Timber Bear not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.010 would be a good starting point for air gap(between coil and flywheel).If you dont have feeler gauges,just use your drivers license or a credit card to set the gap.It is sounding more like a weak coil all the time.Piece of fine sandpaper to the flywheel magnets and the coil contact could also help.

.010 would be a good starting point for air gap(between coil and flywheel).If you dont have feeler gauges,just use your drivers license or a credit card to set the gap.It is sounding more like a weak coil all the time.Piece of fine sandpaper to the flywheel magnets and the coil contact could also help.
Gap looked to be about that. I'll throw a feeler in there later.
I'll try the sandpaper and also look what a coil costs.
I appreciate the help

Gap is right on specs. Just looked up a new coil, and what I've found is $50+! Thats pretty wild to see if its the issue. I'll have to think it over if its worth it...

140 is mediocre for the 600 Series saws but certainly should let the saw run. A really good one will be 180-200 PSI.

The (tan) coils are pretty reliable, but the wire can develop a break or sometimes just the connector in the boot fails to make a good contact. Pull the boot off and confirm that the connector is firmly in contact with the spark plug wire.

On the 600 Series saws there is always a chance for a bit of bar oil to leak past the diaphragm and get into the crankcase and could foul the spark plug. Pour some mixed fuel down the carburetor and then pull it over 10-12 times with the spark plug out to try and clear out the crankcase and the cylinder.

Most electronic ignition coils won't fire until the engine reaches a certain RPM so what you are seeing might just be the electronics at work. Setting the coil just a bit closer (0.006-0.008") can help create a better spark if that is the issue.

Mark

Lets try something. Pull the plug, set it so that the bar is straight up. Let it set for a day. Set the low jet at one turn out and the high at one and 1/8. Put it all together and try again.

Lets try something. Pull the plug, set it so that the bar is straight up. Let it set for a day. Set the low jet at one turn out and the high at one and 1/8. Put it all together and try again.
I'll give that a try. I have to drain the gas, as the fuel line entering the tank doesn't seal so it'll leak. (She needs a little TLC lol)
140 is mediocre for the 600 Series saws but certainly should let the saw run. A really good one will be 180-200 PSI.

The (tan) coils are pretty reliable, but the wire can develop a break or sometimes just the connector in the boot fails to make a good contact. Pull the boot off and confirm that the connector is firmly in contact with the spark plug wire.

On the 600 Series saws there is always a chance for a bit of bar oil to leak past the diaphragm and get into the crankcase and could foul the spark plug. Pour some mixed fuel down the carburetor and then pull it over 10-12 times with the spark plug out to try and clear out the crankcase and the cylinder.

Most electronic ignition coils won't fire until the engine reaches a certain RPM so what you are seeing might just be the electronics at work. Setting the coil just a bit closer (0.006-0.008") can help create a better spark if that is the issue.

Mark
I'll set the coil closer and try the above solution. Will report findings in the morning

Went and got a spark tester.
This is as far apart as I can get it before the spark is unreliable. About an 1/8"
20210919_102835.jpg
Set the jets as described above, put fresh mixed gas in, and she won't start after 30+ pulls.

Any other ideas? Spark too weak?

Went and got a spark tester.
This is as far apart as I can get it before the spark is unreliable. About an 1/8"
View attachment 930282
Set the jets as described above, put fresh mixed gas in, and she won't start after 30+ pulls.

Any other ideas? Spark too weak?
Same results with both coils?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back