Tip of the Day thread:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you hit a man with a 2x4, and he gets up.... RUN! (quote from my father)
Hmmmm.....
My dad always said...
If'n you're gonna' hit a man don't hold anything back, hit 'em just as friggin' hard as ya' can... be thinkin', my fist is gonna' go all the way through this mother-pucker's head.
There ain't no rules son, make damn sure ya' knock 'em down, then hit 'em a few more times while they're down to make damn sure they stay down... don't ever let 'em get back up.

But, unlike me :D, dad is an ornery, cantankerous SOB :D

On the bar oil the easiest thing I have found is to poke a small hole {1/4 "} with the scrench thru the foil on the pour side and another on the other side of the foil for air intake, The cap covers them when your done
if it's cold just squeeze the bottle to hurry it up.
It makes it controlable and hard to dump too much at once.

I have a dedicated mixed fuel can 2.5 gal. When I get gas I pump another can with exactly 2.5 gal and shut it off.
that way if the mix can is not quit empty I can just add the oil and gas without worrying about measuring it.

Keep a sharpie in box and mark the tooth I started on when sharpening. quick and easy so I dont have to keep looking for the green chainlink on the other side.

I dump the bad gas if small amounts on the bed of my trailer , the bad gas evaporates and the oil hepls protect the wood.
I also use the trailer bed to brush out any paint left in my brush before cleaning it.

If I can't remember when I mixed the gas I put it in my mower and use it up.

I also use a small recycling tote container to store my chaps .extra .blades, files, 2 cycle oil etc so when I am getting the saw out everything goes and I don't forget stuff.

Chad

If you hit a man with a 2x4, and he gets up.... RUN! (quote from my father)

38238_475678063974_3004873_n.jpg

In 6th grade I got in a fight with this guy. It wasn't pretty, and a 2x4 would have done me no good at all. Darren Andy. His little brother is Reese Andy.
He's the one with his arm up.

bio-reese-2.jpg

On the bar oil the easiest thing I have found is to poke a small hole {1/4 "} with the scrench thru the foil on the pour side and another on the other side of the foil for air intake, The cap covers them when your done
if it's cold just squeeze the bottle to hurry it up.
It makes it controlable and hard to dump too much at once.

I have a dedicated mixed fuel can 2.5 gal. When I get gas I pump another can with exactly 2.5 gal and shut it off.
that way if the mix can is not quit empty I can just add the oil and gas without worrying about measuring it.

Keep a sharpie in box and mark the tooth I started on when sharpening. quick and easy so I dont have to keep looking for the green chainlink on the other side.

I dump the bad gas if small amounts on the bed of my trailer , the bad gas evaporates and the oil hepls protect the wood.
I also use the trailer bed to brush out any paint left in my brush before cleaning it.

If I can't remember when I mixed the gas I put it in my mower and use it up.

I also use a small recycling tote container to store my chaps .extra .blades, files, 2 cycle oil etc so when I am getting the saw out everything goes and I don't forget stuff.

Chad
The 3 chain saws I've owned have had .325 pitch chains and every chain I've bought for them has had one place where 2 cutters were together on one side. I've always started or stopped with those.

Speaking of chains. I have a Husky and Stihl, each with 18" bars but the Husky is .058 and the Stihl is .050. Very easy to mix up especially using the smaller gauge chain in the larger bar gauge. (You just can not cut anything that way.) Not any more. Next time you get to the saw shop ask for one of these.
IMG_2222.jpg
The corners slip in the bar. The slots on the right fit the chain guides. Plus pitch and file sizes, all for $3.00 or something close.

Since it looks like we are passing on wisdom from our Grandpas, here's a cool trick mine taught me. To figure out where the top of a tree will land, get a straight stick that is at least as long as your arm. Go to where you guesstimate the tree will land, and hold your arm (either one) out as far as you can with the stick in your hand. Now, take the top of your fist with the stick in it and turn it back so the stick is facing you. With your hand still extended, use your other hand to pull the top of the stick so that is slips in your hand until the top touches your forehead. Turn your hand back so that stick is sticking straight up. Put the point where the stick meets the top of your hand at the base of the tree, and move back or forward until the top of the stick is exactly at the top of the tree. Where you are standing is the point is where the top of the tree will land when you cut it down..............assuming it goes the direction you want it to.

Since it looks like we are passing on wisdom from our Grandpas, here's a cool trick mine taught me. To figure out where the top of a tree will land, get a straight stick that is at least as long as your arm. Hold your arm (either one) out as far as you can with the stick in your hand. Now, take the top of your first and turn it back so the stick is facing you. With your hand still extended, use your other hand to pull the top of the stick so that is slips in your hand until the top touches your forehead. Turn your hand back so that stick is sticking straight up. Put the point where the stick meets the top of your hand at the base of the tree, and move until the top of the stick is exactly at the top of the tree. Where you are standing is the point is where the top of the tree will land when you cut it down..............assuming it goes the direction you want it to.

That is interesting.

Since it looks like we are passing on wisdom from our Grandpas, here's a cool trick mine taught me. To figure out where the top of a tree will land, get a straight stick that is at least as long as your arm. Hold your arm (either one) out as far as you can with the stick in your hand. Now, take the top of your first and turn it back so the stick is facing you. With your hand still extended, use your other hand to pull the top of the stick so that is slips in your hand until the top touches your forehead. Turn your hand back so that stick is sticking straight up. Put the point where the stick meets the top of your hand at the base of the tree, and move until the top of the stick is exactly at the top of the tree. Where you are standing is the point is where the top of the tree will land when you cut it down..............assuming it goes the direction you want it to.
That's about as clear as mud! :crazy:

Since it looks like we are passing on wisdom from our Grandpas, here's a cool trick mine taught me. To figure out where the top of a tree will land, get a straight stick that is at least as long as your arm. Go to where you guesstimate the tree will land, and hold your arm (either one) out as far as you can with the stick in your hand. Now, take the top of your fist with the stick in it and turn it back so the stick is facing you. With your hand still extended, use your other hand to pull the top of the stick so that is slips in your hand until the top touches your forehead. Turn your hand back so that stick is sticking straight up. Put the point where the stick meets the top of your hand at the base of the tree, and move back or forward until the top of the stick is exactly at the top of the tree. Where you are standing is the point is where the top of the tree will land when you cut it down..............assuming it goes the direction you want it to.
Learned that recently except to touch the end of the stick to your cheekbone. When I tested it on a couple of trees the tree was about 4 feet farther than my marker, so touching your forehead would probably be closer to the mark.

Post #72: Sounds extremely useful. But I did not understand it either. Photos please, I'm a picture person.[/QUOTEBasically, get a stick that is the same length as the distance from your outstretched handDSCN0016.JPG
Post #72: Sounds extremely useful. But I did not understand it either. Photos please, I'm a picture person.
DSCN0016.JPG

I'm no artist, but this should give you the basic idea. It obviously isn't exact, but it will get you pretty close.

Latest posts

Back