this mornings 084 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
when i got my 084 it only had the inside dawg. i decided after seeing other pics of 084s with theyre dual dawgs that they just plain look mean and are just the right size.

so im fabbing a outside dog useing the inside as template. i also found out both the inside and outside are exact copies of eachother. anyways heres what i have so far. it isnt perfect but will look much better cleaned up and mounted.
attachment.php

its still just hair over size

13 wow

attachment.php

attachment.php

need to get paint and do the dogs and muffler, muffler is so rusted i could barely weld it after cleaning with the wire brush on the grinder.

Very nice.

Take it to a welding shop and have them heat it red with a hotwrench, then drop it into a can of old motor oil. You'll be good to go.

thanks

heres a few pics

i have torch and may heat temper it later. im going to bolt a bushing between the two dawgs to give them some strenght

attachment.php

026 has 18" bar kinda gives some perspective on how massive the 084 is
attachment.php

did some more sanding on the orange, im getn tempted to clear it but i just cant bring myself to this looks tons better then when i got it

Evan, if you cut that spike out of mild steel, it won't take a harden like you think. Modern mild steel does harden more than mild steel of 30 years ago, but not much.

If you do heat it... Get it up to around an orange heat, or a dark yellow and hold it there for a few minutes... Then quench it in warm water... Oil isn't necessary.

metals

thanks for the tip, its just 1/8" mild steel. nothing special about it, much much stronger then the husky factory dawgs.

thanks

heres a few pics

i have torch and may heat temper it later. im going to bolt a bushing between the two dawgs to give them some strenght

attachment.php

026 has 18" bar kinda gives some perspective on how massive the 084 is
It looks like a big fish getting ready to swallow a little one.

A roller chain catch is what you need, you could easily make one, or buy one, their under 5 bucks at the dealer.

:censored:, this your 13th 084 thread.
Don't hate, Appreciate!:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Looking good, Is that the one you posted about a while back that you found in the bone pile at you local saw shop? Either way nice saw. Now you just need to find some huge old growth cedar to kill with it! Preferably on Forest Circus ground.

Evan, if you cut that spike out of mild steel, it won't take a harden like you think. Modern mild steel does harden more than mild steel of 30 years ago, but not much.

If you do heat it... Get it up to around an orange heat, or a dark yellow and hold it there for a few minutes... Then quench it in warm water... Oil isn't necessary.

Seconded, mild steel is pretty much non hardening as it doesn't contain enough carbon.

Latest posts

Back