Thoughts on cheap splitter???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbury park

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a homeowner with a fireplace that we use a lot in the winter. Due to the size and design of our house it heats up a good part of the house. I am looking at getting a splitter, but can't afford to shell out a lot of money for one. I would like to split 3-5 cords per year maximum. I have a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe that i use, but splitting has been killing my back. Can't do high volumes of it anymore. Would a lower priced 4-7 ton splitter do the job for me or are they junk?

Woodeze 4-ton Electric Wood Splitter
WoodEze 4-Ton Electric Log Splitter - LS56 | Northline Express

Any thoughts on this?

3-5 per year is about what i split, that being said my 12yr old huskee gas 20-ton has more than paid for itself. Cost me $1000 back in 2000 and I figure every year I split it paid for the heating bill. 12x ahead in my book.

I think the OP would have a hard time splitting some of our gnarly oak and hedge with that electric. FredWright has an electric splitter, but his is basically a gas splitter with an electric motor. It's probably a big step up from the lower priced 4-5 ton units from the big box stores. That's why I was curious about what the OP was splitting, not quantity, but type of wood.

No experience with the small electric splitters. I would assume they have their limits. Might want to rent a splitter and save for a splitter that will fill your future needs. Possibly look for a good used splitter. I would be careful buying the one your looking at without first being able to try it. Buying twice is expensive. Been there more then once in my life. I hear you on the hand splitting. My back would not take it either. Good luck.

No experience with the small electric splitters. I would assume they have their limits. Might want to rent a splitter and save for a splitter that will fill your future needs. Possibly look for a good used splitter. I would be careful buying the one your looking at without first being able to try it. Buying twice is expensive. Been there more then once in my life. I hear you on the hand splitting. My back would not take it either. Good luck.

I would be splitting hardwoods. Primarily oak, maple. I like the renting idea. I'm searching for a rental place around here that has one.

I rent one once a year for a weekend and split all my wood in 2 days. Usually 6 cords or so.

Total cost is under $100.

I think that my 6 ton electric DR splitter would split almost anything STRAIGHT GRAINED. You put a little twist in the grain and the party is over. A couple of draw backs IMO are the length and size of splits you are able to process on these machines. As far as I am concerned they make nice toys for making kindling but if you want to process 4 to 5 cords a year spend a little more and get yourself a hydraulic splitter. Keep in mind I am only talking about my 6 tonner and a higher ton machine may result in much different outcome.

I tend to agree with snotrocket. Renting for a day might be a good, learning option. Reason being is if you do not have experience with using one, it will give you an idea of what works for you or doesn't. Maybe rent from another place the next year or help someone else to give you more options of what you like. This may save you from some regrets in the future. Stockpiling your "to be splits" would allow a one day splitting session.

Several guys around here trade labor. One situation I know of goes like this. Guy who doesn't have a splitter helps the guy with the splitter for 2 days. Guy with splitter, comes over and they split his stuff for one day. Has worked well for them both and just a thought.

I tend to agree with snotrocket. Renting for a day might be a good, learning option. Reason being is if you do not have experience with using one, it will give you an idea of what works for you or doesn't. Maybe rent from another place the next year or help someone else to give you more options of what you like. This may save you from some regrets in the future. Stockpiling your "to be splits" would allow a one day splitting session.

Several guys around here trade labor. One situation I know of goes like this. Guy who doesn't have a splitter helps the guy with the splitter for 2 days. Guy with splitter, comes over and they split his stuff for one day. Has worked well for them both and just a thought.

I rented before, it works but it's a pain sometimes. Not a casual 'I'm going to split for a bit' but a 'I'm paying by the day and I need this stuff done'. I don't like working like that at home, I do it enough at work already.

The trading labor around works, but it seems like I always get the short end of the stick. I helped my cousin a few days ago get 2 truckloads. I brought my SS, a 372XP, 55 Rancher, and Stihl 021. He had a craftsman saw with a dull chain. He's a good guy and I don't mind helping him one bit, but you get the idea. After he realized what was going on he stopped cutting and just kept loading.

I rented before, it works but it's a pain sometimes. Not a casual 'I'm going to split for a bit' but a 'I'm paying by the day and I need this stuff done'. I don't like working like that at home, I do it enough at work already.

