Thought it was Hype

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Even though I trust the opinions of many of the members here, I thought a lot of the reviews on the Fiskars X27 were suspect. How could it be different or better than anything else out there? A splitting maul or ax is a pretty simple tool. Found a few at my local Wal Mart of all places and decided to try one out today for a few hours. Holy cow!:clap: On wood without a ton of knots I could outpace my hydraulic for sure, and even with the knotty stuff if I was careful and picked my strikes I could still keep up the speed. More importantly it was fun to read the wood again and good exercise.

Congrats man!

If there was one thing I would do different with a new Fiskars, a do over for me, I would get a can of spray lube and spray it down before every session. This will help keep the teflon coating from wearing off.

Even though I trust the opinions of many of the members here, I thought a lot of the reviews on the Fiskars X27 were suspect. How could it be different or better than anything else out there? A splitting maul or ax is a pretty simple tool. Found a few at my local Wal Mart of all places and decided to try one out today for a few hours. Holy cow!:clap: On wood without a ton of knots I could outpace my hydraulic for sure, and even with the knotty stuff if I was careful and picked my strikes I could still keep up the speed. More importantly it was fun to read the wood again and good exercise.

Awesome. I ordered one last week and it was delivered to my cabin yesterday. Heading up tonight and can't wait to test it out, even more after hearing another great report.

While the hydraulic is nice to have for those big and knarly pieces, it amazes me how much I still like to enjoy splitting by hand in the fall.

The x27 Kool-Aid is DELICIOUS!!!!

I bought one last week and am loving it.

When I put a round or two inside a tire, I feel like I'm playing Whack-a-Mole.

I bucked an oak this morning and the larger rounds were exploding at the touch of the x27.

i was drawn in by the hype.....
bought one and love it.

It's pretty impressive for weight/effort compared to result/affect.

get the sharpener to go with it, touch it up every so often and it's like new all over again.
a coat of teflon spray after every touch up will help a lot also.

p.s. always split over something, it will find the ground quickly. (even quicker after a fresh sharpening of course)

Congrats man!

If there was one thing I would do different with a new Fiskars, a do over for me, I would get a can of spray lube and spray it down before every session. This will help keep the teflon coating from wearing off.

If you have Teflon left on the X27, it hasn't been used much.:msp_rolleyes:

Both of mine have been as shiny as a mouldboard plow for a long time.

I thought it was too light to be effective, but I thunk wrong.

There is something peaceful about splitting by hand. I like to get a rhythm going. And I swear I can hear my Grandpa sometimes, "no, hit it right THERE"

I have to agree, in 2 years I'm over 10 cords with my X27. It's hard to improve on simple tool, but Fiskers nailed it. Just the occasional touch up with my raker file to take out any nicks and it's good to go.

I have one and it's a great splitting tool. I wouldn't say it's more effective than a standard maul, but it is much lighter. So, you won't get tired as quickly.

One thing though, make sure you're splitting on a stump or block. They don't like dirt at all. Regular mauls are pretty forgiving, but these will chip pretty easily.

I have one and it's a great splitting tool. I wouldn't say it's more effective than a standard maul, but it is much lighter. So, you won't get tired as quickly.

One thing though, make sure you're splitting on a stump or block. They don't like dirt at all. Regular mauls are pretty forgiving, but these will chip pretty easily.

i will second this. I bought one from amazon.com. it showed up today. took it to 6 dry dry dry locust rounds did well except through the crotch. then i took it to some green oak. maybe my expectations were too high. i thought i was getting a magic firewood tool. it's nice, but not much better if at all better than a maul.

i will second this. I bought one from amazon.com. it showed up today. took it to 6 dry dry dry locust rounds did well except through the crotch. then i took it to some green oak. maybe my expectations were too high. i thought i was getting a magic firewood tool. it's nice, but not much better if at all better than a maul.

See, I had the opposite reaction, to me, when I first got mine it was a huge improvement over a maul. I also noticed really quickly if you swing it and use it like a maul it isn't nearly as good. Two different techniques here, two different tools. I "grokked" it pretty quick.

I think a lot of it is, I am a pretty small human, neogeezer with a pretty much shot to heck back. not near as strong and certainly not near the beef compared to what most of you guys are packing. I have to concentrate on speed and technique over brute force, and the fiskars shines when used that way.

There is a reason I call regular mauls anvils on a stick, that's what they feel like to me. ya, I can swing them, but they suck. I use mine when I really have to, but more like just using the maul head as a wedge, swing, stick it in, then bang it through with the sledge. Only on really gnarly stuff, everything else either fiskars or noodled.

Yes please do put a round or cookie underneath. The thought of any edge (maul, Fiskars, axe, chain, knife,...whatever) getting run into the ground makes me cringe. I didn't know splitting on the ground was common until I joined here.

I started out with the 4.5# True Temper splitting axe, and I pulled many a muscle swinging that thing. I do keep it around for tougher wood since I can also nail it with a sledge hammer. But I only resort to that after I use the X27.

When I purchased the X27, it was so much easier to swing, and so much lighter. I don't know the actual weight of the X27 but I do know it was a lot easier to swing and actually slit wood without much difficulty. I also tend to split 99% of my wood green and generally within hours of felling the tree. I've used it on Red Maple, Red, White, and Black Oak, Black Birch, Black Locust, White Pine, and Yellow Poplar. To date, I have about 8 cord split with the X27 and about 4 cord split with the Ames True Temper Splitting Axe.

What I lack in strength is easily made up for with the X27.

Back