cs3000

i got big saw covered
lil saw covered

the cs 400 w muffler mod is a great " back" up all round saw

i am looking for a lightweight or good middle saw to be used all the time w 18 bar
50 cc range

any one with experience with dolmar 111

i know where i can get a good one for 2 bills

id like to find a mak dcs540

but am looking at the mak 510 any one with experience with this saw

thanks guys

As said before why buy a saw you have to mod to run good?

i am going to sell my 041 to help fund part of my new purchase it runs great but i have no need for to 60 cc saws as i love the 6401

what i love about the mak/dolmar is the price they are good saw for the money and since i cut 20 ricks a year they are perfect for my need

it was funny yesterday i let dad use the cs 400 that i muff modded and tuned and the 6401

dad has cut all his life with a poluan 16 inch wal mart special and an old poluan (sears) micro 25

he said the cs400 was better than any thing he ever cut i run a 91vxl chain on it

then he picked up the makita and went to town

dad is in his 60's and dont get out much bad arthritis and bursitis he just smiled and said

dang we needed that 20 years ago lol

right tools for the job make all the difference

Get a 346XP!

If price is a concern, the Dolkita is cheap from the Amazonians.

As said before why buy a saw you have to mod to run good?

Mod that 5100 and live in blissfulness! I did it to mine and it pulls a 20" with 3/8" like a 361. You can shove the 346 where the sun don't shine IMO! Have yet to run a 261, but it's going to take a lot to impress me now! My 346xp eating 350 sits now, those 5100's are just sick beasts!;)

Mod that 5100 and live in blissfulness! I did it to mine and it pulls a 20" with 3/8" like a 361. You can shove the 346 where the sun don't shine IMO! Have yet to run a 261, but it's going to take a lot to impress me now! My 346xp eating 350 sits now, those 5100's are just sick beasts!;)

Who, what, and how much? It pulls right with the 6401 but this was dead white pine so I will get back with the oak report.

Who, what, and how much? It pulls right with the 6401 but this was dead white pine so I will get back with the oak report.

A dremel, some bits and whatever you like to drink! VERY little work to do to these, mainly just widen the ports and blend the bottom of the transfers.
The muffler mod, drill two 3/8" holes across from the inlet, take a 1/2" cold chisel and a hammer, cut the sides of the baffle from the inlet side, both sides, a couple of wacks will start to bend it over. Then bend the baffle on over with the chisel.
These things are about as easy to mod as it gets!

A dremel, some bits and whatever you like to drink! VERY little work to do to these, mainly just widen the ports and blend the bottom of the transfers.
The muffler mod, drill two 3/8" holes across from the inlet, take a 1/2" cold chisel and a hammer, cut the sides of the baffle from the inlet side, both sides, a couple of wacks will start to bend it over. Then bend the baffle on over with the chisel.
These things are about as easy to mod as it gets!

I got Family in Kansas PM where your at?

Latest posts

Back