Throwline through chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
While I was in VA, a buddy I work with had a scare.

they did not bag up the throwline because he was going from tree to tree with it. they also were chipping as they went.

The line got in some brush, went into the chipper and wrapped around the drum.

then it burned past his wrist, melting a line in his cuff, and the bag which was tied off to the line end whacked his thigh and wrist bone.

What would have happend if he did not have long shirt cuffs? What would have happend if it had taken a wrap on his wrist before catching on the drum?

All he can say is he was darned lucky (yes, he does talk like that) allways will pack the line up right away. I'll be getting him a cube at the show.

Between the two guys on the job there is around 40 years of climbing experiance. Just a couple of good guys humping brush too fast.

Both own thier own companies (micros) and are 2 of my best clients, and some of the safest operators I've ever worked with.

We all make mistakes from time to time, the purpose of this page to learn from others mistakes. Not to go off on some half-cocked rant based on weak assumptions.

JP,
Scary story, hard to imagine (prior to hearing this) that throwline could be real dangerous on a job site. Ive heard stories of ropes being pulled through chippers. My fear would being having the tail of your rope getting sucked in and snapping you right out of the tree.
Whenever i am in a tree where it may be possible for any rope to potentially caught, I make sure that everyone and anyone is fully aware of where my rope is at all times, either that or simply wait to chip.
i imagine had it not been for his cuff, he would probably have some serious to moderate skin and tissue damage.

I guess the morale of the story is that potential accidents and mishaps are just waiting to happen NO MATTER how much experience, once vigilance to details gets lost in the rush.

I can't say that I can blame Brian for his opinion. If this kind of thing can happen to "experts" why would anyone want to stack the odds against themselves by working with a crew of retards and misanthropes.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
JPS- I do not care if you think of my words as 'some half-cocked rant based on weak assumptions'. F you. I have a real phobia about my rope getting caught by a groundman and drug off toward the chipper. Like tophopper I pay close attention to the tail of my lifeline. I'm sorry that you do not care for the words I used to try and describe just how strongly I feel about this. F you again.

Such a productive post!
I suspect in real life your a tiny, little mouse that doesn't play with others very well.
Cyberspace seems to swell your head a tad, eh?
aaf_roll.gif

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
JPS- F you.....F you again.

:rolleyes:

You constantly remind us how old you are, it's about time you start acting something close to it.

I tire of you petty little negative outbursts. It detracts from the site.

This forum is for thoughtfull discussion of accidents.

Originally posted by tophopper
JP,
Scary story, hard to imagine ...I make sure that everyone and anyone is fully aware of where my rope ... i imagine had it not been for his cuff, he would probably have some serious to moderate skin and tissue damage.

Yeah John, even 2-3 weeks after, his eyes got big telling me.

He has some bruising still from the line bag D-ring hitting him. Just think what it would have been if a carabiner and/or shot bag had been on!

Once I was throwing a line on a very hot day, I had a little line behind me and it went up into my armpit and put a burn streak 4 inches long in the soft tissue. My buddies arm could have been cut bad with that Zing-It.

throw-line burn

I rope burned both arm pits at different times this summer wearing sleevless shirts, that hurts like :angry: Deoderant makes it feal even worse, I learned a good lesson. I make sure that line is ALL in front of me now before I launch it. :D Hope yer buddy heals up quik.

Re: throw-line burn

Originally posted by David Hardman
:D Hope yer buddy heals up quik.

It was mostly Tom's pride, and he's a humble amn. So there was no long lasting effect. Aside from lessons learned that is.

The "funny" thing about it is that the other fella (Dave) that was working with him almost fed my spectra in this past Wednesday.

I was setting a line while he was chipping (I was sub'ing to him) and I had to yell and jerk the line.

That is how I heard the story about Tom's close call. I worked with Tom the next day and got heard the whole thing.

ive had throwline burns on both arms before and they sting like you wouldn't believe. Lat year I was making a throw while wearing my saddle, when I released the throw the bag made it about 20 ft out in front of me then the line snagged up on my saddle someplace, the bag stopped dead in its coarse and came shooting back at me, i tried to move but wasnt quick enough, the bag (14 oz.) nailed me right in the adams apple and knocked me on my arse. My throat was sore for a week. And I thought the line burns hurt:(

I had one hang up on a red oak bark flake, somewhat low on the tree

I tried to pull it off to no avail, then on hard jerk and it came rileing twards me.

Just enough time to step around and back, the thing took me low in the back and cracked a rib.

a few weeks ago i was trying to free a bag one of the yahoos i was working with got snagged . so im pulling on it with a piece of wood and all of the sudden , the mofo frees up and flies at me at like mach 1 . i instinctivly crouched down and turned where it proceeded to nail me in the back right on my kindeys..:cry:

Last week one of my guys did the same thing and hit himself in the nads. It's hard not to laugh. No permanent damage 'cept for his pride.

Last edited:
last time i got hit with anything like that was varsity hockey in highschool . got nailed from behind and wizzed blood for 2 days

Barb wire can get pulled in too

I have a real fear of things getting tangled in with the brush. We often chip large piles on ranches and along fence lines. It doesn't happen often, but we sometimes come across barbed wire wrapped in through the trees. The problems occur when we are chipping cedar trees that are dead and have turned a rusty brown. This makes seeing pieces of wire very difficult. I have never actually chipped wire but once or twice pulled dead trees close to the chipper only to find a long strand of rusty barb wire hidden. That gives me a real scare. I can only imagine wire getting hung up on me or someone working with me while it is quickly wrapped around the drum!

just today i had a thornbush wrapped around my whrist while it went through the chipper. it felt good in a sick kinda way;)

Back