Tipsy 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Started not to ask this, but my 044 tips over with a 24" bar. Is this normal or is something out of whack?

Always had a 20" bar before.

I guess it doesn't hurt anything but I don't like it!!!!

Dan

It tips forward onto the nose. I have dawgs. and dogs too.

Thanks
Dan

"dawgs"... :rolleyes:

Funny how that guy with a goofy ebay auction write-up can get slammed by the same group of guys that types "dawgs" over and over and over and over and over and over...

I'm just sayin'...

My 044 with 24" bar will sit on the work bench without tipping forward, However it is a bit front heavy when held by the front handle. One of my saws was tipping forward when I was running it without dogs, spikes, dawgs (whatever you want to call them). When I added the spikes it stopped tipping. Anyway if you are worried about your chain cutting some dirt when you set it down running, kick on the chain brake. That is what I do when running a longer bar and found it is a good habit anyway.

Thanks Lakeside and CUCV

I wasn't trying to be a smartalec about the dawgs, that's how I would spell it too.
It just made me think of how our dogs (canine) could balance my saw

My Brother in law constantly engages his chainbrake and I always wondered if that was hard on the saw.
Or if it was hard on the clutch starting the saw with it engaged.

Thanks Dan

danl said:
I wasn't trying to be a smartalec about the dawgs, that's how I would spell it too.

Well, I was trying to be a bit of a smart alec about the spelling, I just hope I wasn't too much of one and "sorry" if I was one. I just get amused about some of the guys here sometimes. Here there is so much first-class info at the touch of a button, from real-world "been there/done that" pros all the way to statistic-spewing, theory-spouting, engineering professor types, and everything in between, I get all giggly when one of the first words we ever learned to spell is so butchered on a regular basis. D-O-G = "dog" C-A-T = "cat".

No malice intended, sorry if taken that way.

Both my 3120 and 066 tip forward with 36" and 42" bars on either one. The answer is completely scientific....leverage. Thats a lot of steel hanging out in front of the saw.

What you need is some kind of clip on "kickstand" then...:laugh:

Mark

My MS460 with 28" tips forward, as well. When it's in the tailgate or workbench, I slide one of those shorty scabbards on it to protect the chain from the surface and vice-versa. The only real drawbacks to the tip over are that (1) it's a bit cumbersome to adjust the chain tension, (2) I have to clamp the tail end down when filing the chain, but this helps in overall stability anyway, and (3) with standard single inboard dog, there's no real good tripod effect,, it wobbles side-to-side a bit.

I just wonder if having the extra dog set, with inboard and outboard components, would give it some roll resistance.

Maybe people spell them dawgs because that is the way the owners manuals ans parts books call them if they aren't labeled as spikes. I call them dawgs, and even though it is pronounced the same way dog is, they are DAWGS. Must be a cleveland thing with the dawgpound and all....

The 044 and 046/460 will accept the 066 dawgs. These will keep the saw from tipping with a larger bar. So to answer you question bob, the 066 dawgs should keep it from tipping, although my 066 likes to tip with a 32 on it.

My uncle used to have two English shepard dogs named Spook and Spike, I don't think he tied either one to his chainsaw though. But then it was a Xl12 with a 20" bar and didn't tip over.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I think I will just get a another set of spikes and put on my saw.

Dan

danl said:
I think I will just get a another set of spikes and put on my saw.

Attaboy!

Anyone have a set of 066/660 spikes for trade with some 361s? Is ther room in the standard Stihl case for upgraded spikes? Looks a bit cramped up there...

Freakingstang said:
The 044 and 046/460 will accept the 066 dawgs.

GRRR... Why is it that everyone assumes that since the 044 & 066 share the same dogs that they will also fit the 046? The 044R and 066R (full wrap) share the same dogs. The 046R has a unique outer dog that is about a half inch longer than that of the 044/066 version. If you would like your saw to look like dawg poo, you can mount a set of 046 dogs on your 044 (or vice versa), but the chain catcher won't line up, and the outer dog is the only one that will contact wood. Wonder which one you're looking at? The 044/066 has an 1122 prefix, and the 046 has an 1128 prefix.

tek9tim said:
GRRR... Why is it that everyone assumes that since the 044 & 066 share the same dogs that they will also fit the 046? The 044R and 066R (full wrap) share the same dogs. The 046R has a unique outer dog that is about a half inch longer than that of the 044/066 version. If you would like your saw to look like dawg poo, you can mount a set of 046 dogs on your 044 (or vice versa), but the chain catcher won't line up, and the outer dog is the only one that will contact wood. Wonder which one you're looking at? The 044/066 has an 1122 prefix, and the 046 has an 1128 prefix.

Well the wrap saws come with differant dawgs. We don't have those dawgs here in the east coast. Our 066's and 660's have the aluminum chain catcher mounted to the case, not the round plastic between the dawgs...

So, I can't answer the wrap dawg question, but I know for a fact that the standard 066/660 dawgs fit on both the 044/440 and 046/460. I can post pics if you would like.

I tip over a lot too. What does that mean?............

I commonly wake up with some real dawgs as well................................

Yeah, I also know of the dogs that come on a half wrap 660, and yes they will mount up on a 460. But, the inner dog will stick out further than the outer dog.

Edit: Perhaps not everyone is quite as obsessive/compulsive about their saws as I am.

Last edited:
Back