This 066 Grenaded........What The Hell Happened???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, in my expierence, it has little effect on the tune, almost none, although I'm just going off tach readings, after mixing 50:1,40:1 and 32:1 and running it, dumping it and a new blend and firing up again, less than 150 rpm from 50 to 32:1, it's amazing what you try on a slow day. We did it with a old 025 that had 155 lbs of compression.

I conducted a similar comparison this week, I find a small increase on the high side was needed using 32:1 mix (about 1/8 of a turn open) to get back to the sweet spot 50:1 was running well at. This thread is an eye opener, well done guys!

I'm just now getting around to looking at the thread. I have read all about the oil and such however I think a few things should be pointed out. As soon as I saw the piston pictures I immediately thought the same thing I did every time I saw a race engine looking like that in the old days, "been a little monkey with a sledgehammer in there!" Well then I look over at Randy's avatar . . .
Hmmmmmmmmmm

OK, I couldn't resist stepping through a door that wide open! :D :D :D

What I really wanted to know was what national chains or people that are likely to be here in Louisiana stock the Belray H1R? I need to lock into one brand of oil and stay with it. I happen to have a pretty big Polaris dealer nearby, never actually been in there. Would they have some or an oil of the same quality ratings? Smarting from an e-bay purchase right now but I did know about the shipping upfront. $12.50 for the item, $12.00 to ship and it was a small item! Scart to find out what they charge for shipping oil.

Edit: Just found the shipping charge from the vender you provided a link to. Free shipping, always nice!

Hu

Last edited:
Interesting thread ! Been doing 40-1 stihl ultra . Looks like 32-1 will be my next mix .
I use nonethanol gas , but I do have a question about HR1 . What is it that makes it incompatible with etanol gas ?

Interesting thread ! Been doing 40-1 stihl ultra . Looks like 32-1 will be my next mix .
I use nonethanol gas , but I do have a question about HR1 . What is it that makes it incompatible with etanol gas ?

I have an inquiry in to Bel-Ray right now that may shed some light on this. H1R is a 100% ester based oil. Pretty sure that the other "synthetic" Bel-Ray oils are going to turn out to be highly refined mineral oil which can also be labeled synthetic.

If you look at the "Sir Tech" FAQ type area about halfway or so down page four somebody asks what two cycle oil will mix with the E-85 and methanol. According to Sir Tech none of the Bel-Ray oils will mix with E-85 but they also say that all of their two cycle oils will mix with 10% ethanol. They don't exclude the H1R in that answer.

Hu

Funny I posted a reply to a thread about a week ago saying I learned the 32:1 was a good idea and its easy to mix from Randy and somebody here labeled it "dumb"...:dizzy:...oh well:D

i have not read the bottles ,will the stihl ultra mix with the h1r ?is it the same base ?,i know the castor wont mix with some others like the 927 maxima i used to run

Have always run Husky's oil @ 40:1 and my '94 262xp cylinder looks almost new. I'd rather breathe 40:1 than 32:1. Used to use 30:1 on the old lombard with standard 30W motor oil - that thing is still run-able.

fictional heat is no problem, frictional heat is the rub.

Bored, stuck at work with all this snow. Is a high compression saw that seems to idle lean a problem??? Should one richen it up a tad or is it too late???

As Lakeside said, saws should idle a little high, but a lean sounding idle/high is a problem?

Last edited:
This is what will happen a lot if they replace E-10 with E-15 and people use it in their saws, or any 2 stroke engine for that matter.

fictional heat is no problem, frictional heat is the rub.

Bored, stuck at work with all this snow. Is a high compression saw that seems to idle lean a problem??? Should one richen it up a tad or is it too late???

As Lakeside said, saws should idle a little high, but a lean sounding idle/high is a problem?

A lean low side normally makes for a saw that comes off rpm back to idle slowly......with a tinny sound. I like em fat and sassy...

Idles down fine, not like when it is low on fuel. It is 390xp with 210psi compression, runs well but does seem to race just a hair at idle. I will fatten it up. Was cranking 14,500 rpm when I got it and I left it that way, it is ported.

That one and the ported 346xp make a great 2 saw plan.

....oh yeah, back to the thread, I run 32:1 H1R and I do not notice any odor. Stihl ultra smells bad to me. E-free for me also.

If you're looking for options, consider the following. They are all full synthetic, ester based oils. I'm sure there are more.

Belray H1-R
Maxima K2
Klotz R-50
Motul 800 2T
This is what will happen a lot if they replace E-10 with E-15 and people use it in their saws, or any 2 stroke engine for that matter.
E15 is not good, but it's not going to cause crank failures.

Latest posts

Back