Ticks, Here They Come Again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the Lymes is transfered to the human if the tick has been in place 24 hours. If he's removed then the saliva from the tick has done it's damage.

The tick key, anybody know if it will work on the seed tick? I watched the video and all the ticks on the dog were some engorged with blood. Those are rather easy to remove.

Can it Rejuvenate?

Ticks have a split personality of some sort. When they frst attach, they are tiny critters and hardly noticable. Then they suck blood like bandits and swell up to 100 times their original size and look like swollen chick peas. The tick's small head can easily remain inside the flesh as the rest of the body is pulled away. Believe it or not, the head can continue to live without the rest of the body and potentially carry infection.

A few entomologists I have talked to say that the tick's head can regenerate the rest of the body while locked on, but very few studies have confirmed this. If it can, then the tick could continue to live, rejuvenate, and come back alive as if it had another life. One of the reason that tick bites stay around so long after you thought that you pulled it off is that it's head is still there working to live. Your body will fight the tick and the bite will become inflamed, but the "dead' tick may still be there because it's head is still attached to you, perhaps underneath your skin.

Most of the time, your immune system will win the battle after a couple of weeks, but believe me, ticks are tough parasites and have caused many deaths in animals because they can carry deadly disease. Those animals at risk include humans.

Add me to the confirmed tick count. Was tending to the beehives tonight and when I came in felt something crawling on me, thought it was just a lost bee but it was a tick. Got it off before it bit but its here. I drowned it and am bringing it to be checked tomorrow. I think I'm going to start cuttin ALL of my wood in the winter from now on...:bang:

The Ticks are bad this year!! I pulled one off me in the shower the beginning of this week and then pulled one off of me this morning visiting In-Laws in Stone Harbor New Jersey.

The Ticks are bad this year!! I pulled one off me in the shower the beginning of this week and then pulled one off of me this morning visiting In-Laws in Stone Harbor New Jersey.

One! Just one. You are indeed in good shape.

and has ANYONE, tried the bleach in a spray bottle??? haven't had a tick around here to try it yet,,dont want to either....curious to see if they fall off of you intact...

Problem I have is that a bunch of big rounds that I have still need to be cut to length and split. That includes my favorite firewood of them all--red elm. I've got a bunch of huge red elm that's almost dry and taunting me while it sits there. Lousy spring delayed my work, so I have to do it now with my MS660.

I'll get out the Deet and saw from there. Long socks, long pants, long sleeves, etc. Shower afterwards and hope for the best. Ticks are a first class PITA. :msp_mad:

As steved noted, Deet-based repellents have NO effect on deer-ticks. Does not affect them. At all.

Permethrin-based (.5%) repellents repel them by killing them. You do not apply them to skin, but to clothing, then let it dry. Do not allow cats to come in contact while it's still wet- it can kill them too. I use Sawyer's spray in the economy-size. Reportedly effective through 6 laundry cycles.

Permethrin-based also are dry, on your clothes, not slimy oily stuff on your skin. Allegedly repel all manner of bugs. I still use deet-free "Bull Frog" on exposed skin, where you do not want to apply permethrin.

The last job I was on I had a group of land surveyors working for us. The one guy told me there is a pill you can take if you are bitten, and it prevents you from getting infected...I don't remember what he said it was, but he said they prescribed it for tick bites, regardless of whether you had a positive test for Lymes.

They also make a three step vaccine for Lymes, but its effectiveness is questionable and some people have reactions to the injections.

cipro maybe?

even though deer/dog ticks suck i absolutely hate seed ticks more.
i'm all the time in my woods and have usually 2 - 3 ticks when i come back.
last weekend i chased a grandson's ball into my daugher's woods. i immediately felt the seed ticks. i went to the john and dropped my trou. looked like an invading army on my legs. jumped in the shower and got a good number of them. last count i pulled over 40 of them suckers off. i usually cut ticks with scissors but how ya gonna cut a seed tick? been over 35 years since i got into a mess of seed ticks this bad. literally took 4 days before i quit discovering them on me. i'm guessing it didn't help that i was wearing shorts and sandals, ya think? i ain't goin into that patch of woods again until it freezes.

Last summer I went to a buddies cane thicker to cut some for staking my beans. Actually large bamboo.. I cut about 5 when I noticed a tick on my arm. Then 3, then 7, then I saw those thing crawling on my pant leg. I put the dog in the truck and headed home, about 4 miles. When I got to the house I went to the bathroom and stripped . I picked over 300 ticks off of me. Inside of my socks, all over my boots, and even in my spots the wife don't see. Needless to say, no more cane thickets for me in the summer.

Small Knot--Finally Disappered

A tick bit me on the lower neck over a month ago. I got rid of the tick in less than a day, but it's bite left a small knot under the skin on my neck for five weeks. After awhile, I thought it might be a cyst because it refused to go away. This week the knot finally gave up and seems to have almost vanished.

Ticks are a curse. :msp_angry:

A tick bit me on the lower neck over a month ago. I got rid of the tick in less than a day, but it's bite left a small knot under the skin on my neck for five weeks. After awhile, I thought it might be a cyst because it refused to go away. This week the knot finally gave up and seems to have almost vanished.

Ticks are a curse. :msp_angry:

Watch for knee and neck pain a symptom of
lyme.

Ticks keep getting worse and worse around here in central PA.....my daughter got bitten and had the bullseye rash. Over three long weeks of antibiotics, three times a day. She seems to be fine, now. Wife also had a lyme tick in her (on her collarbone of all places), I pulled it out as it was trying to burrow in. And my youngest son was the latest victim....he got it before it burrowed in. The kicker was all three of them were bitten IN THE FRIGGIN YARD.....nowhere near the woods.

This past winter, the day I shot my buck I had a dozen ticks on me (second week of December!). Thankfully, the Sawyer spray with permethrin did it's job, none of them made it very far on my clothes. I'm a firm believer in the permethrin.....

Back