Time for some repair, where to go for parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took my dad's saw home to sharpen it yesterday, noticed the sprocket is worn out bad. I'm planning on getting him a new sprocket for christmas, wondering what else I should do to the saw while I have it down. Saw is a Stihl 041 Farm Boss, probably 70's model. I'm fairly sure the piston and rings are original, but I could be wrong. I looked on Bailey's website and they don't list much for that saw, maybe I should go to the dealer for parts? This will be the first time I've been inside a saw motor, but I've done quite a few motorcycle 2-strokes. Can't be much different.

Thinking I need: Sprocket, sprocket bearing, maybe piston and rings while I'm at it, maybe spark plug, cylinder base gasket if I rebuild. Anything else I'm missing? The saw runs fine now and nothing is broke, just that worn sprocket.

While I'm ordering stuff, should I maybe re-build my Stihl 021? It's probably 15 years old, never been rebuilt. Again it runs fine, but parts are cheap enough. Maybe just re-ring it and new base gasket? It does need a new rubber bushing for the anti-vibe handle, one of them is missing. So I'll be working on it either way. For a rough idea on hours the 041 has a good bit, and the 021 has worn out at least 2 bars that I know of.

check the sprocket for a part number, it should be fairly easy to get a new one, at any stihl dealer

personally before you re-ring them check the compression, if it's under 120psi it's time to start thinking about giving them some love..

Last edited:
Sprockets and bearings can be had at many site sponsors online storefronts.

IMO......if it runs.........leave it alone.....(to some extent)
I would clean/rebuild the carb & replace fuel line and filter and leave the cylinder alone.

if you are going to do the rebuild then make sure a fuel line and carb kit is along with the build

Back