Tips on Installing a Gauge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelvetFoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see that Cylinder Services sells a glycerine filled gauge. Is a snubber really needed? 3000 psi is a good range? Where should it be installed (I'm assuming a "T" is used)-close to the pump? On the pump? Where can one gets the fittings?
Thanks much.

my buddy has one plumbed just before the push side of his cylinder have never seen it hit more than 1500 psi peak his is inline mounted in the hose to the end of the cylinder p.s. I have also only see his splitter kick into low speed a dozen or so times so the full 22gpm is usually pushing right through most of our splitting needs.

Thanks.
I guess the inlet to the control valve would be a good spot.
I think I have a Prince ls-3000 valve, and I don't think that has a plug, although I'll look again.

I mounted my guage at the rear of the push cylinder in a tee. I'm only interested in 'push' preassure. My guage is replaced by a plug for normal operation and it is used on other hydraulic equipment that are fitted with such a tee and plug. Once installed on the splitter I may leave it in place for a few days but then it goes on a shelf in the shop.

My most common use for my pressure gage is to adjust the feed wheel pressure on my chipper.

On the splitter it is fun watching the gage Vs. ram speed as the two speed pump cycles in and out. Only the toughest wood kicks the pump into low speed. My pump in the 28gpm Barnes direct coupled to an 18hp Briggs IC and a 5" diameter cylinder.

Treeco - what is the cycle time of your setup (I am assuming it is a 24" stroke)?

I mounted my guage at the rear of the push cylinder in a tee. I'm only interested in 'push' preassure. My guage is replaced by a plug for normal operation and it is used on other hydraulic equipment that are fitted with such a tee and plug. Once installed on the splitter I may leave it in place for a few days but then it goes on a shelf in the shop.

My most common use for my pressure gage is to adjust the feed wheel pressure on my chipper.

On the splitter it is fun watching the gage Vs. ram speed as the two speed pump cycles in and out. Only the toughest wood kicks the pump into low speed. My pump in the 28gpm Barnes direct coupled to an 18hp Briggs IC and a 5" diameter cylinder.

wouldn't mounting it on the inlet port give the same reading? when your valve is in the "push" position, the ports are all open, therefore the reading should be the same, unless the valve restricts it some how....correct?

i'm not questioning your gage mount, but more just thinking out loud......

Sorry I didn't read your post until this AM. Lots of people mount the gauge in a tee just before the in port of the valve. That way it measures pressure regardless of whether you're pushing or pulling. Sometimes it's installed in the line between the valve and the base of the cylinder, reading only the push pressure, but eliminating any possible problems with the valve (which are rare.) On a logsplitter it's not a bad idea to take the gauge out and plug the tee when you're through setting and checking pressures. The glycerine filled gauges are pretty rugged, but they won't last forever with the vibration of a small gas engine. You won't need a snubber - the gauge has it's own restrictor which is adequate for a splitter.
And we stock a lot of fittings although they aren't on our web site.

Don the hydraulics guy

Not that I know of. I wouldn't put the gauge right on the pump anyway because of the vibration, unless you put a hose in between. Only the fancy industrial or hydrostatic pumps have gauge ports.

Don

Back