The trading labor around works, but it seems like I always get the short end of the stick. I helped my cousin a few days ago get 2 truckloads. I brought my SS, a 372XP, 55 Rancher, and Stihl 021. He had a craftsman saw with a dull chain. He's a good guy and I don't mind helping him one bit, but you get the idea. After he realized what was going on he stopped cutting and just kept loading.

OP said 3- 5 cord so from what we run, that wouldn't be a real hard day. ;) I suggested it just so he could see what works for him or give him an idea of what doesn't. If his back is bothering him, having one on the ground level will show him that isn't a good idea.

The trading labor can be an adventure so you do have to chose wisely who you deal with. I tend to be upfront with what is expected, tends to weed out some of the problems. Family is family and you normally know what your in for! ;)

I use to rent 125$ for a weekend. Made sure all wood was ready to go before splitter was here.Would call in anyone who owned me a favor.would have about 4 to 6 show and we would work are ass off for 2 days and get around 10 cord split and stacked. After a few years of that I went and got a huske 22ton for 899. On sale .makes life so much better. I bring a load home and can work it up no more piles all over the place.

The Home Depot and Lowes sell nice 27 ton models. I inherited one from my father in law that's a few years old and love it. A lot of times they'll offer 12 months same as cash - no interest. If you pay $100/month, in a year it's all but paid for. Just a suggestion. I'm not big on renting/leasing - they wanted $175 to rent one here and, honestly, I'd rather put that into owning.

Last edited:
I own one of those splitters,I picked it up a few years back at a yard sale for $20 .If this were a perfect world and all wood was straight grained it would be fine.Any knots or just plain ole tough wood will stop it dead in its tracks.

As mentioned try renting one if possible until you can save enough to but a good splitter.
Nothing worse than spending money on something only to realize it wont fit your needs.

I'm a homeowner with a fireplace that we use a lot in the winter. Due to the size and design of our house it heats up a good part of the house. I am looking at getting a splitter, but can't afford to shell out a lot of money for one. I would like to split 3-5 cords per year maximum. I have a Gransfors Bruks splitting axe that i use, but splitting has been killing my back. Can't do high volumes of it anymore. Would a lower priced 4-7 ton splitter do the job for me or are they junk?

Woodeze 4-ton Electric Wood Splitter
WoodEze 4-Ton Electric Log Splitter - LS56 | Northline Express

Any thoughts on this?

I had the speeco for a while (5 tn). They work good for what they were designed for, you just have to keep in mind their limitations. As said, straight grained, 16-18" lengths, 10" diameter or less, they work great. Otherwise, you will still be hand splitting and/or noodling the larger stuff.

If it were me, I would rent a splitter for a weekend as suggested. Have all your rounds set-up and ready to go. You should not have a problem getting all of it done in one weekend.

Don't waste your money.

I'd love to get reviews from those folks say, 4 years from now. See if they're still praising it. :D

5 tons sounds like a lot but it's a pipsqueak for busting most firewood. Many of those compact electrics are made in China. They're built to sell, not to last. The bleed screw is a common complaint.

I bought my Didier (Sears) used at a farm auction for $225 about 15 years ago. Still using it. I replaced the engine twice, but that was my fault. First time I left it down at the river bottom thinking it would be safe, then along came the 1999 flood and ruined the engine. Mechanic replaced that one with a used tiller engine that was just about worn out. That one lasted a couple of years and then I put a new Honda on it. I split maybe 3-5 cords a year with it.

I saw one at an auction a few weeks ago that went for under $50. It was homemade but looked like it would work well with a little work and maybe a new HF engine. Also saw a Speeco on CraigsList a while back for $800. There are plenty of good deals to be had used if you keep your eyes open.

When we first moved here in 1994 there was a dead cottonwood out back that was probably 80' tall and 5'x7' (oval) at the base. I had a tree service drop it and rented a splitter for a two weekends. I had enough friends who wanted to 'play' with saws and splitters come over and help. I think we got around three cords out of that tree. That's when I decided I needed my own spliiter, so I spent a couple of years watching estate sales and auctions until I found one.

Found a local rental company that rents their splitter for $45 a day. Gonna give it a shot this year and see how it goes.

If you have everything set up and ready to go, and a couple helpers that don't mind working, you should be able to knock it out rather quickly.

So, umm nobody suggested a super split? thats friggin amazing. That being said I use a hydrailic. +1 on the rent idea, get a couple of people that owe you favors and have at it. Thats what I do anyway, except I own my splitter.

Latest posts

Back