Thinking about buying a skidsteer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakBuster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, limited budget here. I have a trailer, truck, chainsaws, splitter and unlimited supply of wood. Only problem is I hate splitting on site, so I buck the wood and haul it home. Problem is; it takes so much time to load the trailer and truck. So I was thinking may be a skidsteer would make my life a bit easier by lifting the logs over the trailer so i can buck it right there! also moving the rounds around etc. I found this bobcat 632 with newly rebuilt ford gas engine, unknown hrs and no noticeable leaks. Everything works. Guy was asking 4500 i got him down to 3750. I never owned a skidsteer so i know nothing about them. Any advice would be appreciated. :msp_thumbup:
9276643.jpg

1830877.jpg

Looks like a decent unit..I'd hold out for a diesel unit just from milelage standpoint (you know what I mean). i haven't been up on the prices, but that doesn't seem too bad at all... Then you have to think about all that weight that you are going to be hauling with a cat and a load of wood.... invest into a grapple bucket, or make one.

If that 632 has fresh power and the guts in the engine cavity area are clean and the lines / fittings all good that's a great buy. I see tired Cats on their last leg or worse bring that kind of money.

I spent some serious time running a 632 and a 742 I owned over the years (both gas Ford motors), bear in mind the exhaust is but a few feet directly behind your head in those and unless you really like the smell of diesel exhaust, well buyer beware. I hated running the older diesel units, sometimes wind direction isn't your friend and I wouldn't have one.

Rule of thumb when your getting used to using one, easy does it! Keep the rpm's a bit low for the first few hours your running it until you get the hang of the foot pedals and hand controls, you can get one of those rocking pretty good and kiss the top of your head on the cage in a real hurry if your tall. -That hurts a bit.

Amazing machine, you can't imagine the work it allows one man to get done in a days time.

Last edited:
You can always pick up some extra cash doing small soil moving/landscaping jobs on the side.

A trailer to move it will cost $ 1500 used to $4k new, most of the insurance companies do not want anything to do with surge brakes on trailer so that means electric for both axles, just a tip if looking at used ones. Pintel hitch is easier to use than 2-5/16 ball also. Total load weight might be over what a 1/2ton PU can handle by regulations. Depends a bit on how persnickity the LEO's are in your area.

Looks like a good machine for the price.

If you are thinking about bucking logs over the trailer then I would suggest a log grapple like this. Would make the job a lot easier than forks or a regular grapple bucket.

wallenstein-lgrapple-lx5100-5.jpg

thanks for the advice guys! i am going to take a look at it today, now i have to convince the wife =(. I am military and i'll be moving to germany for 3 years May next year. So i'm going to have to sell all my stuff before i leave. Unless I can find a way to store it for 3 years. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks!

thanks for the advice guys! i am going to take a look at it today, now i have to convince the wife =(. I am military and i'll be moving to germany for 3 years May next year. So i'm going to have to sell all my stuff before i leave. Unless I can find a way to store it for 3 years. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks!

I am sure someone here will " store it for you" :D:D

We purchased a used one a few years ago for basicaly same reason you are looking and it has been a good investment so far.
Simple cheap ideas can be quickly turned into expensive ones buy adding just a bit here and just a bit there ( I am a pro at it) but there are two features that really expand the usefullness for a skid steer that you should consider. One is the standard quick tach, the other is third valve.

Ours is a 2040 Mustang diesel that we managed to steal at an auction for $4000.00 Now have forks, grapple bucket and a upside down splter attchments beside the bucket. Its like having an extra arm.

A trailer to move it will cost $ 1500 used to $4k new, most of the insurance companies do not want anything to do with surge brakes on trailer so that means electric for both axles, just a tip if looking at used ones. Pintel hitch is easier to use than 2-5/16 ball also. Total load weight might be over what a 1/2ton PU can handle by regulations. Depends a bit on how persnickity the LEO's are in your area.

I agree with you, I already have a trailer and my plan was to take the skidsteer on site and make several runs then drive the skidsteer back. I have a f250 converted dually with a 460 in it.

Last edited:
Well I went to take a look and it looks great. All hoses are new and even the engine block was repainted. I didn't notice any leaks... question is;can it handle a full log?

Neighbor of mine has the same rig, uses it mostly for scrapping and keeping his driveway plowed in the winter. It's a little on the small side, but it'd take a good sized log to stop it. Most "normal" sized firewood, 8-12' lengths should be no problem at all.

If it doesn't already have it, swap a Flamethrower electronic ignition module in it. Those old Ford gassers are notorious for having weak ignitions that make em hard to start.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it. I'm sure you can find a temporary home for it while you're overseas. Thanks for serving, BTW!

362 bobcat is rated at 1000lbs lift with 2100 tipping point. You should have no problem lifting singe logs with it. Machine only weighs 3900 lbs so trailering should be no problem.

Hello,
I bought a used 2007 New Holland L170 in 2010 basically to plow my lane in the winter. However, it is the best firewooding tool that I own.....I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread !!!!! If you get a tree hung up in another one, no problem, just chain it up and yank it down. Once the tree is down, now you can use the bucket to lift it off the ground so you can buck it to lenghts. No more using a jack to get it up out of the dirt. Then when it's bucked in lenghts, you have the world's most expensive wheelbarrow to use. Just load up the bucket, take it to where you keep your cut wood and dump.....no more unloading by hand. I love mine and wouldn't know now how to act without it !!!! Good luck !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Think a skidsteer is great for woodcutting. Don't see it often in the woodcutting business here in Belgium. And the with the prices they are going for, you can better buy an old David Brown or Ford with a front loader. Too bad because skidsteers are awesome to drive! Would buy it if you think it's worth the price!

That's a good price and a good machine. Buddies dad has that model and we use it for firewood at times if the S185 is doing something different or broken. You will find a lot of uses for it besides firewood, that for sure!

Buddies dad has a high torque starter from Napa that is awesome!

I have a 943 bobcat and is great for wood as long as the ground is hard and level. Seen guys not familiar with its center of gravity tip them over, so practice with a full load to get use to the tipping, Mine is good size and rated for 2400 lbs lifting capacity but will do much more. Debated about buying tracks to go over the wheels but do not want to stress the drives.

A wheeled skid steer is definitely a useful machine, but if you want to work on all terrains in all conditions you won't beat a tracked skid steer (compact track loader). Suspended tracks will also improve traction and most importantly improve the ride.

Back