Thoughts on the 020AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
My dad just traded last week his Wildthingy for a non-running 020 rear handle. He has a MS460 for the big stuff and wanted a stihl for the little stuff. What do you guys think of the 020? He really wanted to get a new 200T but just couldn't convince his wife the cost was worth it. So back on track, the 020 good bad and ugly guys.

My dad just traded last week his Wildthingy for a non-running 020 rear handle. He has a MS460 for the big stuff and wanted a stihl for the little stuff. What do you guys think of the 020? He really wanted to get a new 200T but just couldn't convince his wife the cost was worth it. So back on track, the 020 good bad and ugly guys.

Fix it sell it buy the MS200T.It in no way compares to the MS200T.

Last edited:
The 020 is a great saw. The only bad thing about the is that alot of tree care professionals used them as limbing saws and wore them out. They would trade them in on a new one. As long as its got good compression and fire, then it should run. Might have to rebuild the carb and put some fuel lines on it. These saws were a little aggravating to work on. Just want to give you headsup before you tear into it. Goodluck. Let me know if you have any questions!

To my knowledge, the 020AV was a different saw than the 020T or 020 - an older model very similar to the 015 but with a larger displacement and white in color. They are older and primitive and don't hold a candle IMO to the newer models. I wanted nothing to do with the 020AV that I was asked to work on, PITA!!!!

Ohh. I thought we were talking about the 020 and 020t. In my opinion, stay away from the 020 av. Ive had several come in the shop. It takes alot of patience to work on em!

sounds like Im going to have fun with this one :dizzy: , I wonder if it was a good trade after all. Pops ms460 turned him into a die hard STIHL head I think it clouded his judgment.

The 020 is a great saw. The only bad thing about the is that alot of tree care professionals used them as limbing saws and wore them out. They would trade them in on a new one. As long as its got good compression and fire, then it should run. Might have to rebuild the carb and put some fuel lines on it. These saws were a little aggravating to work on. Just want to give you headsup before you tear into it. Goodluck. Let me know if you have any questions!

Ok. I have a question....

Statements from people who say the 020AV is a hard saw to work on have never split the crankcase on an 075 and or diagnosed a fuel delivery problem in the early slide-carb FS-90 brush cutter.

The 020AV is actually a good little saw. Arborists and landscapers had no problem making a living with them for 15 years until the 020T came out.

What ya got for me PogoInTheWoods?
What do you know about carb swaps, ignition conversion from points to electronic, and sprocket conversion from 1/4" to .325 on these things?

BTW, I happen to like mine and find both of them (rear and top handle 020AV's) pretty easy to work on. Expertise with em, (on the other hand), seems sort of difficult to come by when ya need it. I'm just getting my feet wet with both of em.

And speaking of 020AV points ignition, (was I?), will a WIMA cap replace the trigger unit -- similar to how ya'd do an 031?

(OK, so that was slightly more than one question.)

Poge

You can easily switch from 1/4 inch pitch to 3/8 lo profile but you need to buy a new spur gear and chain sprocket. They are getting to be hard to find and expensive. The later 020av came with electronic ignition, however the flywheel was slightly differently timed. It doesn't seem to affect the running that much.

Latest posts

Back