This is how some people feel about ported saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. The viewpoint is only reasonable if you think that every engineer from every company has the latitude to do his best work. There are more than a couple of engineers in my immediate and extended family. Latitude is a commodity in short supply. In my personal line of work, (self employed) I can engineer the moon, but then I have to sell it. 30 years of doing stuff and salesmanship is still a PITA. Especially when the regular old stuff is easy to sell, and cheaper.

Just about every GD machine I own is at least not quite "stock", yet better.

Troof!

I disagree. The viewpoint is only reasonable if you think that every engineer from every company has the latitude to do his best work. There are more than a couple of engineers in my immediate and extended family. Latitude is a commodity in short supply. In my personal line of work, (self employed) I can engineer the moon, but then I have to sell it. 30 years of doing stuff and salesmanship is still a PITA. Especially when the regular old stuff is easy to sell, and cheaper.

Just about every GD machine I own is at least not quite "stock", yet better.
As an engineer who designs products, and a guy who likes to port saws, I still find it reasonable for a company or individual to decide to use only stock saws. I would only buy a ported saw if I knew the work had been done by a couple of individuals, and even then it would depend on the model. And I would never sell one of my modified saws, as I know what real product development entails and I know I have not done it.

Certainly not every product design is equally good - doing a better job than the competition is what puts food on my table. All designs are compromises that must meet a whole lot of often competing requirements and constraints, many of which a particular operator may not care about - and this is where the opportunity for performance mods mainly comes from in that those uninteresting constraints can be discarded. So one can increase noise and emissions and fuel use for more power.

Still, by the time a saw makes it to market it has been through a lot of testing for durability and safety, etc. That's simply out of the realm of possibility for the small shop porter. The design and development resources of a saw manufacturer are so vastly greater than any porter will have.

Regardless of that though, there's no excuse for acting the way the guy did, although it is so common in the US any more.

I have Been getting awesome emails from a guy that wanted a saw of mine ms 441 ported buy miller this all the emails i have got

buyer: no thanks. thats just way overpriced mayby in a few months you will realize this if you want to sell let me know.

Me: Haha you keep dreaming buddy cost me 300 to just get it ported let alone stock. You go get one from a dealer and let me no how that goes.

Buyer: liar. changing the muffler costs 50 you can take that ****** muffler off as its hard on the unit and stock is best do you really think people are so stupid that they would believe a lie like that? you are one dumb usless stupid **** head. now **** off and lie to someone else

me:glad to put the stock muffler on but, the saws still going to be ported because porting in all done on the piston and cylinder . carry on next time don't **** with a logger .He might cut trees for a living and know what he is talk about. (fyi google woods ported chainsaw you might learn something ).

buyer: i wont buy this shitbox that has been ****ed up by stupid yew i have three of these saws already
they run and cut as the engineers said so not some dumb usless ****head no one wants a ****ed up saw that blows up shortly you retarded ****
i wont buy anything that isnt stock cause i want it to work like the engineers designed it to not like some retard reject from society thats you
NOW ****
PUT IN THE ADD ****ED UP THE SAW
****ED WITH THE PISTON NOW ITS ****ED

Me: did not respond

buyer : YOU ARE SO SMART. why even botherm getting an engineer in antyhing.
buy that car that stupid designed and get scmushed

buyer:
i want to come by and try out the saw. to be clear i will blow it up. u need to learn not to **** with it
Best one in a good while :ices_rofl:

Did that **** suckin' piece of **** you call a saw blow up yet? Why am I asking you, you're such a ****en' liar! Why don't you get a life..how was our conversation any different than all those other sorry pieces of **** Canadians you talked too? Why you comming on here insisting on misleading these sorry saps. Thats how we talk to eack other in Canada. If i'm going to have a sore head its from listening to your retardnes. Oh I see, your a sel out.
What self ****en' respecting Canadian ever said words like;
-Ink pen
-soda pop
-hot tea
-full skip
-woods port
50% of the 10 words are redundant and can be better used for words like **** **** *** wipe ******** and EH
Man you realy got to learn to leave things alone.

Did that **** suckin' piece of **** you call a saw blow up yet? Why am I asking you, you're suck a ****en' liar! Why don't you get a life..how was our conversation any different than all those other sorry pieces of **** Canadians you talked too? Why you comming on here insisting on misleading these sorry saps. Thats how we talk to eack other in Canada. If i'm going to have a sore head its from listening to your retardnes. Oh I see, your a sel out.
What self ****en' respecting Canadian ever said words like;
-Ink pen
-soda pop
-hot tea
-woods port
"50% of the 8 words are redundant and can be better used for words like **** **** *** wipe ******** and EH
Man you realy got to learn to leave thing alone.
I think your trolling and should be reported :rolleyes:

To many swear words
Well little Billy..would it make you feel better if you knew I memerized the amount of letters in the bad words and just typed the stars in the appropriate places..cuz thats what I did.

...got to read the first page man.
You see,I was pretending to be the
"Buyer" You are just mad at the "buyer" you are not at mad at me

As an engineer who designs products, and a guy who likes to port saws, I still find it reasonable for a company or individual to decide to use only stock saws. I would only buy a ported saw if I knew the work had been done by a couple of individuals, and even then it would depend on the model. And I would never sell one of my modified saws, as I know what real product development entails and I know I have not done it.

Certainly not every product design is equally good - doing a better job than the competition is what puts food on my table. All designs are compromises that must meet a whole lot of often competing requirements and constraints, many of which a particular operator may not care about - and this is where the opportunity for performance mods mainly comes from in that those uninteresting constraints can be discarded. So one can increase noise and emissions and fuel use for more power.

Still, by the time a saw makes it to market it has been through a lot of testing for durability and safety, etc. That's simply out of the realm of possibility for the small shop porter. The design and development resources of a saw manufacturer are so vastly greater than any porter will have.

Regardless of that though, there's no excuse for acting the way the guy did, although it is so common in the US any more.

Well said Chris as a Mechanical and Electrical engineer I look at the big picture how things are assembled from bearing that are designed for a specific amount of force to the design of RPM. Than I see Mastermimd and his saws and all that goes Out the window, being a Harley guy Shovel-heads forever I have learned that things can improve with huge gains, manufactures want the 60-80 percent of capapilities some of the builders on here find those lost percentages.

Latest posts

Back