Tip of the Day thread:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding bar oil container. I started using a dish soap bottle. Dawn to be exact. Holds up pretty well. Learned that from on here I think. Also started using water bottles with the squirt top for fuel containers. The Caseys brand water bottles are quite a bit thicker than the others.

Explain difference between log splitter and chainsaw to 6 year old before he tells first grade teacher he ran a chainsaw for his dad!!!!

I let him control the log splitter lever helping me one weekend, then his teacher had a "talk" with me about letting him run a saw by himself!!!

Me to teacher, sarcastically "What did he call that, a chainsaw?? Boy is he dumb, that was a ma deuce full auto belt fed, we cut trees down with it".

Me to kid after teacher recovers from feint and runs outta there "C'mon man, let's go, time to pack"!!

Carry your saw with the bar facing behind you.

If you don't have one already, get a bar scabbard for your saw(s). They're not expensive and can prevent a serious injury if you stumble or fall while carrying a saw. I've tripped and stumbled in the woods more times than I care to recall. The scabbard has certainly paid for itself. :)

Are you a heavy boozer Fred? I never drink while working that way I am not stumbling around a work site. I guess I never should say never. . . every now and then I will have a tiny glass of white zinfindel while using the hand clippers to trim grass along the fences etc.

Are you a heavy boozer Fred? I never drink while working that way I am not stumbling around a work site.
I generally light a smoke and open a Budweiser every time the saw needs refueling (unless it's before 10:00 AM)... but I must not be a heavy boozer, b'cause I don't ever remember stumbling :D
Of course... my memory ain't what it used to be...

Adaptable wood rack. I like this one for several reasons: it is simple; easy to use; easy to move and to store. As the photos show it is two 2" x 4"s (what ever length works best for you) with three cleats or spreaders nailed across them. The end cleats extend past the rails by 2" on each side, which will hold two of the tripod legs from sliding backwards from the presure of the stacked wood. I made the tripod legs (2) at 48" and (1) at 56", and a 6" piece of all-thread (drill the holes for the all-thread oversized for some wobble room). Sometimes a single deck screw is needed in the leg to the rail, to keep the leg from creating up over the spreader. In the wood shed I used 4" x 4" posts in the dirt floor to save space. When cutting in the woods and hauling rounds home these temporary racks worked great for staging rather than a big pile, especially in the snowy months. Drawback: They are stationary when filled, and can not be moves when loaded.
IMG_2161.jpg1031091431.jpg
IMG_2178.jpgIMG_2170.jpgIMG_2176.jpg
The lighter colored 2 x 6 is scrape used for leveling and not part of the rack.

1014101348a.jpg1017091657a.jpg
IMG_2162.jpg

Attachments

• 1123091331a.jpg
    1123091331a.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2175.jpg
    IMG_2175.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Converted tub style wheel barrow. These can be bought new as brick layers wheel barrows.

Attachments

• 1006101219.jpg
    1006101219.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2167 (1).jpg
    IMG_2167 (1).jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 1006101220a (1).jpg
    1006101220a (1).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1006101220.jpg
    1006101220.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 63
I generally light a smoke and open a Budweiser every time the saw needs refueling (unless it's before 10:00 AM)... but I must not be a heavy boozer, b'cause I don't ever remember stumbling :D
Of course... my memory ain't what it used to be...

Hopefully you aren't lighting the smoke WHILE you're re-fueling... ;)

Well, at my age I can stumble over honeysuckle or pretty much anything else in the woods before I've had a drink. If I ain't careful I can get in my own darn way in no time. ;)

A tip I've found useful: If you're dropping trees, cut away all those annoying branches before bucking. Toss or drag the brush a good ways from where you'll be working. There's nothing so irritating as brush laying in the way when you're trying to work.

Safety/Be observant: There are three imaginary radiating circles to this (to life really): self; other you know or near you; and the larger picture of all others. The first one: Using myself as an example, I mostly work alone. Which means if I (you) get hurt I might be seriously screwed. We use dangerous tools in ever changing circumstances. So control what you can in terms of safety. Obviously that includes PPE, serviced equipment, knowledge and common sense technique. The biggy though is taking the time to, as it were, to take the time. So while working, my thought is often if I get hurt doing this, how much will it really cost me, in down time, a strained back, or hospital costs, etc. That moments thought is often enough to to take a second look. It may mean walking back to the shed or truck to get a another strap or come-a-long. Or throwing away a very handy 80' bull rope that used to be 100', but broke twice. And, as Fred Wright suggests, pausing to clear away the brush, the stumbling blocks, before continuing. Every motion you make in the woods is probably transferring through your feet. When walking naturally the motion seems to be, the body moves first in some way, then the foot moves. In the woods when cutting, I set the chain break before repositioning. Then I move my feet first, and my body repositions over my feet. If you move naturally, the body movement first, and your foot is blocked or trapped, you are going down, with a running chain saw. Most of us have probably done this more than once, and it is an unsettling attention getter. Safety ignored catches up to you. Its a numbers game. I've learned to enjoy and use those transitions of work as rest breaks from the more noisy and dangerous stuff as well. And sometimes, I just sit on the quad running board, drink a Coke-a-Cola, scratch the dog under the chin, and enjoy the moment, the place where I'm at, and take time to be thankful.

a little tid bit of the day: never use a self climbing tree stand for a means of pruning a tree!:baaa:

Trimmed many of trees while in them. What do you do to clear your shooting lanes once you get in the tree. ;)

Yeah I spent about 20 minutes on this exact task last night... Got to the area I've been seeing some deer entering the field only to find out that the only tree big enough to hold my weight was a red cedar about 14" in diameter. Had to climb the branches up 12-15' and then strap my stand on just to hunt. Good thing I carry a folding saw and some snips when I hunt; otherwise I would have been wasting time.

If it feels too heavy to lift, presume that it is and get help with it. A back injury can put you out of commission for a long time.

Widow makers ~ more than one has lived up to the name. Even a small branch can kill. Bear in mind, that branch will be traveling at an average of 40 MPH by the time it hits the ground. Or your head. Please, clear those things before you start cutting. If you can't clear it, don't cut it.

No one likes a hung tree. They can be risky to leave in place and risky to remove. Never, ever attempt to cut a tree that's supporting a hanger. Take time to assess the sitrep and remember the Law of Unintended Consequences. Better to ask "What if?" than to say "Aw ****!" :eek:

Latest posts

Back