Ticks, Here They Come Again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good advice, Ed. They're already thick up here. Pulled a bunch off the dog already, and a few off myself. Pants legs tucked into the boots looks dumb, but it helps if you're out in the woods or tall grass, heck, just about anywhere this time of year.

I use two small bungee cords to blouse my pants when I'm out in the woods cutting. I look like a military wanna-be but so far it has kept all the creepy crawlies out.

Yep.... pulled one off my trouser leg last weekend after a walk in the woodlot. That's it for the summer. I won't be going out there again 'til fall.

The SheWolf put tick & flea repellant on the pudder dogs a couple weeks ago. So far there haven't been ticks in the yard but we reckon they're coming.

I do a lot of work in the woods for my job...best thing I have found is to hose you clothes down with a permethrin based insect "repellant", the ticks will actually die from it as they walk across it. Use DEET on my exposed skin for skeeters...ticks just ignore DEET.

I found one on my daughter up near the house, but my grass was long enough it was going to seed. If they get bad, I'll hose the backyard down with Sevin.

Wild Leeks

My granny used to say that if you eat a bunch of onions and garlic, that the ticks and skeeters wouldn't bother you too much. I guess that it's true as they have never bothered me much (I love onions and garlic). Something about what you sweat out of your pores acts as a natural repellant. The ticks are out here in my part of Arkansas. I was out in the woods Tuesday cutting a few down and I came home without a single tick. My daughter, on the other hand, if she watches a nature show on TV, they are all over her. Seriously, the ticks love her.

I just had a man in, he told me the same about eating wild leeks, the ticks won't bother you.

The garlic and onion thing must be regional...it doesn't even make Cajun skeeters flinch. A guy I worked with was all about the natural repellant stuff, ate garlic by the clove...those Cajun skeeters in Louisiana darn near carried him away! (and no, I did not feel bad in the least for him)

Problem I have is that a bunch of big rounds that I have still need to be cut to length and split. That includes my favorite firewood of them all--red elm. I've got a bunch of huge red elm that's almost dry and taunting me while it sits there. Lousy spring delayed my work, so I have to do it now with my MS660.

I'll get out the Deet and saw from there. Long socks, long pants, long sleeves, etc. Shower afterwards and hope for the best. Ticks are a first class PITA. :msp_mad:

Here in SE Oklahoma the wild blackberries come in season about mid June. By then the not only the Ticks and Chiggers are in full swing, but snakes as well. It takes nerves to get into those berry patches, so what I do is wear a long sleeve white shirt, Bermuda Shorts and Chest Waders. No tick or chigger bites, no brier snags, and no fear of meeting up with an ornery snake. Just buckets of blackberries. :msp_thumbup::hmm3grin2orange:

Been a few Dog (Brown) Ticks 'round here the last week or so... not too bad yet.
Pulled an embedded Deer Tick off the 5-year-old just this evening, told the wife to keep an eye peeled for the "bulls-eye".
I expect the little devils to start showing up in force over the next couple weeks.

You need to read up on lymes. I've had it and my uncle does now. The bullseye is only present around 60% of the time according to my dr. A single dose of doxycycline within 48hrs is a good move when one is latched on. Mine was only on me for 12hours and I got lymes. I hate antibiotics, but I really hate lymes.
Be careful!

Back when they said that White Tail Deer was the carrier of lyme disease, I had a few deer on my place, so I let some hunters come in to get rid of them. That they did, but the deer population escalated. Now they say field mice are the real carrier of lyme. Duh !

I no a lot of people that really suffer from lymes. You would think in this day an age they would have a shot to protect people from getting the disease. At least I don't think they have a shot yet. I have never pulled an imbedded tick off of me even though im always in the woods but my 11 year old son is like a tick magnet.

For any that live in tick areas get yourselves one of these. I thought they were another gimmick at first until I tried it. Gets the head out every time.

I've been giving my dog the Advantage Multi but I think I'm changing to a collar that's out now that kill fleas and ticks. For heart worms I'll go back to the Advantage chewable. I hate the chemicals I'm putting in him but God knows, what can I do. I pick off all I fine, but I don't find all.

