Throwline through chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky,
We do not live in a perfect world. I find it hard to believe that JPS is a loose cannon. I have had people make the same mistake twice. It is the attitude of the person when they make the mistake that is most important. I had an employee that made alot of mistakes but never the same one twice. When confronted he would shrug his shoulders or roll his eyes and half heartedly apologize. He was a true hazard to the work place. His apathetic attitude would have lead to someone getting injured had I kept him employed. Another employee still has to be reminded to keep an eye on the end of the bar while bucking. He has worked for me for 8 months and I have a real problem with people who use my saws as a trencher. When confronted you can see the pain in his face. He sharpens all of the chains (voluntarily) if he hits the dirt. JPS gave us a little info on this subject. Your better off not making blanket statements without all of the information. You don't have to agree with everything people say......you also don't have to respond.

Rocky,
I think you nailed on the last one. It's the dangerous one's that don't notice they are doing something dangerous. That's what gets us hurt. We all make mistakes but most people with common sense either learn from the mistake or stop in the middle and correct it.

Originally posted by TreeCo

It seems that by the time people learn to sharpen chains they know better than to trench with a saw. Just my experience.

Dan [/B]

Dan,
I don't let him file the chains. I use a bench mounted grinder. For production work I explain less and get much more consistent results with a grinder. The employee I'm referring to is very dedicated but doesn't grasp concepts as fast as most people. What he does specifically is: While bucking he will pull on the dogs and angle the saw to far allowing the tip to contact the ground. This happens once every six weeks or so. It happened every couple of weeks when he started. Nobody is perfect and short of the trenching issue he is a safe and loyal employee.

Climbing rope in the chipper.

I was on a job and an old highschool buddy saw me working and came over to say hi. Amoung other things he told me the story of how he got hurt doing tree work.
He had just come out of the tree and was walking around getting ready to go up another, while the ground crew was chipping. you can guess what happened. Somehow his climbing rope went in the chipper. Nobody saw what happened next, but as the rope got pulled into the chipper, it hooked his leg, pulled him down to the ground rendering him instantly unconscious, and dragged him about thirty feet towards the chipper before the rope came off his foot and disappeared into the chips.
The way they figured out what happen was only buy the location of his hardhat, marks on the ground, his ankle damage, and rope in the chipper.

I'm not quite sure how I would handle that situation. I can't think of a nice or socially acceptable response. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back