Ticks, Here They Come Again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Developments

They were bad here when it started getting warmer, but i haven't had one on me in a while. I did put granules out though.
I've had three more attack me since I started this post and the dog picked up a pair. They are really bad this year. Some say it's because of the heavy spring rains.

One bite on the side of my neck refused to go away for almost four weeks and formed a knot under the skin. For awhile, I thought it was a cyst. Then yesterday another one got the other side of my neck while splitting logs. The barmaid saw it and pulled it off with its head attached. I gave her an extra $5 double-duty tip for serving as a nurse.

I've now got the dog protected with Front Line, a Wal-Mart special that's working very well. I wish they made something for humans that works just as well. Ticks laugh at Off, Deet, or both. I'm ready to buy a large Flea and Tick dog collar and wear that while processing firewood. Anybody tried that yet?

Been lucky here so far, haven't seen a tick yet. Been putting the frontline on the dog and lots of repel on me, seems to be working. I've never heard of seed ticks & we don't have deer ticks, only the bigger size ticks.

I don't think the flea and tick collar is good for a dog. It just kills ticks. I bought one of the $80 collars for my dog. Since he started wearing it I've found two. But we live in the woods. I do believe my chickens do a pretty good job with keeping the ticks in line.

I've thought about one for me, but I don't think so.

Get a bunch of chickens and let them free range during the day, they will eat the ticks, fertilize your lawn, lay your eggs for breakfast and then you can return the favor by cutting off their head and putting them in the freezer for later consumption. It's a wonderful world we live in, Burn wood it's good

I've been having the little b sterds drop on me from the tree branches paratrooper style
:( . I use a lot of DEET 29% that seems to help.

I also have the pleasure of the yellow marsh flies swarming the hell out of me, I learned that wearing a boonie style hat with a small leafy branch inserted in the foliage loops sticking straight up will attact them away from your face. They are the females and for some reason like to attack the highest spot.

Drink copious amounts of beer. The little buggers will get drunk and fall off:givebeer: where is the post to buy the them bug eatin chickens???

For anyone unfamiliar, here are the birds, and they are insect eating machines...also watchdogs, let you know if any two or four legged varmints are around. Should be able to score some off most any local craigslist farm & garden section

Domesticated guineafowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also the dumbest creature with feathers. If there is any bird that will be splattered on a roadway, that's the one.

Also the dumbest creature with feathers. If there is any bird that will be splattered on a roadway, that's the one.

They make good Owl fodder too. They are so dumb, they won't even pick the ticks off themselves. Lots of books about how they eat ticks, but has anyone ever seen a Guinea eat a Tick on purpose ?

The ash tiger beetle

Been lucky here so far, haven't seen a tick yet. Been putting the frontline on the dog and lots of repel on me, seems to be working. I've never heard of seed ticks & we don't have deer ticks, only the bigger size ticks.
These are also very mean critters. A tiger beetle that bores holes in ash wood. They can also bore holes in you and make you wish that you never cut or split wood:

They can dig into your flesh much easier than ash wood and leave behind a bite twice the size of a quarter that oozes right through your jeans.

These are also very mean critters. A tiger beetle that bores holes in ash wood. They can also bore holes in you and make you wish that you never cut or split wood:

They can dig into your flesh much easier than ash wood and leave behind a bite twice the size of a quarter that oozes right through your jeans.

What you talking about Jefferson? More info please.

What you talking about Jefferson? More info please.
They exist. Are you texting a message? Don't believe me? Look it up, and which Jefferson are you talking about? I'm talking about an insect that bores into ash hardwood and can bore into your leg while you are cutting and splitting firewood. Dead serious, Dan. Put your cell phone away, please. Thanks.

They exist. Are you texting a message? Don't believe me? Look it up, and which Jefferson are you talking about? I'm talking about an insect that bores into ash hardwood and can bore into your leg while you are cutting and splitting firewood. Dead serious, Dan. Put your cell phone away, please. Thanks.

Ifin you're serious, I'll take a look see.

I believe you. I have never heard of them boring into humans. Now that they are here, that is good info to know. Should be working up a lot of ash here soon. I DON"T LIKE THINGS THAT DIG INTO MY BODY.

I believe you. I have never heard of them boring into humans. Now that they are here, that is good info to know. Should be working up a lot of ash here soon. I DON"T LIKE THINGS THAT DIG INTO MY BODY.

All I found is that many people have mistaken the 6 spotted tiger beetle for an emerald ash borer.

@Quote: Tiger beetles are ecologically beneficial. They are not a pest. The beetles do not bite, sting or carry disease. They do not feed on crops, trees or houses. They are remarkably fast and difficult to catch.

I’m bummed that I caught one, but glad it wasn’t an ash borer.

Lewis says the emerald ash borer is much smaller and narrower and does not have the long sharp jaws of a tiger beetle (predatory

hunter.)

This entomologist was glad it wasn't an ash borer, because it had been reported they may be migrating into his area.

Last edited:
Sorry, No Sensationalism

I am not talking about an emerald ash borer. This insect that I showed above has yellow and black stripes, is about an inch or more long, has long legs, is easy to see and bites humans like mad. It attacks ash wood, digs tunnels inside ash logs, and even goes after other hardwoods as well. It's mandibles are strong.

After it crawled up the back of my pant leg, it chewed into the backside of my leg behind the knee. Next day the entire area swelled up, stiffened up, and oozed all over the place. My jeans were then actually wet-stained with the plasma as my body started to fight the invasion. It took two weeks for the wound to finally disappear and only after I started treating the infected area with antibiotic salve.

This insect is not to be taken lightly. No Pics of the ugly wound course, so I guess it never happened, right? Give me a break.

Latest posts

Back