I got 2 off me yesterday. I try to keep where we walk mowed but these things fall out of trees. I had one fall on my cap. I heard it hit, looked and there it was. Middle Georgia in loaded. But my chickens have helped some. Anything below the knee they get.

I got 2 off me yesterday. I try to keep where we walk mowed but these things fall out of trees. I had one fall on my cap. I heard it hit, looked and there it was. Middle Georgia in loaded. But my chickens have helped some. Anything below the knee they get.
Little free running Bantam chickens are the best tickers you can get. Guinea Fowl can't hold a light to them.

Guess the damn things was falling off tree limbs, had four in my hair.

Yep; my wife found out about ticks dropping on ya while mowing the lawn under trees. Boy was she mad.

I no a lot of people that really suffer from lymes. You would think in this day an age they would have a shot to protect people from getting the disease. At least I don't think they have a shot yet. I have never pulled an imbedded tick off of me even though im always in the woods but my 11 year old son is like a tick magnet.

Any adult, child, or dog running around loose today can pick up a tick, especially in tall grass. Ticks thrive in weeds and tall grass when herbivores (such as deer and cattle) graze. I scratched the back of a friend's dog today that usually runs loose. We found four ticks working on her, three of them the size of chick peas and packed with blood.

You can press your finger tip on a hard table table top with a tick in between and leave it there for half a minute. When you then raise your finger, the tick will crawl away as if your finger was never there.

The last job I was on I had a group of land surveyors working for us. The one guy told me there is a pill you can take if you are bitten, and it prevents you from getting infected...I don't remember what he said it was, but he said they prescribed it for tick bites, regardless of whether you had a positive test for Lymes.

They also make a three step vaccine for Lymes, but its effectiveness is questionable and some people have reactions to the injections.

Any adult, child, or dog running around loose today can pick up a tick, especially in tall grass. Ticks thrive in weeds and tall grass when herbivores (such as deer and cattle) graze. I scratched the back of a friend's dog today that usually runs loose. We found four ticks working on her, three of them the size of chick peas and packed with blood.

You can press your finger tip on a hard table table top with a tick in between and leave it there for half a minute. When you then raise your finger, the tick will crawl away as if your finger was never there.
A Shotgun If you can buy shells anywhere?
I wonder when fish hooks will be hard to find?(they hurt them poor fishies too!)
I can turn arrows on my wood lathe!
Hard to make a good shot @ any yardage though.
I NEED TO VENT ON ThIS!
A neighbor had 2 Alpaca's killed last week by a Mtn Lion,DOW put up a trap and got him.
DOW has ad's TV here (Hug A Hunter),It's like 4Q a fishin' licence here is $47 for a local?
If we can't buy bullets kinda hard to hunt?(with your over priced licence) Dumb asses!(save them $ to keep your jobs with our new gun laws)
Cal passed worse ones then we have!
I Hurt /Fish in WY from now on. only an hour away,Elk-deer in my backyard
Sorry to get way off topic.
Just had to vent.

Mark

Here's a short story for you guys concerning ticks and dogs. Back when I lived with my parents we had a couple dogs. A black lab and a golden retriever. Retrievers as you know have long hair and my dad and I always did our best to check that old boy for ticks. Like the other poster said, we found some, but missed some. Well one day I'm walking by the old grandfather clock in the hallway and just casually looked down as something caught my eye. I swear I thought I was looking at an acorn with legs!! This tick was so fat and swollen it couldn't even crawl normally because it's legs were barely touching the ground! After being amazed at the sheer size of this thing for a minute or so, it got sent off to the next world.

The last job I was on I had a group of land surveyors working for us. The one guy told me there is a pill you can take if you are bitten, and it prevents you from getting infected...I don't remember what he said it was, but he said they prescribed it for tick bites, regardless of whether you had a positive test for Lymes.

They also make a three step vaccine for Lymes, but its effectiveness is questionable and some people have reactions to the injections.

The one pill would be a strong dose of doxycycline.

Even if you get the head out of you, the damage is done. Lymes is wicked. I have crazy stories if anyone cares to hear them....

Back