This was pretty funny to read on a Monday mornin'...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just checking out craigslist "free" section as I often do and came upon this:https://cleveland.craigslist.org/zip/5819318071.html

Free Fire wood (Oakwood Village) hide this posting
image 1 of 4
00h0h_a7LS5mNJWF1_600x450.jpg

Large Oak tree ..cut into several pieces , but they are by no means "manageable" you will need a 30inch Bar & chainsaw. way too heavy to lift or move. they will need to be cut smaller into quarters (1/4). If you can cut them , I can help load them .

I've read some emails and had to re-edit this post . let me be very clear ! ...due to the terrain of the yard , you cannot just back a truck up to the wood. you cannot use a "Dolly" , you cannot use a "Wheel barrow" just one of these chunks probably weigh close to 500lbs and they will never even "FIT" in a wheel Barrow. it would literally take a crane to lift one onto a flatbed . "THEY NEED TO BE CUT SMALLER" with a proper size chainsaw....No Axe ..No Maul , No Dynamite , No Black Powder AND No we are not going to hook it to some monster truck with a chain and drag them out of my yard !

This wood is for people with the time and effort and proper saw to come in ...cut the **** , I will help load the ****... and then they can be on their Merry way !

Had to laugh out loud on this one:p Thing is those rounds really ARE capable of being split with a maul if you know what you're doing. I've busted many a huge oak round with a maul when I'm out in the field and I'm sure many of you guys have as well. The tool is only as efficient as the tool user;) Have a good day ladies and gents and be safe out there!

A guy would have to be pretty desperate to clean up a yard for free.

That is pretty funny. Obviously he has gotten the run around from a few folks looking for an easy scrounge and doesn't want to deal with any more of them.

Certainly a sledge and wedge could bust them up or it would be a fun noodling project.

That is pretty funny. Obviously he has gotten the run around from a few folks looking for an easy scrounge and doesn't want to deal with any more of them.

Certainly a sledge and wedge could bust them up or it would be a fun noodling project.
no wheelbarrow??? he could kma...........

I'm curious what type of responses caused him to update the listing.

A few years back I had to get rid of a mobile home. Posted a "free" ad on Craigslist and holy moly you should have seen the strange questions and colorful responses (complete with intended plans for repurposing this trailer) that I received. After 42 responses in 12 hours I pulled the ad and responded the the three folks who most seeemed to understand the challenges involved with extracting the trailer. One of them responded and after planning out the extraction took it.

I'm curious what type of responses caused him to update the listing.

A few years back I had to get rid of a mobile home. Posted a "free" ad on Craigslist and holy moly you should have seen the strange questions and colorful responses (complete with intended plans for repurposing this trailer) that I received. After 42 responses in 12 hours I pulled the ad and responded the the three folks who most seeemed to understand the challenges involved with extracting the trailer. One of them responded and after planning out the extraction took it.

I had that exact experience. I was blown away by how many people wanted a junk trailer.

That does look like oak to me, and it'd be nice firewood. If a guy had a skid steer or small tractor and the property owner would let you drive back there, it looks like a pretty easy score to me. Hard to believe that no one jumped on that one.

Anything listed as "Free Wood" around here is usually a brush pile with nothing over 4" in diameter and lots of leaves. I always love how they write "must take it all" in the ad. Good luck with that, guys!

Have to be a sorry weak brains slug not to be able to split that stuff with a sledge and wedge.
Also see no problem with using my lawn tractor and pulling my splitter to the wood. Split the wood and use my lawn tractor and cart to haul wood to truck.

:D Al

Have to be a sorry weak brains slug not to be able to split that stuff with a sledge and wedge.
Also see no problem with using my lawn tractor and pulling my splitter to the wood. Split the wood and use my lawn tractor and cart to haul wood to truck.

I scored a hydrostatic Craftsman for $50 from a lawn and garden shop. Fuel lines and battery. Bolted receiver to back. Awesome for moving splitter and wood.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I had that exact experience. I was blown away by how many people wanted a junk trailer.

That does look like oak to me, and it'd be nice firewood. If a guy had a skid steer or small tractor and the property owner would let you drive back there, it looks like a pretty easy score to me. Hard to believe that no one jumped on that one.

Anything listed as "Free Wood" around here is usually a brush pile with nothing over 4" in diameter and lots of leaves. I always love how they write "must take it all" in the ad. Good luck with that, guys!
he said,,not even a wheelbarrow!!!!!

not even a wheelbarrow al,,all by hand to truck on pavement.

A guy would have to be pretty desperate to clean up a yard for free.

Maybe, but where are people who need firewood going to get firewood if they don't have the land to cut their own? Even if I had my own land I would still scrounge free firewood to preserve my own property and to prevent the "free" wood from going to waste.

Maybe, but where are people who need firewood going to get firewood if they don't have the land to cut their own? Even if I had my own land I would still scrounge free firewood to preserve my own property and to prevent the "free" wood from going to waste.
when I was farrrrr younger,,id scrounge anything..since ive made MANY conatcts over the years,,not no mo.........

when I was farrrrr younger,,id scrounge anything..since ive made MANY conatcts over the years,,not no mo.........
It is amazing how if you do scrounge and do it right (show up and actually do what you claim you will do) that as time goes on you get so many scrounges, you can start to say no to the ones where you have to work a little harder then laugh because you know 20 years ago you would be all over ones you let go by.

I am starting to get lots of scrounge offers but have not yet had many "I have an old chainsaw you can take if you want" offers...yet.

I know, right?

Here is how it goes, "Hey Hinerman, I got some trees that blew over in the last storm, do you want them before I push them in a pile and burn them?"

I am cutting up blow downs right now in a man's pasture---big red oaks (24-36") and some white oak and pecan also. He called me and asked if somebody else could cut. I said "Yes, save me the first big oak you showed me and give them the rest". Next time I go out he comes up to me and says, "They are all yours, the other guy came out, cut a load, and wanted to get paid so he is not coming back." My point is, this land owner is not paying me or anybody else, he will push them up and burn them or let them rot.

One thing I don't do is haul off limbs and brush, I leave them or stack them out of my way. If they want that done I tell them I will have to charge. I take the firewood only, usually 4" and bigger.

It is amazing how if you do scrounge and do it right (show up and actually do what you claim you will do) that as time goes on you get so many scrounges, you can start to say no to the ones where you have to work a little harder then laugh because you know 20 years ago you would be all over ones you let go by.

Yep, I have built such a reference list in the county over 40 years dthat about all I have to do when I see wood I want is knock and say who I am. I treat every score as if the land is mine and leave it neat and clean with nothing but a brushpile and I return to burn that in season if they want me to.

Of course I am retired so time spent cleaning up is no loss - tends to keep the fitness level above couch potatol

Latest posts

Back