tired of the safety chain on my ms280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostnut

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm ready to step away from the safety chain with my ms280 and would like some recomendations on what to purchase. I've got a 20" bar on this saw which is the max the saw is rated for. If the non-safety chains make the saw pull much harder than I'll probably look for a 16" or 18" bar. It gets a good workout with the 20" in hardwood running the green link chain. I've got a couple of good stihl dealers nearby along with a TSC store which sells Oregon chains. What is your recomendation?

I'm ready to step away from the safety chain with my ms280 and would like some recomendations on what to purchase. I've got a 20" bar on this saw which is the max the saw is rated for. If the non-safety chains make the saw pull much harder than I'll probably look for a 16" or 18" bar. It gets a good workout with the 20" in hardwood running the green link chain. I've got a couple of good stihl dealers nearby along with a TSC store which sells Oregon chains. What is your recomendation?

What size chain are you running? .325 x .063 x 81 drive links?

Look at Bailey's (site sponsor) and get their Woodsman Pro chain. Cheap, durable, and just flat out good. As others will say, not as good as Stihl chain, but 1/2 the cost. I use it on almost all of my saws.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+20+23RC81&catID=823

With a good sharp cisel cutter and 20 inch bar it should be OK, but your asking a lot of that sized saw to pull it in hardwood.

16 inch chain is likely optimal.

Dont think brand matters much as long as it's a full sharp cornered chisel chain without all sorts of bumper ramps and guard links.

Keep it out of the dirt and sharp. Muffler mod will help too if your into that.

Good question on what chain, .325 on 20 will pull fine with 7 tooth gear, 3/8 with 7 pin is going to be a load on 20 inch bar.

Last edited:
I am going to asume you have .325 on your saw now? If you are cutting big wood with that saw I would give the Woodsman or as now called Woodland pro chain that Bailey's sells a try. Don't know if you have .50 or .63 gauge chain need more info. But their .50 gauge .325 Skip chain has been great for me in small saw's running longer bars. But then I only cut soft wood. The skip chain really helps my small saw's keeps the rpm up without boging down too much in bigger wood. But if you have .63 gauge chain your outa luck as it is only made in .50. The chain is made by Carlton now bought by oregon.

I'm on my first loop of Stihl Chain (with the yellow link) RSC (I Believe) I Love It. I Have it on a 20" bar. it's the first chain I have used where the Rooster Tail of Chips hitting your leg actually gets annoying, I Guess chaps are in order.

Last edited:
Look on ebay. There is a guy that sells oregon chain very cheap. I just bought 5 16" chains for my 346xp. The price was right arouns $52 shipped to my door. I bought 5 20inch chains a couple weeks ago and the price was something like $62. He ships fast.

Scott

Tell your dealer that you want non-saftey chisel or semi-chisel chain. Know what you are looking for before buying at TSC. I'd recommend going to a dealer and asking some questions about chain (there are a ton of variations). If you use Bailey's or Madsen's or some other logging house, call them direct. Most of those guys are both knowledgable and willing to help you out.

I've bought from them in the past. Very good people to deal with. When I got my last order in, there was a card with it that gave his direct site. It is www.discountsawchain.com.

If I remember right, he is really a NAPA store in Tennessee that sells saw items in addition to the car parts business.

I've also bought chain from Tony at Amick's. He is very good to deal with and has good prices on Oregon chain.

Last edited:
i bought woodland pro chains for my 142, 455 and for my 372xp (for the brief thim i had the 372 :( ) their great chains and dirt cheap. i ordered 3 for each saw. i was cutting in the woods and i dropped a big oak over a stone wall lol. anyway while i was limbing it and clearing out all the crap i accadently sawed a rock. :bang: i thought well thats smoked. i tried it anyway and it still cut great lol. its stoll on the saw now i gotta change it out tomorrow i think though. ill be goin over my parents house so i might as well sharpen all my chains on dads machine while im there :rock:

Latest posts

Back