Thoughts on best chain for MS362?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justlearning

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, thanks for offering your opinions.

I've recently added a Stihl MS 362 to my collection. So far I've only had Stihl saws (290 and 079) and have always used Stihl chains. I am frustrated with the 3/8' RSC3 low kickback chain that came with the saw and would like to replace it with something that will offer better performance. I'm hoping to get away from low-kickback chain. I've been cutting for better than twelve years and feel that chaps, experience, and common sense allow me to move to a more aggressive chain.

Most of my cutting is for firewood, so most wood is on the ground, sometimes pretty dirty. Species-wise I tend to cut lots of Locust, Elm, Ash, Maple, and some Oak and Box Elder.

I'm running a 20" bar on this saw and am pretty happy with that length.

Further, I hand file, and am only interested in chains that can be round filed.

Your insights are appreciated!

I would try stihl rs for clean wood or rm for dirty wood or oyu could try lgx oregon.Iwood recomend stihl rm if your cutting firewood and its dirty.you need to know what gage of chain you have so you know which gage to get.

Last edited:
Buy semi-chisel, rmc or bpx. lpx/rsc is for 262XPs and 70cc :greenchainsaw:

I generally run a Stihl RSC, but I recently put an Oregon LGX on the saw, and I have to say that I'm impressed. I've only had it out a couple of times, but it seemes to hold up pretty good, and cuts very smooth. It is a low kick back chain, but it's also a full chisel. I'm running a 036 with .325 0.063 chain on an 18" bar with a 9 pin rim. I cut a lot of white oak, hickory, and ash, as well as some beech and locust.

I'm looking really hard at making my own loops for next year, and unless I can find one heck of a deal on Stihl RSC chain, I'll be buying a real of the LGX.

Mark

I generally run a Stihl RSC, but I recently put an Oregon LGX on the saw, and I have to say that I'm impressed. I've only had it out a couple of times, but it seemes to hold up pretty good, and cuts very smooth. It is a low kick back chain, but it's also a full chisel. I'm running a 036 with .325 0.063 chain on an 18" bar with a 9 pin rim. I cut a lot of white oak, hickory, and ash, as well as some beech and locust.

I'm looking really hard at making my own loops for next year, and unless I can find one heck of a deal on Stihl RSC chain, I'll be buying a real of the LGX.

Mark

My 72LGX is not a low kickback chain, my 20LPX may have a kickback reducing feature but is listed also as not a low kickback chain, at least according to Oregon. REJ2

Maybe I got my letters mixed up again, I'll have to check the package. The chain I have is NOT a saftey chain, but it does have bumpers that reduce its tendancy to kick back. Either way, the chain seems to cut a lot better than I thought it would. Especially since my brother in-law gave it to me. I don't remember if he came across it in a trade, or if he bought the wrong chain at some point. Either way, I'm pleased with it, especailly concidering the cost compaired to a Stihl RSC.

Mark

We had this debate here a year ago. Consensus seemed: RMC for dirty wood, RSC for clean wood. You probably won't notice much difference in cuts times for firewood, but the RMC should stay sharper longer. Of course, it depends on whether dirt means what dirt is lodged in the bark or running the bar tip into the dirt. If its the latter, then both chains will go dull equally fast.

I recently switched from buying Oregon chains to Carlton. My new saw had a Low Kickback Stihl chain on it, and I had a Carlton made to replace it. The Carltons seem to last longer between sharpenings.

My 72LGX is not a low kickback chain, my 20LPX may have a kickback reducing feature but is listed also as not a low kickback chain, at least according to Oregon. REJ2

Right! :cheers:

The kickback reducing feature of the LG/LGX/RS/RSC/RM/RMC and many other is a much larger (and ramped) raker than the LP/LPX/BPX etc have. It is just two different ways to do the same thing - the "security" level is the same!

Latest posts

Back