Thinking about a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need some advice (I know this is a Chevy vs. Ford type of question) but I am contemplating a new saw. I have always used Stihl or Jonsered (and I am partial to Jonsered) but my dealer is pushing me towardsa a Husqvarna (395). I finally figured out why (Jonsered doesn't make a saw that big). I know that Jonsered and Husqvarna are the same saw (basically). The other saw is the Stihl 660 (Old 066). Anyone used both? Anyone have a preference? I'll put a 36" bar on the one I buy. Right now the Husky looks a little bit better except for putting the damn chain on. Tell me why you like one over the other (if you can, I know because most people ask me why I like Jonsered and I can't tell them why!). Thanks for the input. Oh, by the way, if it matters, I cut about 50 to 100 cords per year with my Dad and neighbor (we all have outdoor wood stoves, and sell a little here and there)

I wouldn't agonize too hard. Neither are lemons, in fact they're more like different colored roses. I would look for the best deal you can get, and enjoy the flying sawdust!

This about sums up my thoughts. I've found that in GENERAL you get a little more bang for the buck with a Husky if you're only lookin' at price, but were not talking a lot of difference. They are both good saws, so I'd focus on the dealer. Got any good Stihl or Husky dealers near you? How about extra good bars laying around... if you have more Stihl than Husky then maybe that would sway your decision. I have several of both flavors and have had good luck with both, although both my Husky's keep the air filter cleaner than any of my Stihls do with that blow through design.

Yes, Ford & Chevy......If dad would of had Huskys, maybe that's
what I would have today. So if you have no real preference of
brand, Go look, pickup and handle the saws and scope out the dealers.
Ask around about the dealers, try to find out which one treats their
customers the best and has a good service dept.

From what I understand, Stihl are infinitely repairable without too much difficulty.

I'd like to get a 4-stroke for milling though.

Latest posts

Back