Timing off after ignition capacitor replacement S6000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emptywrapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a service manual or information on how to set the ignition timing on an S6000. I did the capacitor replacement and saw runs like the timing is a little slow. I m looking for some info on how to check and adjust the timing?

Hey :) welcome to the forum! Try this link and ask for the service manual there, the guys are awesome and they send you the manual to your inbox.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/the-beg-for-manuals-thread.68615/page-1760

I haven’t worked on a Poulan before, but points ignitions are fairly generic across the board.

If movable, the stator will often have a notch which corresponds to another notch in the housing. This gets you very close.

using a multimeter and degree wheel or dial indicator depending on the manual recommendation is the most accurate way, but generally not necessary!!

Upload a picture of the stator and I’ll explain the process, it’s very simple. Alternatively, here is a video I made, not for your model but i’m fairly confident it will apply!

Does anyone have a service manual or information on how to set the ignition timing on an S6000. I did the capacitor replacement and saw runs like the timing is a little slow. I m looking for some info on how to check and adjust the timing?
I wish I could help more but if I remember right there is very little adjustment in the slots to change the timing on those ign.. Just turn it all the way clockwise when you tighten it down.

If it's actually still slow on time it is probably in the electronics.But you might check that the flywheel key is in place.

I hope your being careful when pulling the flywheel on these as the center hole in the crank is drilled deep for a factory Dolmar puller to fit into. If the flywheel is really tight and use a regular puller it will split and damage the crankshaft

Thank you for the information. It was tight when I removed the flywheel to do the capacitor modification. I was able to get it apart without damaging it. I will be extremely careful when I remove it to set base timing and any other needed further adjustments to timing.

I have been referred to the beg for manuals forum. I go there and can't figure out how to post a request for a Poulan S6000 service/Repair manual?? Any help or advice would be appreciated?

Thank You

I have been referred to the beg for manuals forum. I go there and can't figure out how to post a request for a Poulan S6000 service/Repair manual?? Any help or advice would be appreciated?

Thank You
I may have a Dolmar service manual but I'm out of town till the weekend to see for sure.

I'm not sure how much the manual will help with what your doing but I will share it if I have it

Latest posts

Back