timbe wolf tw5 hydro temp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have new used tw5 its works great and I dont have any performance issues with it but the hydraulic fluid seems to get extremely hot - to the point that I cant touch the external filter. I have replaced the fluid and the filter but that didnt seem to change it. I know it will get hot but i thought i would be able to put my hand on the filter.

any thoughts ?

jack

If it starts getting over 150deg the fluid starts to break down.Over 125deg can cause burns in a short time so if its near 150 its gonna feel hot to the touch.

Its not running hot...that's the built in hand warmer. Seriously, timberwolf should include that in their literature. My -6 gets warm like that after about a solid hour of splitting. Then its time to shut down, move away from the pile and stack for a while...then start all over.

Dear Timberwolf splitter owners:

Would you all give me your candid opinions about TW products? I'm in the market for either a TW-2 or a TW-3 PTO version for my tractor. I'm leaning towards the TW-3, but I'd appreciate opinions for the other wheeled products. While TW splitters are more $$$ than many other models, I like the fact they're USA made and have several back-saving devices that I'm sure I'd appreciate when I'm MUCH older. (I'm 56 now)

Many thanks in advance.

Would you all give me your candid opinions about TW products? I'm in the market for either a TW-2 or a TW-3 PTO version for my tractor. I'm leaning towards the TW-3, but I'd appreciate opinions for the other wheeled products. While TW splitters are more $$$ than many other models, I like the fact they're USA made and have several back-saving devices that I'm sure I'd appreciate when I'm MUCH older. (I'm 56 now)

Many thanks in advance.

I was totally against buying the log lift...the dealer talked me into it. However, it was the best thing I ever did, I don't know what I'd do without the lift. The lift can be used to stage smaller pieces...my son can stack a bunch on there while I'm splitting. I need to get some pictures of the rounds that I have put on that thing...I have put some gigantic poplar pieces on with the lift.

I can't remember if the table grate is standard or optional...but that's another must have, at least for me. I have the 6-way wedge, but don't use it much...that would be the only thing I may have reconsidered, but its great if you have consistent diameter wood.

In three years, I haven't came across a piece that I can't split.

Many thanks in advance.

I have a tw-5 with a 36" stroke. I also added the lift and table grate. The lift and table are worth every penny! I have run into some rounds I can't split. However it may be two or three a year!

I added a old corn elavater and can really stack the wood. Other wise the splitter will be faster then you.

I have a tw-5 with a 36" stroke. I also added the lift and table grate. The lift and table are worth every penny! I have run into some rounds I can't split. However it may be two or three a year!

I added a old corn elavater and can really stack the wood. Other wise the splitter will be faster then you.

Couldn't agree more!

tw6

i run my tw6 for 4 or 5 hours and watch the temp its a pro grade splitter it takes the abuse still splits like crazy

If the hydraulic fluid gets over 150 degrees it starts to break down and gums up the valve and other orifices which causes restriction which makes the fluid get hotter, all the while breaking down your hoses and gumming up everything.In other words, not good.
There are some cures for this problem such as oil coolers or larger capacity resovoir to at least match the GPM of the pump.Another thing you can do is decrease run time and let the fluid cool down.Either way, if the fluid has been that hot,I would change it.

Latest posts

Back