This 066 Grenaded........What The Hell Happened???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, do you think the smaller rod bearing on the early 066 could have been a factor? Also, IIRC, there was a crank change even within the old metal flywheel saws. I believe the size of the big end rod bearing was increased. I forget if it was made even bigger when the poly flywheel came out. If you've done numerous other metal flywheel saws, that even further confirms your findings.

I can see where M-tronic/Autotune would come in handy here. No re-tuning. For my manual carb saws, I'm guessing that a 1/4 turn more (CCW) on the H screw from 50:1 tuning w/Stihl Ultra would be a good place to start when going to 40:1 w/ H1R on my stock saws? Got a Tiny Tach, which seems accurate enough. Another question: does Belray H1R contain a fuel stabilizer? Thanks.
Bel ray does not appear to have a stabilizer. Going from 50 to 40 will require a small richening of the carb, but I never feel comfortable telling people how much to turn a screw.

Playing devils advocate: belray smells terrible and is unpleasant for me to use on a calm day. I would bet that any quality oil at 40 or more will lubricate properly

Bel ray does not appear to have a stabilizer. Going from 50 to 40 will require a small richening of the carb, but I never feel comfortable telling people how much to turn a screw.

Playing devils advocate: belray smells terrible and is unpleasant for me to use on a calm day. I would bet that any quality oil at 40 or more will lubricate properly

The Bel-Ray does have a bit of a smell to it. I don't notice it with chainsaws as bad, but get that stuff in a cutoff-demo saw down in a ditch and it will choke ya to death! Ultra will choke ya up too but it's good oil. The Maxima K2 isn't near as bad on the smell in my little opinion :D.

I agree on the 40:1 or more too. We run orange bottle stihl oil for years and years at 40:1 and had good luck too.

Any suggestions as to how much the carb needs be richened. Seems to me that creating a leaner condition with 32:1 could be just as deadly as too little oil, without some kind of carb adjustment. Don't think guessing is a very wise idea on my part. I value my ported 346 too much.

Any suggestions as to how much the carb needs be richened?

Turn it ccw a half turn and see if it four strokes like it should out of the cut. If it 4 strokes in the cut go a little CW, if it doesn't 4 stroke a bunch at wot out of the cut go ccw until it does. I like mine to 4 stroke as soon as I'm off load

I use to always run husky oil as it was easy to get at Lowe's. I always mixed at 40:1 then ordered some Bailey's full syn oil and mixed my last 2 gallons @50:1 and after reading this thread and the respect I have developed for Randy and brad from lurking I am going back to 40:1 maybe even test some at 32:1.

Thanks for the thread

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Got enough Stihl Ultra to mix 32 gals. @ 40:1, but wasn't sure of my tuning skills until I spent some time with the tach today. Belray H1R is available locally and tends to be less expensive than Ultra.

Back