Time for a bigger saw, how big to go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was on a budget of 4-500 like you mention and looking to pull bars in the 30-36" range I'd be grabbing a 288. New enough the AV is decent (not as good as the newer spring mount stuff) and parts are available. But also old enough that they are affordable and well built. Not that a 372/440/460 won't be fine the 288 will just do it with more authority and isn't that much bigger/ heavier. Plus 288s just sound and run awesome.

Being in a similar situation previously in wanting a bigger saw for longer bars up to 36" i took some great advice from members here weighted up the want and need a 36" or 30" 32" and i went for a solo 681 with a 32" for occasional use with 24" being the most worn i worked on my cutting technique and with my 656 solo more that happy does everything i need

My Stihl ms461 is great with the 24" bar. You can really lean into it and it doesn't hesitate a bit. With the 32 it pulls fine, but leaning into it will slow it down a bit.

Definitely a 385xp or 390xp. 24" bar and a 8 pin rim for most applications. I picked up a 32"bar and chain combo from Left Coast Supplies for a great price; for the 1% of the time I need it. Obviously the 7 pin rim will be run with the 32".

Back