This could have been a lot worse.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
That could have been much worse. You are a lucky guy.
Bummer about the ruined boot.

The boot may be wrecked but it did what it was designed to do ~ protect your foot. I'm glad that guide bar didn't come any closer than it did.

I realize that you were doing storm cleanup,
but I think it still relates because of the crossed up
and messy stuff you have to work with.

This is what I hate about recutting
something that someone else has dropped
and cut into semi random lengths,
then tossed in a pile.

even if you spend a lot of time re handling the wood
and setting up those little cuts,
you can still leave spots to get yourself into this.

was just recently recutting some stuff and grumbling to myself
about the tripled work in it
and the (strato engine) saw loading up from trying to run it at low revs
to reduce the energy in any kickbacks.

...makes for an easy situation to get tired and impatient
and then get the bar/chain in an across yourself position.

all that said, Good to see it wasn't worse for your foot!!

Last edited:
Get that boot sewen up, then every time you wear it you will be reminded

by the patch and it will be a good safety conversation starter with folks who see it.

Again, A FAST moving chain is LESS likely to kick back or pull the saw forward than a slow moving one. That may be the reason most of these things happen so unexpectedly.

I was too embarrassed to post mine. Good on you! Mine was late, loosing the light, tired, barely nicked the off toe of my new Red Wings. Scared me good, made me feel stupid. No injury or even serious damage to the boot. Just that split second of lost focus...

I was too embarrassed to post mine. Good on you! Mine was late, loosing the light, tired, barely nicked the off toe of my new Red Wings. Scared me good, made me feel stupid. No injury or even serious damage to the boot. Just that split second of lost focus...

Mine was a surprise as I didn't even know I had done it until I pulled my boots off and saw the neatest little slice taken out of the toe. Didn't go all the way through.

Harry K

had to think about myself for a moment, but I think I drifted down on the chain speed
from the small, limby gnarly stuff that tended to want to flip a derailment.
It just seemed (to me at least) to ding up the drives worse and sling the chain into the cases
with the higher revs.

That said,
I've actually picked up a long handled pair of pruning shears since then,
So may just have to revisit my old thinking and methods to see what I'm comfortable with now.

Back