Thumbs up or down on Stihl MS 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was awhile ago my friend. I just bought a 211 the other day that is a little beast at 9.5 lbs and 2.3 hp and cuts with a 250 and the 210 with all the crap/ez start and crap chain adjuster was like 309 or there abouts. My dealer still has old inventory in the 180 with the crap adjuster for $199. I walked out with the 211 tax title and extra chain for $280 and stock will outcut a modded 210. U get a chance run on at you dealer and you wife will have a new saw, guranteed!

The 210 without all that "crap" was $269 when I bought one last year.

The 180 has been a great little saw for me. I find myself using it much more than I thought I would. It's very light and cuts a lot faster than I expected. Hard to beat the price, plus there is a good full service dealer in town.

[
1223734823030921608264.gif

attachment.php

Cha-ching!!!

[

attachment.php

Cha-ching!!!

I really wanted a MS200, but could not justify that kind of coin. I figured I could buy 2-3 180's for the price of a 200.

I love my little 180, but I also don't use it every day and for hours on end. If I was using it every day I would be looking at something other than a 180. But I bleed orange

Current talley

Well, since I started this mess, I guess I need to give a little game summary up to this point. Call it the halftime report, if you will.

If we count Deerslayer's 017 and Dadouthat's 170 in with the MS 180, we currently have 12 thumbs up and 1 thumb down. Now to do this analysis a little more justice, it seems that most posters are saying the 180 is light, handy, easy to use and affordable at $200, which seems to be about the current going price. The lone dissenter, Brad, points out that the Redmax and Shinny, though more expensive, are better for modding and working on, and have better build quality.

So, if you're thinking about getting a Stihl MS 180 for occasional use and not mod it, it seems to be a runaway favorite. Anybody else care to weight in for the second half?

I got my 180 for $170, I have seen them for $200. I see that the 181 is going for $260, and the 211 is going for $290.

I dont know when the 181 is going to come out, if it is not already, but I would say if you can get a 180 get it now. If I was to buy a small saw right now and they only had a 181 and 211, I would spend the extra $30 and get the 211.

I've only had my 180 for a few weeks. Already it is like my righthand man at the splitter. Great little saw. Got mine with a 12" bar and .050 chain. Best $99 I've spent recently.

I cut hedge most of the time so I do a lot of limbing. I use my 180 more than my other saws. I'd be lost without it.

I bought a 170 today at 10% off, new at D&G Equipment, which has stores all over southern Michigan. The sale lasts until April 15.

I noticed the new 171 weighs a pound more, I did not want that. Plus it costs $50 more.

I can always sell the 170 on Ebay if I don't like it, someone will pay more than one costs new!

So far the 170 limbs well. It is fun, almost weightless. 6" is about the limit in diameter for fast cutting. It can cut 8-10" dead, dry ash if you give it time.

D&G had several BG55 leaf blowers left too, the list price was $139 and I g0t the 10% off deal-$125, a heckuva deal. I can use it to dry my motorcycles after washing or chase the cat around the yard. It's great for cleaning out the garage, too.

Back