This Week's Firewood Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Even though it has been very hot this week I have been working up a big white oak at my FIL's house. This was dropped by the power company, and was struck by lightning last year. I got a chance to use most of my saws, 660, 441R-CM, 361,261 and the 211. Here are a couple of pictures, should finish it this weekView attachment 247936View attachment 247937

Cool. And you get to play with all your toys in the process. It don't get any better than that.
Be careful in the heat.

Even though it has been very hot this week I have been working up a big white oak at my FIL's house. This was dropped by the power company, and was struck by lightning last year. I got a chance to use most of my saws, 660, 441R-CM, 361,261 and the 211. Here are a couple of pictures, should finish it this week

I broke a sweat just looking at that.

247936d1344505309-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344505292-444879-jpg

That looks like a job! But you sure have the tools to get it done.

What is the diameter of that stump?

Great score

Looks good! Not much brush there to handle and lots of wood. Sent you a rep too. :msp_biggrin:

It was 37" dbh. I work on it in the morning hours. I leave it alone when it gets really hot. I chunked up more rounds with the 660 and noodled with the 441R CM. I really love the 441, smooth with lots of power

Steve

That butt end looks like a bear to split. Doesn't the power co chip all the brush when the drop trees out there?

Not in this case, it was a iffy deal. I think they done him a big favor by dropping it. I have got 4 tandem trailer loads of wood so far. Not hauled any of the big rounds yet, that's tomorrow's job

I finished the tree up Friday as planned, 6 trailer loads of wood total. 2 loads were the big pieces from the trunk I noodled up. Now for some quality time with the hydraulic splitter. I checked it with my moisture meter and most chunks were running 13 to 15%. View attachment 248234View attachment 248235

bet those big pieces of trunk will split easier by hand than trying to wrestle them onto the splitter. i love straight grained oak stems and my fiskers!

as for the guy pooping in your thread...blah. free wood = score!

bet those big pieces of trunk will split easier by hand than trying to wrestle them onto the splitter. i love straight grained oak stems and my fiskers!

I was right with that until we got to the part about the Fiskars. Those suckers would be going on my splitter.
I get all the exercise I need doing that. Hardly break a sweat.

as for the guy pooping in your thread...blah. free wood = score!

Absolutely!

Nice job, and a great score! :clap::clap::clap:

If all firewood scores were that easy more people would heat with wood. :)

Doug

This was kind of my point, Gentlemen.

The free wood he got was simply so easy- it lowers the bar of "Score".

I've got a few square miles of trees around me, and I only get after blowdowns and damage, (at least I don't have plans to clear any more land) so in essence, I could run around after every weekend and post a new Score....

Do I get to claim a score if I buck it and round it and split it without it touching the ground?

Never mind, I guess firewood scores are only for folks who don't have their own trees?

I prolly don't qualify anyway, my fires are generally out doors.

I finished the tree up Friday as planned, 6 trailer loads of wood total. 2 loads were the big pieces from the trunk I noodled up. Now for some quality time with the hydraulic splitter. I checked it with my moisture meter and most chunks were running 13 to 15%. View attachment 248234View attachment 248235

Looks good. Always good to keep the stumps low, Keeps everyone happy when there low. Rep sent.

Never mind, I guess firewood scores are only for folks who don't have their own trees?

I prolly don't qualify anyway, my fires are generally out doors.

If it's free, I'd call it a score, regardless of the source. In my book you'd qualify. Unless you're burning it
just to dispose of it, it's fire wood. During decent weather we cook outdoors a lot. The fire ring is a good
place to make use of the wood that won't in the stove. It's still fire wood. But then, that's just my opinion.
I'm sure someone would disagree.

Back