Thumbs up or down on Stihl MS 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Despite the many Stihl fans on this site, their homeowner saws seem to take a pretty good beating for their non-pro design. And the small-saw debates and comparisons have been done many times over, so we don't need to go there again. Yet I've noticed that many member signatures include a MS 180 on the saw listings. So what's the deal; is it thumbs up or thumbs down on the Stihl MS 180, and why?

it depends what you use it for, for me, i use my saws at least one day a week and i couldent live without the 180, its a back saver and is very quick and nimble. If your commercial, it might not hold up but if your only a little more than a weekend cutter, it will be fine.

meeez got one

it aint nothin much but it will out cut a pollon saw hands down:givebeer: i let a gall use to cut up fire wood cause her plastic homereject up and quit, well lets just say i had a hellz of a time pryin i away. they are lightweight, and they are easy to maitain and some have the tools adjuster thingy :clap: me i like it for quicky jobs mostly. it works great as a toping saw:)
the one bad thing is the air filter system sucks badly:dizzy: i put a 16" bar and a stihl non safety mean chain on it and lowered the riders, she can knaw her way throu any tree in her way:chainsaw: one really nice thing is they are cheaper then a big saw :givebeer:

:cheers:

i love my ms180 its light and quick. i have a 14" bar and i use this saw more than all the others. my back loves it too

i got a 180 last summer had the dealer put a regular chain (non safety) as per his his recommendation and Ive read here may times makes a big difference , i got this saw with just light trimming etc in mind . My father decided he wanted to help me cut fire wood last year, well he ran that little saw all day long many a day with me with out any problems what so ever . there may be better small saws out there but for $200 i would buy one again ,

I have a 017 and like it alot, I use it to delimb and some topping. Enjoy it for the lightness great cutter!!! When pops helps thats the one he demands to use.

It's a thumbs up!! They're lightweight, reliable and a pleasure to work with.

The Dolmar DCS401 may be a tad better built but it's a toss up between the two.

I have both but if there were a clear favorite one of them would have been thinned out already.

Last edited:
Redmax 3800, Shinny 377, and Dolmar 420 are all much better built saws. The Redmax and Shinny are getting hard to find though. You should be able to find the Redmax new yet though. The Dolmar is a little heavier yet a superb performer. These are all pro built saws. No clamshell engine. No flat steel rod. No fixed jet carb. All vertically split magnesium cases with bolt on cylinders. Need I say more? Sure, the MS180 will do the job but there are much better options. That's all.

Question

Redmax 3800, Shinny 377, and Dolmar 420 are all much better built saws. The Redmax and Shinny are getting hard to find though. You should be able to find the Redmax new yet though. The Dolmar is a little heavier yet a superb performer. These are all pro built saws. No clamshell engine. No flat steel rod. No fixed jet carb. All vertically split magnesium cases with bolt on cylinders. Need I say more? Sure, the MS180 will do the job but there are much better options. That's all.

What the diff in price on all those compared to the 180 Brad??? Just wondering... The wife's little 210 was like $200, and I think the 180 is around $160??? The little 210 has held up very well for a small little plastic saw...

:)

1223734823030921608264.gif

Minus dolmar Brad I don't have a dealer for miles on the other saws you mentioned, and forgive me if i'm wrong but dont you own a 180 that on video looks to be faster than a 361. The 180 is a great value for 200 bucks.

What the diff in price on all those compared to the 180 Brad??? Just wondering... The wife's little 210 was like $200, and I think the 180 is around $160??? The little 210 has held up very well for a small little plastic saw...

:)

That was awhile ago my friend. I just bought a 211 the other day that is a little beast at 9.5 lbs and 2.3 hp and cuts with a 250 and the 210 with all the crap/ez start and crap chain adjuster was like 309 or there abouts. My dealer still has old inventory in the 180 with the crap adjuster for $199. I walked out with the 211 tax title and extra chain for $280 and stock will outcut a modded 210. U get a chance run on at you dealer and you wife will have a new saw, guranteed!

Thumbs up all the way. I've run my 180 on stuff way too big for it, and it just eats it up. It's a very fast little saw and is extremely light. It has the same power as the old 210, but does it with a smaller CC engine and less weight. :chainsaw:

What the diff in price on all those compared to the 180 Brad??? Just wondering...
I'm not sure, but I thought the 180 was like $230-$250?? The Redmax is $250 I believe and the Shinny you'll have to find used. The 420 is something like $280.

...dont you own a 180 that on video looks to be faster than a 361.
I did own a 180 until I got tired of it breaking when I worked on it. I poked a hole through the crown of the piston with a plastic piston stop trying to remove the clutch. I bent the rod using rope as a stop trying to remove a simple flywheel nut. My 180 ran really good, but not anywhere close to my Redmax.

Both of these saws are ported.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUcgQOwCZ50&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUcgQOwCZ50&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back